Trail Maintenance - don't do this

serviceguy

Now this has me poking around.

So much out there - so limited in NJ (see jumps thread)
Well, a lot of learning material which is good. I’m going to educate myself first, as I occasionally need to use my chainsaw and like to keep all my limbs and extremities attached where they are. Almost blinding myself while using a stupid manual pole saw in my own backyard kind of changed my perspective on the matter...still would be nice to be certified and be able to help with park maintenance.

johnbryanpeters

I have been USFS certified for a few years.

serviceguy

OK, so this maybe worth branching into another thread? @Patrick ?

Maybe listing other organizations that can get you certified, locations etc. Probably not too complicated to find out with a little digging on the interwebs but if someone already has the info readily available and feels to share, why not?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
OK, so this maybe worth branching into another thread? @Patrick ?

Maybe listing other organizations that can get you certified, locations etc. Probably not too complicated to find out with a little digging on the interwebs but if someone already has the info readily available and feels to share, why not?

Where some of us went:

It is a multi-day course, with classroom, repair bench, and field work.
I'm not sure if they run open sessions, or just demand based for groups.

Couple of big things I took away from it:
1. using a plunge cut to assess the core of standing/leaning tree, and to eliminate the need for wedges and bottom cuts when bucking/limbing (gravity helps immensely)
2. Never cut a standing, old, dead tree - the vibrations can dislodge branches, you can't get out of the way. Bring in the pros (or at least someone else ;) )
3. everything can go wrong. I almost got myself when i released a hanger, it hit another log that was levered over a trunk and swung it at me in my escape zone.

All the saw, and safety info was great.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

I think each county handles chainsaw approval / certification differently. I wouldn't assume that any cert will fulfill the requirements of the county.

Last edited:

pygmypony

Don’t get me wrong, I have a number of silky saws. But if it is big enough for a katana, minus will just take the chainsaw out.
much easier to carry a silky in a backpack when riding...plus, i like to feel like i'm working my core too!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
much easier to carry a silky in a backpack when riding...plus, i like to feel like i'm working my core too!
Right, but once you get above the 240 range, you are taking something like the katana to take out something big. Besides, I have this:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
^^^this is the way.

If going out specifically to do maintenance, then bring the house.
Having a gomboy for cleaning up a surprise 4"r is a different problem.

Katanaboy be like
1619712618591.png

Kaleidopete

Right, but once you get above the 240 range, you are taking something like the katana to take out something big. Besides, I have this:
Nice! I got this one and it works great

pygmypony

those backpacks look super sweet!

i currently carry all my gear in a gregory miwok 18. it pretty easily handles my trail boss (which if you haven't seen this, it's super awesome - i highly recommend) with two different heads, and all three silky saws, hydration, etc...even the katanaboy! that said, i only tote the katanaboy when i know there's something large enough that i want to take out. it's not an every ride sort of thing!

i've had the dewalt 16" electric chain in my hands on just about every home depot trip that i've made recently...but i just sort of like the idea of "analog" trail maintenance...at least for now. talk to me again in a year!

Tim

aka sptimmy43

i currently carry all my gear in a gregory miwok 18. it pretty easily handles my trail boss (which if you haven't seen this, it's super awesome - i highly recommend) with two different heads, and all three silky saws, hydration, etc...even the katanaboy! that said, i only tote the katanaboy when i know there's something large enough that i want to take out. it's not an every ride sort of thing!

i've had the dewalt 16" electric chain in my hands on just about every home depot trip that i've made recently...but i just sort of like the idea of "analog" trail maintenance...at least for now. talk to me again in a year!
The electric chainsaw is a pain to lug around (I don’t have a sweet pack to carry it). After a big storm with big blowdowns it makes quick work of multiple obstructions and even affords the opportunity to build pointless ”features.” 🤘😝🤘

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG

I've been eyeing the trailboss tools for years but they're just so damn expensive. It's exactly what i need, but i'll continue lugging multiple tools into the woods bc i'm cheap.

Karate Monkey

I've been eyeing the trailboss tools for years but they're just so damn expensive. It's exactly what i need, but i'll continue lugging multiple tools into the woods bc i'm cheap.

Looks good, but I'm secretly horrified that they didn't go full bike-cred and use S&S couplers.

Top Bottom