Trail Maintenance - don't do this

Frank

Sasquatch
They let them paint every tree like that at parvins. Every time I run there I want to stop in the office and give them shit for letting it happen. They paint every root orange also. Idiots.
That’s horrible. I once offered to give someone a spray paint enema after I caught him red handed painting a course…..NOT my finest moment. After a lot of on line bullshit they came and removed the paint. But sadly that involved scaling the paint off.
People often paint marks on trees and rather than scrape the bark off we use grey and dark red primer paint to cover the paint. It works pretty well.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
That’s horrible. I once offered to give someone a spray paint enema after I caught him red handed painting a course…..NOT my finest moment. After a lot of on line bullshit they came and removed the paint. But sadly that involved scaling the paint off.
People often paint marks on trees and rather than scrape the bark off we use grey and dark red primer paint to cover the paint. It works pretty well.
For the MASS series, they freshly spray paint trees and rocks with arrows for the race at Nesh. Drives me nuts.

At a neighboring park the runners spray paint arrows on the trees for rogue races they hold.

And running events at Mercer county park spray paint the trees as well.

It is embarrassing how common it is.

serviceguy

Tree bark is boring, spray paint is fun!

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Haha, what a mess of bad timing that storm was. On the plus side,I improved drainage in the worst damaged areas so in the end it “should” be better in the future

I took apart the bike I raced that day to swap the crankset. The amount of dirt in the frame was unbelievable. Like handfuls. It must have been from that race.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
you did what, where? please explain
I do 60% of my trail work at the trails behind Neshaminy HS in Langhorne, PA. It is the location of the Guy's Nesh Classic, which is part of MASS.

Trail were basically perfect the Friday before the race, it was easily the best conditions the race course saw in years. Unfortunately very heavy rain (torrential) started the morning of the race and completely gutted a few sections of the course. New lines were created well off the trail tread and anything that held even the smallest bit of water was destroyed. It only took me about 20 hours of my hours and 20 of others hours to fix post race, but that is 40 hours we could have been spent doing something else.

V-Dub

I do 60% of my trail work at the trails behind Neshaminy HS in Langhorne, PA. It is the location of the Guy's Nesh Classic, which is part of MASS.

Trail were basically perfect the Friday before the race, it was easily the best conditions the race course saw in years. Unfortunately very heavy rain (torrential) started the morning of the race and completely gutted a few sections of the course. New lines were created well off the trail tread and anything that held even the smallest bit of water was destroyed. It only took me about 20 hours of my hours and 20 of others hours to fix post race, but that is 40 hours we could have been spent doing something else.
exactly how I feel

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
it really doesn't bother me but just so you know the spray caulk arrows are still very visible in the parking lot

It wasn't chalk then -

I'll be up there to set the new course for this year's race. Will review.

serviceguy

It wasn't chalk then -

I'll be up there to set the new course for this year's race. Will review.
So, does that mean that you chalk it up to not being chalk? How does that make any sense?
bzaflp0rp3bmcdh6noxn.gif

stilluf

Hoping to utilize the MTBNJ hive brain.
Local bike haters have taken it upon themselves to perform trail "maintenance" by lining a local trail on both sides with logs, stick, branches, etc (assume they had land manager permission, though this isn't clear).

I don't know why they did this except perhaps to keep people on the trail. I do know that this approach is incorrect from a sustainability standpoint, and is also a safety issue.

Can anyone point me to literature, a website, anything, that can be used to educate both the local bike haters, as well as the land manager, that this approach is incorrect and should be reversed?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Hoping to utilize the MTBNJ hive brain.
Local bike haters have taken it upon themselves to perform trail "maintenance" by lining a local trail on both sides with logs, stick, branches, etc (assume they had land manager permission, though this isn't clear).

I don't know why they did this except perhaps to keep people on the trail. I do know that this approach is incorrect from a sustainability standpoint, and is also a safety issue.

Can anyone point me to literature, a website, anything, that can be used to educate both the local bike haters, as well as the land manager, that this approach is incorrect and should be reversed?
No very useful, however:

Page 11, last paragrph
The Finished Product: Trail should be open and flowing featuring sweeping turns smooth compacted surfaces with long, extended rollers and/or table tops. Wide tread with long sight lines reassure less-skilled riders and enable skilled riders to go faster. Tread surface compacted and sloped five percent, compacted backslope. Visual appearance: natural. Do not line the trail with logs, sticks or rocks that can trap water. Trail must meet designated CAMBA Technical Trail Classification.

Hair Face

I ride there occasionally and wondered if the school had a crew working out there or if there was a group of volunteers that did trail work. Do you go solo or with a group? Is there a set schedule or communication chain? I might be able to chip in from time to time.......

Top Bottom