Trail Maintenance - don't do this

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Over the last few years i've noticed a couple practices that should be avoided in our central NJ parks -
specifically 6MR, Sourlands, CR, the new section of RV, probably some of Nassau.

One item is leaving cleared logs/tree trunks to line the trail. (and the hikers placing them in the trail to bridge muddy areas.)
Hikers will walk on them, forcing them even deeper into the soil.

While I have no formal trail building training (@jdog teaches me a little each time we are out,)
it is obvious that water management with our soil is a key to sustainable trails.

Sometimes a fallen tree dictates the "new line" - no sense cutting into a 40+ inch trunk, when 15' away is a much easier cut, or going around a root ball is quicker.
Here is an example at CR, and what can happen.

1617990737037.png

The high side is to the left where a large tree fell, taking-out a bunch of smaller ones -
the trail between the two logs was a rutted mess a week ago - so this is improvement.
but why does the section leading in and away not have a problem? It is the embedded log on the right side.
(the right side bottom log is actually floating off the ground)

Water in the soil from the high side can not pass by the embedded log as easily - if at all. the trail softens,
and gets rutted - which then holds rain water which would run off the surface. take away that log, and that spot on the trail is just like the others.

A high side log also creates issues as it focuses water to pass around it.

Water will run uphill because of capillary action and adhesion (think about dipping the corner of a paper towel in water.) We want this capillary action to move water away -
with gravity doing the assist.

The same action results in all the exposed roots - only we don't have a choice there (actually we do). the roots keep the ground soft
between them after a rain - we ride it, loosen it up, and it washes away next storm. Esp on a hill.

We removed a bunch of these logs at the Sourlands over the last year with good results.

Got problem spots at your park - check to see if there are embedded logs/sticks near the trail.
Note that multiple sticks set perpendicular to the trail, or deep rock armoring without gaps between the rocks can also create a problem.

Now what type of work has J been doing at 6MR to remediate the perpetually wet areas? Rather than the water going where it wants,
he has been creating channels, and grade reversals to move water away from the trails. Creating low spots for water to collect and
drain away - We could use a few channels above the trails at the Sourlands,
to get the water to our armored crossings, or small bridges.

1617994668689.png

it looked bad when we did it - but dried quickly. Haven't been there this year. How's it doing?

Patrick

Staff member
I'd love a running series of posts on proper trail maintenance with examples like this. Super interesting and useful information.

I was hoping for this - lots of people on here have formal training, or years of experience.
Just some pointers for the different parks. we have such a range of soils and topography.

Moving away from fall-line trails, and learning proper bench cutting has helped.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I started to post an angry rant about the following on the Mahlon conditions thread yesterday and stopped myself...

Somebody has tried to “line” the beginning of Ghost with logs and branches and it has caused a complete cluster f*. They were trying to block bypasses on a twisty section where two parts of trail come within a few feet of one another so people were just cutting across. They didn’t do anything to actually block these cut through a amd now the “guide logs” have shifted and the whole section is confusing as fuck AND RETAINING WATER. I’ve ridden this trail hundreds of times (I think I might be local legend haha) and ended up completely off course yesterday because it was so confusing.

Sorry, rant over, but seemed relevant.

Last edited:

w_b

I started to post an angry rant about the following on the Mahlon conditions thread yesterday and stopped myself...

Somebody has tried to “line” the beginning of Ghost with logs and branches and it has caused a complete cluster f*. They were trying to block bypasses on a twisty section where two parts of trail come within a few feet of one another so people were just cutting across. They didn’t do anything to actually block these cut through a amd now the “guide logs” have shifted and the whole section is confusing as fuck AND RETAINING WATER. I’ve ridden this trail hundreds of times (I think I might be local legend haha) and ended up completely off course yesterday because it was so confusing.

HBD!

serviceguy

My opinion about trail maintenance is that if don't know what you're doing (had no formal training or several TM sessions with a trained trail builder) you shouldn't do it. In this spirit I only attend TM sessions organized by the local JORBA crew, or report issues on the trails to them.

Karate Monkey

My opinion about trail maintenance is that if don't know what you're doing (had no formal training or several TM sessions with a trained trail builder) you shouldn't do it. In this spirit I only attend TM sessions organized by the local JORBA crew, or report issues on the trails to them.

Lots of good you can do, still. Look up what drainage channels/knicks look like, take a hoe/rake with you, and go for a walk. In a well-worked park, this is most of the problem when a trail suddenly starts holding water. Pat posted the other problem.

Natch, that doesn't include stupid shit like the paving company pointing a road drain directly down a trail (looking at you, Hartshorne).

serviceguy

Lots of good you can do, still. Look up what drainage channels/knicks look like, take a hoe/rake with you, and go for a walk. In a well-worked park, this is most of the problem when a trail suddenly starts holding water. Pat posted the other problem.

Natch, that doesn't include stupid shit like the paving company pointing a road drain directly down a trail (looking at you, Hartshorne).
You're assuming I have a basic comprehension of gravity and hydraulic or just comprehension all together...I'm flattered by you're overestimating me!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Cliff notes version:

1. don’t line the trails with logs, it isn’t good for drainage

the hikers really love to do this and I always toss the sticks elsewhere, I removed a few this week at my locals. It happens frequently enough that I figure they teach it at hiker user group meetings.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG

There is a new trail manager at the Morris County Park Commission that is very engaged and proactive. You may see changes in any trail, at any of the Morris County parks At this point we should consider these changes to be done by the park commission. Now as to whether you like them or not, I would recommend that we extend some tolerance and patience to first find out the plan before "correcting" anything. All indications are that we have an opportunity for a new and very positive relationship, with a person very willing to discuss the plan with us.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
I'd rather this stay positive - I've even considered a hiker's gate at a couple of places in 6MR where the trails turn back on themselves.
hiker cuts through and goes the wrong way, cause no signage - switchbacks might be tiring.
Isn't the end of of the world. totally different than rogue trails that cut out major portions - although I'm not sure i really care if they are sustainable.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There is a new trail manager at the Morris County Park Commission that is very engaged and proactive. You may see changes in any trail, at any of the Morris County parks At this point we should consider these changes to be done by the park commission. Now as to whether you like them or not, I would recommend that we extend some tolerance and patience to first find out the plan before "correcting" anything. All indications are that we have an opportunity for a new and very positive relationship, with a person very willing to discuss the plan with us.
I’m very excited about the new trail manager and I registered for volunteer work at all the Morris parks. Excited to see places like LewMo and Mahlon get some love!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Over the last few years i've noticed a couple practices that should be avoided in our central NJ parks -
specifically 6MR, Sourlands, CR, the new section of RV, probably some of Nassau.

One item is leaving cleared logs/tree trunks to line the trail. (and the hikers placing them in the trail to bridge muddy areas.)
Hikers will walk on them, forcing them even deeper into the soil.

While I have no formal trail building training (@jdog teaches me a little each time we are out,)
it is obvious that water management with our soil is a key to sustainable trails.

Sometimes a fallen tree dictates the "new line" - no sense cutting into a 40+ inch trunk, when 15' away is a much easier cut, or going around a root ball is quicker.
Here is an example at CR, and what can happen.

View attachment 155390

The high side is to the left where a large tree fell, taking-out a bunch of smaller ones -
the trail between the two logs was a rutted mess a week ago - so this is improvement.
but why does the section leading in and away not have a problem? It is the embedded log on the right side.
(the right side bottom log is actually floating off the ground)

Water in the soil from the high side can not pass by the embedded log as easily - if at all. the trail softens,
and gets rutted - which then holds rain water which would run off the surface. take away that log, and that spot on the trail is just like the others.

A high side log also creates issues as it focuses water to pass around it.

Water will run uphill because of capillary action and adhesion (think about dipping the corner of a paper towel in water.) We want this capillary action to move water away -
with gravity doing the assist.

The same action results in all the exposed roots - only we don't have a choice there (actually we do). the roots keep the ground soft
between them after a rain - we ride it, loosen it up, and it washes away next storm. Esp on a hill.

We removed a bunch of these logs at the Sourlands over the last year with good results.

Got problem spots at your park - check to see if there are embedded logs/sticks near the trail.
Note that multiple sticks set perpendicular to the trail, or deep rock armoring without gaps between the rocks can also create a problem.

Now what type of work has J been doing at 6MR to remediate the perpetually wet areas? Rather than the water going where it wants,
he has been creating channels, and grade reversals to move water away from the trails. Creating low spots for water to collect and
drain away - We could use a few channels above the trails at the Sourlands,
to get the water to our armored crossings, or small bridges.

View attachment 155391

it looked bad when we did it - but dried quickly. Haven't been there this year. How's it doing?
This spot is now solid. It had a big puddle here in the past. The mistake here was trying to run a machine after the freeze/thaw cycle had started.

I'll do some more work here once I get a free moment.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I'd rather this stay positive - I've even considered a hiker's gate at a couple of places in 6MR where the trails turn back on themselves.
hiker cuts through and goes the wrong way, cause no signage - switchbacks might be tiring.
Isn't the end of of the world. totally different than rogue trails that cut out major portions - although I'm not sure i really care if they are sustainable.
FWIW, I would rather not see man made gates to block off a cut through trail and turn a natural into a place with a fence or a cattle shoot

Patrick

Staff member
FWIW, I would rather not see man made gates to block off a cut through trail and turn a natural into a place with a fence or a cattle shoot
That is because you are thinking fence and gate. I'm not thinking that at all.

Top Bottom