Getting to know you??? Question #2...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Jeez, some folks are going way back...

Other than positions mentioned previously during my "professional" career, the only job I had was at a Trailways bus depot in high school and my first couple of years of college. I was a baggage handler (which included being janitor too), ticket agent, and even assistant terminal manager.

I tell ya', if you want your teens to get an abrupt lesson on how tough the real world can be, get 'em a job at an inter-city bus depot. It sure made me grow up FAST. Dunno' if it was the people or cleaning bus terminal restrooms when I was 16 that did it :eek:

It was also a trip as Bend was the main terminal for when the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh attempted to take over a part of Oregon by busing in a bunch of homeless folks to vote in local elections (circa '82). The homeless folks weren't the crackpots, it was all of the Shree Rajneesh that came in too. Those of you on the plus side of 40 probably remember this as it was plastered all over national news for quite a while. It was cool to see the Bhagwan's 80+ Rolls Royces there; even cooler to see them on several car carriers after the AG of Oregon shut 'em down and they left.

Glancing Aft

I am a civil engineer about 6 months away from getting my PE. I currently work doing highway geometric design. Prior to that I worked in Municipal/City Engineering, and before that I was a draftsman for Site Development firm. I've never held a job outside of the civil engineering field, and have been in it since I was 16, gulp...

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
I am a chemical engineer working for a large pharmaceutical company. I do process scale-up and technology transfer.

Essentially, I take the drug product formula (active ingredient plus all the other stuff like fillers, lubricants, etc) and figure out how to go from making it at the lab scale (in equipment reminiscent of kitchen appliances) to the production scale (in big honkin' shiny stainless steel equipment that all make cool noises and have lots of flashing lights and buttons and switches).

(1) So, I'm not a chemist - I don't discover drugs
(2) I'm not a formulator - I don't figure out what other ingredients need to be combined with the active ingredient to make a useful product (eg - tablet)

I am an equipment monkey. And I purportedly know stuff about mass and heat transfer.

Previous employment:
- Pest control technician
- Phone card wholesaler acc't rep
- Stocker for a large membership-based wholesale club
- Order picker for a now defunct auto performance parts warehouse (shout out to Performance Centers of America!!)
- Gas jockey
- Leach on my parents' bank account

I'm also a sagitarius and I like parasailing and long walks on the beach :D

Last edited:

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
I am a civil engineer about 6 months away from getting my PE. I currently work doing highway geometric design. Prior to that I worked in Municipal/City Engineering, and before that I was a draftsman for Site Development firm. I've never held a job outside of the civil engineering field, and have been in it since I was 16, gulp...

My favorite engineer joke:

Know the difference between mechanical engineers and civil engineers?

Mechanical engineers design weapons. Civil engineers design targets.

Pokgirl

Spork
Physicist at a semiconductor company before I left that career behind to take on domestic management.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
I am a mechanical engineer, recent grad of NJIT

I work at an engineering firm which supports nuclear power plants.

kerrybelle

I'm a Certified Orthodontic Assistant & Registered Dental Assistant. For those who've had braces, I'm one of the girls who changes the wires & such. You know, the one that makes your teeth hurt afterward.

Kerry

NJHCx4xLIFE

In another life, before kids I was the solo woman in NYC sales for Maersk Line container shipping.QUOTE]

Wierd... I'm in Maersk NYC apparel sales right now. Small world.

So to answer the question I'm in sales for container freight company importing apparel for companies in the NYC region.

Other than my unfortunate adult job I was forced to get after graduating college I was a bike shop floor sweeper then got promoted to trash and cardboard guy then was a wrench/sales guy in a shop as well. Now to hold on to the good old days I help at a shop 3 hours a week and during winter one weekend day too.

walter

Fourth Party
Walter do you give out free samples?
Maybe a case or three could ... fall off the truck, Jersey style?

For employment I put those annoying little stickers on the fruit you buy from local supermarkets. Be nice to me or I'll put on two stickers and press really hard!

RC

Don't you live near my facility in SP. You could just stop by hand help yourself.

What stores do you sticker at, I have probably seen you out there before.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Cashier @ Eckerd Pharmacy
Cashier @ Shop Rite
Sandwich maker @ Tastee Sub Shop
Car Detailer
Gym Checker inner guy
Fire Hydrant Painter
Baseball Umpire
Baseball field fixer upper

Professional annoyer. If you need my services just ask. No charge!
Wasn't Jake talking about hiring you to keep him laughing or something like that?

Rogers

I'm a certified public accountant. I use to work in a public accounting firm doing audits and tax returns. I also worked at a telecom company and a large home builder as an accounting manager. I currently work for an energy company as the manager of forecasting and financial analysis.

sixseven

im about to graduate with a fine arts degree...and moonlight as a bartender
Damn, I thought I was the only on with a degree in nothing!
Want an internship? Benefits include access to my set up of shopside skinnies and not much more...

M

master

Manager at a local ski resort and I own a landscape contracting business

Top Bottom