need for wayfinding signage?

Sircrashalot

just think a few signs placed here or there might help the hopelessly lost. but whatever. I'll be there wednesday afternoon getting lost again :)

I hear ya....and I think everybody agrees that it would suck to be a noob there & get hurt & not be able to describe where you are.....but thats a risk of riding. ....but 'just a couple of signs' is a slippery slope. Look around. Somebody somewhere had the same thought about 'just a few signs in the whole big world' and now there are big orange squares and
symbols like at the top of this reply EVERYWHERE. Just take out the manual for your bike, or anything else. Its not a manual, its a collection of disclaimers. Drive down the street. Signs all over the place & clearly nobody is reading any of them....

IRISH....thanks for the Emmy....I will not be able to accept in person as I am hopelessly lost trying to find the titty bar in 6MR ...

BiknBen

There are lots of things going on at 6-mile. Some things are higher on the list of priorities than others. Miles of new single-track have been created in the last year to address previous concerns.

The trails that you speak of have only recently been officially recognized by the parks dept. This was the result of the MTB community efforts. Everything between S Middlebush and Rt 27 was previously ignored by the rangers. Proper signage will come in due time. We just got proper cross-walk signage at S. Middlebush so we don't have to worry about getting run over at that road crossing.

There will be a trail maint. session this Sunday at 6-Mile. Come out and meet the people who are making all this possible. Bring up your concerns with those in a position to make change. Otherwise you will just get beat up on the inter-web. :rolleyes:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7722

tim.stevens

I hear ya....and I think everybody agrees that it would suck to be a noob there & get hurt & not be able to describe where you are.....but thats a risk of riding. ....but 'just a couple of signs' is a slippery slope. Look around. Somebody somewhere had the same thought about 'just a few signs in the whole big world' and now there are big orange squares and
symbols like at the top of this reply EVERYWHERE. Just take out the manual for your bike, or anything else. Its not a manual, its a collection of disclaimers. Drive down the street. Signs all over the place & clearly nobody is reading any of them...

"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?"

Tim.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
if you come to a fork, follow the path that looks more traveled :p

there is enough signs now to get you through without a problem. if you come to a fork and dont see any directions, GO STRAIGHT

wonderturtle

"if you come to a fork in the road - take it"

actually I might try the George Costanza method - I am going to go the OPPOSITE direction my intuition is telling me to go. since I always get lost following the paths that I think are right. I am going to take the direction that I think is wrong each time. that way I am certain I'll get back to the parking lot without a hitch.

Last edited:
Signage at Six Mile? NO WAY!!!!

DUDES... I implore you... No signs, PLEASE!!! That would be like adding a guardrail to the edge of the Porcupine Rim Trail...

WHAT MAKES THE MAZE AT SIX MILE so great is the fact that you CAN actually loop around a few times until you realize you're lost. That's part of the lure and mystique of this place. When the signs go up, I'm afraid Six Mile will have "jumped the shark", and the Pacific bikes will quickly outnumber the Specialized and Cannondales...

THERE IS a simple rule of thumb to follow when navigating the "maze" section on the Rte 27 side (and this could be described on a placard at the Rte 27 entrance to the trails): When you get into the maze heading towards Middlebush, you can always bear LEFT and you'll find your way through... Bear RIGHT coming the opposite way and you'll be fine.

Help keep Six Mile beautiful... No signs... A master map... maybe.... but no signs... Sorry to be such a drag to the tourists.

Peace,
BB

BABOYTOY

I agree with BobbyB of the Montclair Klan. Signs would be a downer but we could paint some arrows on some turtles and hope they stay put:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sorry, I can't help my self:getsome:

BABOYTOY

DUDES... I implore you... No signs, PLEASE!!! That would be like adding a guardrail to the edge of the Porcupine Rim Trail...

WHAT MAKES THE MAZE AT SIX MILE so great is the fact that you CAN actually loop around a few times until you realize you're lost. That's part of the lure and mystique of this place. When the signs go up, I'm afraid Six Mile will have "jumped the shark", and the Pacific bikes will quickly outnumber the Specialized and Cannondales...

THERE IS a simple rule of thumb to follow when navigating the "maze" section on the Rte 27 side (and this could be described on a placard at the Rte 27 entrance to the trails): When you get into the maze heading towards Middlebush, you can always bear LEFT and you'll find your way through... Bear RIGHT coming the opposite way and you'll be fine.

Help keep Six Mile beautiful... No signs... A master map... maybe.... but no signs... Sorry to be such a drag to the tourists.

Peace,
BB

Four lefts or rights and you are going straight:confused:

rlb

Got lost w/ my gf our first time at 6 mile. I was loving it, but she wasn't quite as amused. Anyway, getting lost was how I've come to find my way around. Its pretty fun!

wonderturtle

I didnt make the suggestion for "selfish reasons"....I'll simply keep riding and learn the trails. and I agree, getting lost in there IS fun (unless you have to be somewhere :( )

I just thought a few very small trailmarkers might help the hopelessly lost.

but whatever.

Last edited:

MTBTyler

I didnt make the suggestion for "selfish reasons"....I'll simply keep riding and learn the trails. and I agree, getting lost in there IS fun (unless you have to be somewhere :( )

I just thought a few very small trailmarkers might help the hopelessly lost.

but whatever.
I didnt meen it like that, I ment for it to be like a joke because anyone who hasnt been to rt27 side WILL get lost there first time and what you said about the making lefts is true but to someone who hasnt been there, it sounds confusing.

wonderturtle

mtbtyler - I wasnt responding to your post.

my last comment was more of a global "I give up"

see you on the trails.

BABOYTOY

I didnt meen it like that, I ment for it to be like a joke because anyone who hasnt been to rt27 side WILL get lost there first time and what you said about the making lefts is true but to someone who hasnt been there, it sounds confusing.

I have been there a lot and I am still lost everytime. One day I will understand and harness the wonderment of the Maze, one day I tell ya.

Turtle Dude, we do more riding in there in the fall and winter on tuesdays, come and join our band of merry men and pay omage to the Maze.

ps, I'm the guy that fixed your flat and gave you the skull light that brought you to safety;)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think the saying goes something like, with great responsibility comes great...resp...oh, I don't know what the expression is.

Point is this. As this park becomes more "legit" the trails will need markers. I think the people rallying against markers should try and understand the other side of the coin. I'm sure the Allamuchy regulars feel the same way about markers there.

Sircrashalot

mtbtyler - I wasnt responding to your post.

my last comment was more of a global "I give up"

see you on the trails.

You may not give up now, or I guess you may, but the monster you created with this thread now has its own life & will live on :rofl:

Actually, I rode 6MR last night (ahem...afternoon but got lost and stuck in the dark of course) and there are new trail markers all over the place. I thought they were metal and was cringing thinking of the day when I WILL crash into one....but then I thwacked one with my hand and they are all flexy and wouldnt hurt much....they aren't terrible but in the dark (that we got caught in accidentally of course) my lights lit them up from way back and took away from some of the creepyness and total disorientation of the ride. I spose the only thing that stays the same is change...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions