Strictly METAL

SS_Dave

big metal fan. 2 types I don't like. Winger/poison type garbage although I do like some bands that some might put in that category ie. early motley crue and WASP and "cookie monster" lyric stuff. I love maiden and priest, megadeth and overkill. I've been watching the evolution of metal on VH1 which is awesome. I noticed some bands that I feel are metal don't even want to be linked to metal. Led zeppelin, kiss, van halen, to me Metal.. Atomic punk by VH, parasite by kiss, communication breakdown by zeppelin to name a few soo heavy. some bands too numerous to mention change for the worse over time and very few change back. enter sandman comes to mind. anyway, what are some newer heavy bands of any genre that don't have "cookie monster" vocals. I want to update. the newest band I really liked broke up already, system of a down. I don't mind a little cookie monster if there is some more human singing mixed in, but to listen to it nonstop I can't take for whatever reason.

Human Abstract is pretty awesome

walter

Fourth Party
If the Big 4 were expanded to the Big 6, then I would have to nominate Overkill and Exodus.

Ive seen Overkill about 20 times. When I was in high school I worked at the local Shoprite, seeing Bobby Blitz was almost a weekly thing. Either shopping with his family or stopping by on a Friday or Saturday night for a box of Yodels and a gallon of milk.

I downloaded Fabulous Disaster about 6 months ago. Classic album.

HeavyMetaLance

Ive seen Overkill about 20 times. When I was in high school I worked at the local Shoprite, seeing Bobby Blitz was almost a weekly thing. Either shopping with his family or stopping by on a Friday or Saturday night for a box of Yodels and a gallon of milk.

Yeah, it's awesome that they're from NJ.
Bobby Blitz is on Sirius right now talking about metal & their new album. They're playing tracks from the new album. I really gotta go pick it up.

rayder

heard overkill's new song electric rattlesnake. awesome like classic overkill. Checked out human abstract, not too shabby

kidzach

big metal fan. 2 types I don't like. Winger/poison type garbage although I do like some bands that some might put in that category ie. early motley crue and WASP and "cookie monster" lyric stuff. I love maiden and priest, megadeth and overkill. I've been watching the evolution of metal on VH1 which is awesome. I noticed some bands that I feel are metal don't even want to be linked to metal. Led zeppelin, kiss, van halen, to me Metal.. Atomic punk by VH, parasite by kiss, communication breakdown by zeppelin to name a few soo heavy. some bands too numerous to mention change for the worse over time and very few change back. enter sandman comes to mind. anyway, what are some newer heavy bands of any genre that don't have "cookie monster" vocals. I want to update. the newest band I really liked broke up already, system of a down. I don't mind a little cookie monster if there is some more human singing mixed in, but to listen to it nonstop I can't take for whatever reason.

Seems we have similar taste/hates, so this is my 2 cents on a rainy Sat. Accept-Blood Of The Nations ; was never a fan cause I thought Balls to the Wall, while a heavy tune was a bit cheesy.But since I was always a big fan of TT Quick, (whose singer is now in Accept) had to check this out.A great/classic metal album that could have been produced in the 80's or today, you can't tell which makes this an instant classic.I have since checked out old Accept albums and I did not know I had been depriving myself of a great band, had no idea Udo could actualy sing. Texas Hippie Coalition-Pride of Texas ;Very good-heavy straight ahead-METAL. Many people compare them to Pantera which I do not know enough about to do so.(I think I may be stubbornly depriving myself again) I can teel you this is something that stayed in my cd player in my car for weeks, just good stuff! Wuthering Heights-The Shadow Cabinet, this band is somewhat in the Dream Theater vain but I would say much heavier with a Dio- esque type of singer.Another that stayed in the car for weeks- to me a barometer for a great cd.

HeavyMetaLance

I went to the Ghost, Opeth, & Mastodon show last night. Mastodon was the headliner. Apparently both bands are trading who gets to headline throughout the tour.

I am a huge Opeth fan, but honestly I gotta give the nod to Mastodon for this show. They put on an amazing show. They are fast becoming one of my favorite metal bands.

The Opeth show was... well... a bit boring. Their last tour for Heritage was all mellow stuff. That was fine, because I kind of expected to see a mellow show following that album. But they were still playing a lot of mellow stuff from Heritage and Damnation. I love those two albums, but I wanna hear some death metal growling! They only played 2 'metal' songs at the end of the set.

I was really bummed about one thing, which was that we only caught the last song from Ghost. They must have gone on at 7:00 sharp because we arrived there at 7:25 they were just about wrapping up their set. I really wanted to check them out because their album is friggin' awesome.

I got a few pics & video. You can see them here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/118329529887090141967/GhostOpethMastodonConcertRoselandNYCApr112012#

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Hoping Mastodon comes through this area again, I wasn't able to attend this show, and I make a point of seeing them at least once whenever they put out something new.

I've heard lots of chatter about Ghost, but so far nothing strong enough to get me to one of their shows.

Opeth has been on my radar forever, funnily enough I have a feeling Heritage might be the record that finally gets me to really listen to them. And then I'll work my way back.

And lastly: If you haven't checked out the new High On Fire yet, De Vermis Mysteriis, waste no further time- get it now. They just go from strength to strength.

http://highonfire.net/

HeavyMetaLance

Hoping Mastodon comes through this area again, I wasn't able to attend this show, and I make a point of seeing them at least once whenever they put out something new.

I've heard lots of chatter about Ghost, but so far nothing strong enough to get me to one of their shows.

Opeth has been on my radar forever, funnily enough I have a feeling Heritage might be the record that finally gets me to really listen to them. And then I'll work my way back.

And lastly: If you haven't checked out the new High On Fire yet, De Vermis Mysteriis, waste no further time- get it now. They just go from strength to strength.

http://highonfire.net/

Mastodon is one of my favorite bands to see live. They have such an awesome sound and put on a great show.

I keep hearing about High On Fire in various places.
Based on your recommendation, I decided to get it.
Listening to it now.
So far, so good.

SS_Dave

Converge

They've been on my radar for a long time, at least since Jane Doe came out. This summer it finally clicked. I'm really amazed by how effective they are in such diverse styles, while still keeping the tension and intensity intact.

They're doing a split with Napalm Death.

But yeah Converge is sick, J Bannon has a solo project out thats pretty cool too. I think its out on Deathwish Records. BTW Deathwish has some really great releases. Check it out

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
ive been out of this thread for a loooong time. Ive been listening to an oldie ut a goodie a lot lately

Merauder: Master Killer

This record still kills it and always gets me pumped up. I listen to it evertime im at the gym.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I'm lazy.
What's Sleep?
Doom? Like Candlemass?
Super-heavy Sabbath-worship with lyrics about holy mountains, journeys beyond the sun, and stoner caravans. Vocals are more like Ozzy then Dio.

The guitar player is Matt Pike, who has fronted the peerless High On Fire for six records since Sleep called it quits for a while back in the 90's.

The bass player/vocalist is Al Cisneros, who started Om with the drummer, Chris Hakius. Om has four albums, though Hakius left after the third.

And Al plays bass/sings in Shrinebuilder, along with Scott Kelly from Neurosis, Dale Crover of Melvins fame, and Wino, whose resume doesn't fit here.

A ridiculous amount of great music from these guys.

Top Bottom