need for wayfinding signage?

wonderturtle

first, as I have said previously, much appreciation to those that have worked so hard to build and maintain the trails at 6 Mile.

So dont take this as a criticism, but a suggestion to make 6 Mile that much better...

wayfinding signage to get people back to the Route 27 lot.

I have been there probably half a dozen times, but as I posted earlier last week, I got hopelessly lost in the twisties this week.

It isnt hard to get lost in there. the trails are very twisty, cross over eachother, and there is a total lack of easily identifiable landmarks to find your way.

some carefully placed wayfinding signage would really help those who havent memorized the trails yet.

just something to think about.

sixseven

Worst case: someone rides there for the first, second time, they take a spill and get hurt. It could take a while to figure out the way back.
The canal side is pretty well marked and its subtle.
For the 27 side, I would guess that there are only 10-12 intersections that need to be marked. It wouldn't take anything away from the trails.
The twisties rule, but getting lost in them turns a ride into a mobious strip.

The Kalmyk

With it getting busier, I would say it is inevitable at some point...If it were to happen it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep them north...This is also a quick exit and keeps lost beginers out of the twisties...

Sircrashalot

I was born with no sense of direction. I used to ALWAYS be lost in the trails. I just made sure I had plenty of daylight to allow myself to be lost awhile. Then a friend gave me the simplest, best advice. Note where the sun is before you leave the parking lot, and think about what time of day it is. Then, unless it gets dark or starts pouring rain, you can always tell what direction the lot is from anywhere......

Also, there are signs at the trail intersections. They just arent wooden boards with paint & letters. One has a berm to the left. Another has a hanging vine type thing on one side, etc., another a leaning half fallen tree.
Just stop at each intersection and find a unique naturally occurring sign to help with your bearings later. You'd be surprised how easy it is.

That being said I see your point about newbies....I just worry that then there need to be disclaimer signs, and warning signs near each root, and warnings about not reading the warnings while riding because you could crash, and then a smoothie stand (with warnings on the cups), and then we can just build a mall......lol I dunno....

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
There are a few shortcuts that have been ridden into trails this year.

I plan on making the shortcuts go away and adding a new re-route section that will make the loop more obvious.

As of late my efforts have all gone into new trail building.

Things will get better over the winter.

j

Wobbegong

There are some new markers out in the twisties, more on the way.

I personally dont like markers, but I understand they are needed to prevent people from getting lost.

Its always a good idea to learn the trails, it happens over time, keep riding!

wonderturtle

I really dont think it would take much. as sixseven? said..."I would guess that there are only 10-12 intersections that need to be marked. It wouldn't take anything away from the trails."

and the signs would not have to be big at all. probably 2 or 3 inches square. that's all. that wouldnt take away from the experience one bit.

6 mile is certainly unique. but that uniqueness (twisty/ cross-crossing trails) makes it particularly easy to get lost. the fact that alot of the area was once a tree farm (with much of the area being comprised of the same type and size of tree) leaves VERY few clear landmarks compared to other forests.

as far as the comment about the trail being "obvious".....huh?

Last edited:

warcricket

Like a Jerk
considering that all the trails essentially reconnect and lead to the same place. i think it might be a good idea to label them by like 'shorter' or 'longer'.
just a thought.

otherwise, i thought getting lost was half the fun when i started out.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
as far as the comment about the trail being "obvious".....huh?

yes, in the twisties there is a very obvious trail, but I guess people get consfused at the very few instersections. I still think half the fun of learning a place is finding your way, I learned the whole place without riding with one person and I don't every remember having that lost feeling. With the addition of the new trail off the red, it may be confusing where it dumps you out but not so much to be lost.

Ride it, learn it, love it.

Wobbegong

Also, Print the google earth maps we have posted in the Map post and bring them along. You'll figure it out with little effort.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Learn it

Just ride while there's still enough daylight until you know the place without question.

The unmarked twisties are by design to confuse outsiders and keep them from finding Six Mile Valhalla.

Jay - If you're going to shut some shortcuts down - please leave the southside trail open - its a great timesaver when you need to rush back to the car and want to dispense with the twisties.

Speaking of which - that's an easy way to avoid getting lost. First left at the bottom of the hill after the powerlines. Of course, then you miss all the twisty goodness.

THATmanMANNY

Saw the markers this weekend. ICK.

Pretty sure this has all been said in one way or another:
Follow GPS map. The only way you'll learn is riding it over and over and recognizing the turns. Do some exploring. That is half the fun being in the woods & discovering things on your own will lead to a better understanding of any trial system. Compass always an option too.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
practice practice practice! the new markers SHOULD be enough to get through the trails now.

BiknBen

Jay - If you're going to shut some shortcuts down - please leave the southside trail open - its a great timesaver when you need to rush back to the car and want to dispense with the twisties.

I don't think he intends to close that trail. There have been some dumb shortcuts made through the Twisties that need to get shut down. Those shortcuts make the Twisties even more confusing and don't add any value. Time for the Js to lay down the law. :getsome:

I have been there dozens of times and still get crossed up when riding the Twisties. I don't try to fight it any more. :eek:

Wobbegong

This trail isnt going anywhere. Its the little connecting shortcuts in the twisties that will have to go away. They add nothing but confusion.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i think we can use some stop signs and stop lights in there too. maybe some water fountains and a place where i can wash my golf balls. hahah nah im just kidding. i dont play golf.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions