National Bike to Work Day and Week

MST.ESQ

I want to commute to work by bike on Friday. Any suggestions on how to get from Livingston to the Harrison/Newark Path station in one piece:mad:!!!

de00304

Solution needed...

I'm calling everyone out. Tell me why you can't ride to work. I'll come up with a solution.

BTW: I rode to work this morning. It was wet.

I could use a solution, as I cant find a route from home to work due to the need to cross over water (Newark Bay) on the way from Madison to Jersey City Pavionia area. The only options are the NJ Turnpike, Pulaski Skyway, or truck 1&9, none of which are really viable (or legal for that matter..). Google directions from zips 07940 to 07310 to see what's involved....

To avoid these roads over Newark Bay, I could ride up towards Montclair, then over towards the GWB and then down River Rd, but that adds about 15-20 miles on to the 25 mile route I would have if I could find a way across the bay.

In the past I have driven my car up north to Ridgewood, where I met up with a co-worker and rode 25 miles into work from there. That was a great ride, 50 miles round trip, with the significant climbs of E Clinton Ave (inbound) and River Road (return). However, driving 30 miles to ride in 25 defeats the purpose of biking to work I think...

So to all of you that can ride in, enjoy it!

BiknBen

I could use a solution...

You sir, are shafted. :D

I agree that none of your river crossing options look good. The NJT is the only one that restricts bike access though.

I'll propose this option. Bike-n-Ride. :hmmm: That area is well served by NJTransit. Bike to a bus route on the west side of Newark Bay. Find whatever route will get you across the river. I believe all NJTransit buses are equiped with bike racks.

I would look for the bus route that goes closest to work. Basically, you would bike as far as you can then take the bus the rest of the way.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I cheated today, had an appointment to go to at 9:30, so drove into work and then left for my appointment. I did stop home after that and rode in for the afternoon.....

BiknBen

I rode on Tuesday and today. A few rain drops as I was arriving this morning. I'll be riding in tomorrow too.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My commute this week except for today was 68 miles each way. That's using highways that can't be driven on. Tell me how that could have worked. :)

-Steve

BiknBen

My commute this week except for today was 68 miles each way. That's using highways that can't be driven on. Tell me how that could have worked. :)

-Steve

You drive half-way and then bike the rest. C'Mon! that's an easy one.

You do realize that your bike commute does not have to follow the same path as your drive commute, right?

I drive in on highways and bike in on residential roads.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
If I worked 68 miles from where I lived, I'd move or find a new job.

I've ridden in every day this week, as I usually do as long as it's not raining or slushy. 4 miles, 20 minutes, as fast as the subway (and sometimes faster).

Last night I added a bit by riding down to the EMS Soho store grand opening after work to represent NYCMTB, then riding home afterwards. Tearing up 3rd Ave dodging cars in the dark was F-U-N!!! ;)

It's surprising how many people you run into in NYC when you bike commute. I ran into someone last week who I used to race the H2H races with. He just happened to be walking up 5th Ave as I was riding down...

Last edited:

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was planning to this week, but I have not had a meeting free day yet. I have managed to ride everyday this week after work, so I still got my time in.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Uh...It's not ride your bike week. It's ride your bike to work week. ;)

yes I know, I would love to. I just have to be able to leave my office during the day and travel to jobsites when im needed. I normally get no warning as to when these calls happen. The excuse of "I rode my bike today, so I can't make it" will not cut it. Sucks because my ride back and forth is about 18miles each way with tons of elevation change. Would be a great ride for training. But I also have to say that if this bike to work is about saving gas and not driving, I should really avoid doing any h2h racing. I will use more gas going back and forth to tymor than I did for most of the week driving back and forth to work.

BiknBen

The excuse of "I rode my bike today, so I can't make it" will not cut it.

I have been known to drive in on Monday and then ride back and forth all week. Then I drive home after work on Friday. The car stays at the office all week.

Bonus: I bring food and clothes for the week on Monday. Bring all the dirties home on Friday.

What else do you guys got? de00304 had the best challenge for me so far. :getsome:

gtluke

The Moped
I had to drive today, and will again tomorow unless ben has a solution.
Today I had to move 2 38lb electric motors from fairfield to randalls island in NYC, and 2 crates full of full binders.
tomorrow I have 3 chart recorders (20lbs each, 20x20x26 boxes), 3 pressure transmitters at 15lbs and 3 3-valve manifolds at 15lbs
I can't figure out how to get those to the jobsite by bike.

BiknBen

I had to drive today, and will again tomorow unless ben has a solution.
Today I had to move 2 38lb electric motors from fairfield to randalls island in NYC, and 2 crates full of full binders.
tomorrow I have 3 chart recorders (20lbs each, 20x20x26 boxes), 3 pressure transmitters at 15lbs and 3 3-valve manifolds at 15lbs
I can't figure out how to get those to the jobsite by bike.

Tell your company to get a delivery truck for you. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have been known to drive in on Monday and then ride back and forth all week. Then I drive home after work on Friday. The car stays at the office all week.

Bonus: I bring food and clothes for the week on Monday. Bring all the dirties home on Friday.

What else do you guys got? de00304 had the best challenge for me so far. :getsome:

I understand your point Ben, I could do it at great inconvenience to myself. I mean my laptop comes home with me everynight, dragging that by bike is not something im intrested in either. I also would like having my car at my house at night. Its totally possible, but like I said, if I want to save gas...I should stop mountain biking. I use more gas driving to riding spots than I do driving to work.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
the laptop thing is scary; i only got 3.5 miles with mine on my back, but im always double checking the zippers on my pack before i leave :)

f2f4

Jeebuss, you could walk that commute. :rolleyes:
A lot of guys in my dorms do. Only takes them 15 minutes.

You know what, tomorrow I'm riding in. I will look RIDICULOUS in uniform with a helmet on but fsck it.

I'll post a pic in here so you all can LAWL.

Last edited:

kush

It didn't happen and it ain't happening tomorrow. I have many excuses, the main one of which is that I suck.

Top Bottom