Trail Maintenance - don't do this

Here is a gem of a hiker-created ‘bridge’ at chimney on orange at Gilbride Rd.

Attachments

• E4BF65B5-679E-432B-8B58-4AE6B6A76D7E.jpeg
    E4BF65B5-679E-432B-8B58-4AE6B6A76D7E.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 206
Finally made my way to do some work at Baldpate. Some late winter (don’t do this) riders really f’ed a few sections so I tried to adjust those. The dirt was too wet to properly grade so I have to go back when it dries out a bit. This area is bad anyways, a stream when it rains and water coming down the trail. Opened up the whole lower side
7E6EF2B7-E330-421D-97B8-1E209375836C.jpeg

64ED1D35-107B-4067-8AA8-98B4DDFAE340.jpeg

51702A59-8837-48E9-A7F5-9CA181CF76D5.jpeg

Not sure if by design or just disposal of chopped off logs, but this was the only really wet patch on Crossover at Ringwood on Saturday. The opening between the two logs is actually the lowest part of this section, but the accumulation of debris and dead leaves had formed a dam. I don't have tools so I just used a piece of wood to open up the flow of water downstream. Didn't wait for the water to drain completely but it was going down fast.

Not sure what the correct action would be in this case, as the logs 'maybe' holding the armoring together. Maybe just digging a step down in front of the opening between the two logs to make sure leaves don't get jammed and stop the drainage?

TM-Crossover.jpg

if the logs are easily moved, i would move them. At least the one in the foreground looks easy to move, though not sure how long it is. I would also dig out the ditch between them a little more.

if the logs are easily moved, i would move them. At least the one in the foreground looks easy to move, though not sure how long it is. I would also dig out the ditch between them a little more.
I think they're moveable, I just wasn't 'dressed' for the occasion as this was during an impromptu 3 hours hike I took while getting my winter tires swapped.

this log had been sitting up against this consistently muddy turn in the tingley woods...gave me a chance to use my new Katana Boy and cut it up and drag it completely out of the way (don't have a proper "after" pic)...

my hope is that will help with the drainage going fwd...and the Katana Boy is REEDICULOUS!

ImOz5bkHQ96Pb4wMKCDj%w.jpg

this log had been sitting up against this consistently muddy turn in the tingley woods...gave me a chance to use my new Katana Boy and cut it up and drag it completely out of the way (don't have a proper "after" pic)...

my hope is that will help with the drainage going fwd...and the Katana Boy is REEDICULOUS!

View attachment 156555

couldn't hurt. what's up with the one on the right? looks like there is a nick to get the water under it.

were the leaves blown off the trail? I'd leaf them ;)

nice tool!

Is there any scheduled training/certification class ant time soon, preferably in NNJ?
We trained a bunch in 2019 for chainsaw, but not sure when the next would be. There has to be a significant number of committed volunteers to warrant the time and expense. Contact your chapter lead and perhaps some basic training can be done by them.

We trained a bunch in 2019 for chainsaw, but not sure when the next would be. There has to be a significant number of committed volunteers to warrant the time and expense. Contact your chapter lead and perhaps some basic training can be done by them.
What would be a significant number, just to get an idea? Are there any other associations that do such classes? Thanks.

Now this has me poking around.

So much out there - so limited in NJ (see jumps thread)

Back
Top Bottom