Trail Maintenance - don't do this

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Water goes:
45731F4B-4A7F-4E80-9D69-841B38D888E6.jpeg

this is a common spot where hikers pile sticks and logs.
B8F1FA1B-AFD1-4349-BA59-2BE089CBD1D4.jpeg

I removed them but it really needs some grading.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I will never understand, someone takes the time to trim the trails and leave the crap on the trail. I’ll maybe give a pass for a weed wacker, even though you can use a technique to move things away from the trail. But these were cut by hand and just dropped right in the tread.
98B72E4D-005B-4528-9390-F614CDB29955.jpeg
606AC0E3-B5BB-45D6-BE00-AD99B693138C.jpeg

literally took seconds to move

JDurk

This was posted on a SJ riding location FB page, some of you may have seen it. 83 comments so far. My 760mm bars have never had a problem getting thru, same for many of the others commenting. This makes me angry.

1622559687894.png

Ian F

This happens to be a new trail cut, that would have been some wild overgrowth
Where is that? Nesh? Keeping face-slappers away there is a constant battle.

Pennypack is even worse. We rode there on Sat and my arms and legs are all scratched up. Granted, much of that is from one of the newer trails that is somewhat hidden and really overgrown, although it does look like someone is trying to take care of it. Definitely one of those trails if you don't know it's there, you'd ride by the entrance/exit without seeing it. Currently not on Trailforks, nor a Strava segment.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Where is that? Nesh? Keeping face-slappers away there is a constant battle.

Pennypack is even worse. We rode there on Sat and my arms and legs are all scratched up. Granted, much of that is from one of the newer trails that is somewhat hidden and really overgrown, although it does look like someone is trying to take care of it. Definitely one of those trails if you don't know it's there, you'd ride by the entrance/exit without seeing it. Currently not on Trailforks, nor a Strava segment.
Yes, nesh. The face slappers have made progress in the last couple weeks.

Ian F

Yes, nesh. The face slappers have made progress in the last couple weeks.
Cool. I'm interested in seeing where it is, although with the weather forecast for this week and a car club event tomorrow, it might be next week before I ride there.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Sweet! I look forward to finding and trying it out! Approximately where is it on the loop?
Behind the stadium, the trail after it still needs to be brought down to dirt but is rideable

Last edited:

Ian F

Thanks for your work! I'm planning to head over there after work today. Looking forward to checking out the new section with the log-ramp.

Yeah... When the wind starts blowing I get the hell out of those woods as fast as I can. So many times I've ridden past tree limbs skewered into the ground. Don't want to be in the area when that happens.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
At any of my local parks, fallen trees are removed, within days, if not a day. Even so, some people spend their time finding branches to build up even the smallest logs:
B9D9B582-A801-4CDF-BED2-5C44B1031A88.jpeg

This was at nesh, 8” log, easily movable by one person (no saw needed). Saw a similar one like this at Core Creek, similar build up. I am somewhat impressed by how quickly people do this, however I just toss it all.

BananaFred

At any of my local parks, fallen trees are removed, within days, if not a day. Even so, some people spend their time finding branches to build up even the smallest logs:
View attachment 171120
This was at nesh, 8” log, easily movable by one person (no saw needed). Saw a similar one like this at Core Creek, similar build up. I am somewhat impressed by how quickly people do this, however I just toss it all.
the crazy part is if you come over that log left to right, that stray branch on the far right can make you endo.

Top Bottom