Getting to Know You??? Question #3...

Nimrod

Besides guitar playing....I suck

Coaching Baseball teams, really get into it, hence my lack of fitness.

This year I had local High School Baseball team (10th graders) for the late spring summer program. Coached about 60 games this summer, my kids did well, came in third place in two different tournaments.

This was very note worthy because they where constantly playing against, (and beating) 17 and 18 years teams who where bigger, faster and stronger then them.

Disclosure: I (the manager) also got thrown out of two games this year for Umpire "confrontations". Like I said really get into it.

Coaching at this level is the most fustratating / rewarding thing I've ever done with kids. There was days I was packing it in for good "this is not fun... the funking time commitment here is insane... this sucks.. etc). But next year I'll be back.

Suhr40

These days I am pretty much consumed with my three kids, their activities, and working to pay for the activities. I think it's a common theme among us.
There was a time I enjoyed painting, brewing beer, hiking, kayaking, bmx racing, shooting, trail running, and rc car racing. I still occasionally get to do some of these things, but I generally choose to go for a ride with my free time. When my kids are bigger and more independant, I will hopefully have a bit more time for hobbies, but in the meantime I would not trade the dad stuff for anything.

RNG1

Like a few have noted above, being a dad obviously changes everything if you have your priorities right. Amazing for me when I think about it considering in my past life I was a full time musician, studio engineer etc and was never even sure that I would start a family. I still have a studio in my house although haven't really worked it in a while. I had a solo recording project that I have started with my own material that is now probably 3 or 4 years old that I just can't seem to get finished, but I have a whole life to do that stuff again, my kids will only be this age once. I even managed to accept that it is now a "hobby" opposed to my career without a 12 step program. I also have been reading lots of novels in the last year or so instead of watching TV before I go to sleep, and my Triumph Sprint ST has not gotten nearly the attention it had before I decided to get back into pedaling again this past year.

don

Been a gear head since I was old enough to pass sockets to my old man as he was under the truck making repairs. Since I was young I liked the euro makes as I noticed something special about the German craftmenship when changing wheels on an W115 Benz which had lug bolts instead of nuts. At the start it was Mercs, Saabs, Volvos, VW's - all very used and each one needing something. Then I got an Audi A4 new in '99 and bought 2 more after that. All the Audi's have various mods on them - nothing too nutty - all of them were bolt ons. They were all great cars.

Early this year, I went a different route - a Land Rover Defender 90. I wanted to bring the kids off-road and have something simple and a little easier to work on myself. I was also tired of snotting the interior of my S4 with dirt caked gear and having a soft top vehicle has been an absolute joy.

Here is a pic of my rig w/ my daugher at a LR event in NJ. Since that pic was taken I added a 2" lift, replaced the exhaust from the headers back, added sliders and 33" BFG MT's w/ steel Wolf/NATO wheels.

http://defconfour.com/other/auto/rover/riley_frosty_4.jpg

I also really enjoy snowboarding. Besides riding BMX in high school, I skated a fair bit and snowboarding was starting to be allowed at some local hills so it was a natural thing to do in the winters (besides hitting the indoor BMX races). I then went to college in VT and really got into it. I still had a mtn bike but I was a bit burnt from racing and riding and the winters are so long up there. The fact that we were 40 minutes away from Stowe and Sugarbush made it kinda nice too. My wife and kids ski, so it's a great family activity. The littlest one is only 2 but we've had him on the magic carpet a few times. This year he'll be in ski school. I agree w/ Clarkenstein and would like to get into more ski touring. Lift ticket prices, lines and resort terrain has gotten me fustrated over the years.

Another thing that makes the winters fun is playing ice hockey. Our CC has an outdoor rink and it's amazing to skate out under the stars on a crisp night with the Navesink River behind our backs. It's a great workout and also helps keep my legs in shape for snowboarding.

To top it off, I'm a dad of 3. Like many of you have said it can be an unreal amount of time and energy. You don't ever sleep in and you don't get to sit down until they are asleep. They are non-stop energy. But it's amazing when you get to experience your and their passions together.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Snowboarding since .. 20 years ago. I started at bromley and bought a Elite 140 from the Burton Factory when it was in Manchester. I am old. I have about 10 boards. Most are bigger than 165. Been everywhere and spent most of them money I have ever earned in my life on this sport. I rode with the CVA crew at Sugarloaf in the early 90's on hard boots. I love going really fast. Love the snowmobile bc stuff.

Surfing. 15+ years. I would say that I suck less every time out. NJ is actually really good. It just isn't good that often. I am hooked big time. I surf all winter and I can't get enough.

Fishing. Love the largemouth bass. Good for a striper on ridiculously light gear in the salt too.

Kayak.. Been out of a boat for a long time but while at UMO in Maine I got hooked hard. This is by far the most scary sport I have been involved in. Try getting pinned under a 38 degree river. Very very scary sport. Nearly died more than once.

Music- Love to find new sounds every day that are not on the radio.

House flipping. Not really a sport but at 33 I am on my 5th home.. wtf.

Marriage. Tried it. didn't stick.

BiknBen

It seems really odd but I am not able to answer my own question. :confused:

Cycling is such a passion for me that I have left other interests or hobbies behind. I've been doing it so long that it has become a lifestyle. Some point out reading...I read about cycling. Some mention tinkering...I wrench my own bikes. Some prefer photography...I take pictures of cyclists. Some say cooking...I've got a soft spot for sports nutrition. I experience the focus of an auto racer while riding shoulder to shoulder in a bike road race.

The only thing that surpasses cycling is my family. My wife is my best friend. She knows me better than anyone else. Of course, as a parent, my kids are something special. To look them in the eyes and see a part of myself is really moving...:eek:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Metal!!!!

When not on the bike, or with my family (which doesn't leave very much else) I SHRED!! I been playing geetar for nearly 20 years and have been in a few bands over the years. I prefer METAL but I do have a soft side, jazz:D

l_269efabe04932dc1874e70ed1649b470.jpg

-Jim.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
my other passion is my car. ive been in the import car community for quite some time now. a lot of people will call me a "ricer" becasue of my passion for imports but its more than that. im not a street racer punk or anything like that.its all about having a nice cleanly modded vehicle for me.

cleeean2.jpg

cleeeean.jpg

coverinstalledsized3.jpg

another one of my passions is playing guitar. ive played guitar and bass in various hardcore and metal bands over the years.
mehellfest1.jpg

061_61.jpg

Last edited:

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
When not on the bike, or with my family (which doesn't leave very much else) I SHRED!! I been playing geetar for nearly 20 years and have been in a few bands over the years. I prefer METAL but I do have a soft side, jazz:D

l_269efabe04932dc1874e70ed1649b470.jpg

-Jim.

mr chainsaws girlfriend took that picture. hahahah. pretty random. what bands did you play in?

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
I have alot of hobbies, but nothing has ever consumed me like bikes. Whether it is bmx, mtb, or road, nothing compares to riding for me.

However, I am pretty passionate about some other things too.

Working on cars, doing anything active,

Photography/graphic design:
1-197-78512-l-KZkYyNMSxIkYqrYdmnN86w.jpg

1-197-90074-l-0PXQkfhMT3BMNATt8Hs9pg.jpg

1-197-90075-l-Mp0E96A1ihJTxypq2k7ypg.jpg

Trackdays and motorsports:
1-197-82671-l-ccHBDqY6cwZgdPQOX7wzw.jpg

Other than hobbies, I like to just hang out with friends and my gf. I'm becoming a bit more of a cook lately too. . .

don - nice defender, here's a shot of my cousin at the camel trophy in Borneo. He works for land rover now doing off road training and support for races.

1-197-90079-l-1uXi1dufIK7alz5flFduWQ.jpg

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Other than cycling?

Oh yeah,
Playing: guitar(unplugged most of the time), woodwinds, small percussion, other assorted strings.

Writing: stories, lyrics, music, blog

Teaching music: watching the spark light up in a kid's eyes when they get it, and knowing you've given them something they can have and love for the rest of their life, regardless of where their life takes them, is humbling and simply amazing.

Controlling: Sound systems, concert series, Directing and producing a music TV series, etc.
(I can't seem to control the kids or my spiraling insane life, so controlling all kinds of other things adds a bit of balance;))

don

don - nice defender, here's a shot of my cousin at the camel trophy in Borneo. He works for land rover now doing off road training and support for races.

Whoa! Now that's the real deal. I'm sure you know, but the Rovers are very capable off road machines, even stock. Maybe at some point in my life, I'll do an expedition hopefully with a 90 or 110. Hell, I'd be happy going out to Moab and hitting spots along the way.

Your cousin doesn't happen to work in VT? I met some Rover guys that do training in a couple parts up there.

BTW, very nice pics - I love the race shot of the E30 M3. One of my favorite cars.

don

my other passion is my car. ive been in the import car community for quite some time now. a lot of people will call me a "ricer" becasue of my passion for imports but its more than that. im not a street racer punk or anything like that.its all about having a nice cleanly modded vehicle for me.

cleeean2.jpg

cleeeean.jpg

coverinstalledsized3.jpg

MIG - nice Honda. I don't know too much about them but I like the overall setup of yours - nice paint color w/ the dark wheels. Those have a nice shape to them - hot hatches are always a good choice.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Surf - Since I was 11 years old. Better feeling than biking. Waves aren’t always there, so it requires a lot more dedication. Commitment levels have varied in the last 5-6 years based completely on my mental state. Happiest times of my life have coincided with the times I surfed the most. Nothing non family related has ever consumed my life like surfing and likely never will. Only sport/hobby/whatever that I would drop all others for.

Fish - Besides pedaling a bicycle this is the thing I have done the longest. Got bored with surf fishing at age 11, see above. Never really had the commitment that true blue fisherman have, but I have caught my fair share of fish. Big makos, lots of tuna, etc. Haven’t broken 50lbs with stripers, pisses me off.

Party/Travel/Conversation - We have one life and it may end tomorrow. I absolutely love getting together with people and partying, talking about the things that mean nothing, everything and whatever in between. Seeing places that I have never seen before rules. I can read a map for hours. My job has afforded me a lot of this and I plan to do a lot more as I grow old with the crazy woman who somehow puts up with all of my shit.

Top Bottom