Trail Maintenance - don't do this

Cassinonorth

PXL_20211120_003447204.MP.jpg

This should help my bench cutting mission on my local trails

serviceguy

It's been a while, but since this has been a big part of recent TM where I live I thought I would share...

Do not waste good mineral soil on top of duff!

Make sure all duff has been removed before pouring mineral soil on top of it and tamper it. It may look good while dry but it becomes a water mattress as soon as heavy precipitation is involved, it won't last.

It would have fouled me but thankfully people that know what they're doing are calling the shots and all those spots are being reworked to perfection!

MuniMan

At Sterling we have a person or people who did a lot of lining/curbing with sticks and rocks this past summer and fall. Ostensibly to keep people on the narrow tread but in many cases interfering with the drainage and in general downright ugly in appearance. When doing drain clean out this fall I removed quite a few before I realized that mama nature didn’t put them.all there and that they weren’t cases of deadfall being pushed to the trail side.

3CEFCA9D-0D84-4D78-BDD4-B79B88023612.jpeg
82013D28-82C6-4276-A98F-96B504491876.jpeg

At a former muddy spot where rock and drainage was installed in 2021 someone decided that any possible bypass needed to be blocked and they used rocks to accomplish their goal. In the process they completely plugged up the drainage from the trail. I spent several days building and hardening the trail there and as such I treated the ‘mods’ with very little respect.

Blocked on the left and right.

035A9E83-D7E7-45CA-B59E-F522F19118B4.jpeg

opened up

CF0842FD-AAD7-4966-9283-B0772EACF3E9.jpeg

And my helper.

25463649-11C6-4835-B995-FB1FC629F168.jpeg

Last edited:

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
It's been a while, but since this has been a big part of recent TM where I live I thought I would share...

Do not waste good mineral soil on top of duff!

Make sure all duff has been removed before pouring mineral soil on top of it and tamper it. It may look good while dry but it becomes a water mattress as soon as heavy precipitation is involved, it won't last.

It would have fouled me but thankfully people that know what they're doing are calling the shots and all those spots are being reworked to perfection!
What we normally do is pull the top duff layer off then loosen the top with a mcleod that allows the new soil to get a foot hold.

Last edited:

serviceguy

I thought this would be worth mentioning here...not even sure what this is, didn't bother to remove it because there was plenty of room to avoid it and if you want to break your neck being stupid, why not...on Ringwood-Ramapo Knob. Bailey was like 'WTF dad?!?!' I guess I'll get to it next time.

trail 1.jpg

TRail 2.jpg

Top Bottom