Getting to know you??? Question #2...

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I started in school as an artist , but ended up in bookkeeping. I guess I needed money to buy a house. Thirty years later.... I am a semi-retired A/R manager, and treasurer of small 150 year old importing company.

Way back I was:
equestrian instructor and horse trainer
photographer's assistant

Way, way back I was:
stable hand - one of my favorite jobs!
factory worker
arts and crafts maker

Mare

Early years:
-Farm market cashier
-Bike shop - did misc junk
-Horseback riding instructor
-Insurance company CS rep

After college, I did web design. I hated the fact that I was in a cube and talked to no one. So I quit and went back to school for a different degree (exercise science) and had the following jobs while in school:
-Physical therapy aid
-Chiropractic Assistant (I actually wanted to go to chiro school, but then I was sick and tired of science classes)

Currently: State job, on my arse, feeling it expand daily, but it allows me to surf mtbnj often. I hate it with a passion and regularly think of ways to quit on the spot, so I try to do things I enjoy outside of work as much as possible, except when I have killer headaches - then I sleep.

Ideally I want to end up doing something that involves teaching/helping people, while allowing me to use a lot of creativity and freedom from the 9-5 BS! My own studio would be nice, where I sell abstract photos and jewelry, play with clay, and whatever else I feel like doing.

Last edited:

MTBTyler

car dealers are not the place to be.
I know alot of people that have gotten laid off from dealers. It seems scary to be affraid to lose your job. What I cant understand is why my shop teacher and the people who represent there tech schools say dealers are "dream jobs"

anrothar

entirely thrilled
current: i'm a survey technician. it's like being a land surveyor only without the math and less pay. still my best paying steady job yet, and my favoritte as well. i get paid to hike around the alaskan wilderness and play with gps equipment. i also occasionally ride fourwheelers instead of hike, sometimes with tracks(instead of wheels). i also fabricate all the custom racks for the fourwheelers when needed. best job ever.

previous:
*hole digger for regional alaskan telephone cooperative. travelled all over the state digging holes. excellent, but seasonal, job with excellent benefits.
*parks and recreation maintenance for jefferson township, nj. excellent job with excellent benefits and retarded coworkers.
*bike assembler at dick's sporting goods in east hanover, nj. only for a month to get me on my feet after getting back from:
*sitting on my ass on a mexican beach, getting drunk before noon, and occasionally carving driftwood santas to ship up to north america to customers.
*mover. san fernando valley, ca.
*sand bag filler. same.
*photographic data collector. nyc. photos of intersections and street signs. rode my bike all day and made really good money. quit when they tried to send me to florida.
*bike messenger. nyc.
*wildflower harvester for nyc wildflower wholesaler. really fun, but part time and seasonal job.
*street vendor of photos. nyc.
*lbs guy. rt 15 bicycles. lake hopatcong, nj.
*quality control at a laser optics plant. oak ridge, nj.
*graphic designer. philadelphia.
*art bum. philly.
*bike messenger. philly.
*security, then major electronics, then tire sales. costco wholesale. wharton, nj.
*deli worker. ding dong dairy/deli. jefferson, nj.
*odd jobs in jefferson, nj.

i've been an outdoors kind of person my whole life and don't see that preference changing in the forseeable future. i don't like working inside. i don't like physically passive work. i don't want to work with computers(in the traditional sense anyway).

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
well i did work as a waiter for 2 years, and a landscaper in pompton plains area for a year before that, now im a full time student soooo no income for me :'(

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
I know alot of people that have gotten laid off from dealers. It seems scary to be affraid to lose your job. What I cant understand is why my shop teacher and the people who represent there tech schools say dealers are "dream jobs"

most are backed by car companies, and they are good jobs...but not in these days. lets see, when i left mazda 2 years ago our labor rate was $110 per hour. do you think that went down in recent times? nope. if anything it went up last year, people mostly take their cars to the dealer for warranty work. the place im at now is a little more then half that, i think we are $70per hr. people are keeping their cars longer and doing the repairs that it needs cause its paid off and one hit of $700-$900 on tires and some suspension work is better then 5yrs of a car payment and thats major most of it is maintenance work (easy) but you do run into some nice problem cars that you wish never you never pulled into your bay

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
graphic designer, full-time and freelance.

I Work with marketing folk to create: catalogs, packaging, POP displays, tradeshow graphics , ad campaigns, direct mailers, web ads, logos, magazine ads, posters....Basically I play in Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign all day.

I love it! but I work a ton!...sometimes until 3:00 AM

-Eric

Last edited:
Top Bottom