National Bike to Work Day and Week

lmckee

I'm calling everyone out. Tell me why you can't ride to work. I'll come up with a solution.

55 miles each way, and I'd imagine it would be significantly more off the highway. And I work 3rd shift so I would be riding from delaware to baltimore late in the evening and back in the wee hours of the morning. I need a solution.

and urban areas are the easiest place to loose the cops....;)

hahaha, its so easy to pick out the guys that ride, or used to ride bmx.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
ride to work monday and thursday. put air in the tires and ride the SS the .5 mile climb up over the rt35 bridge should count for something. I've done it on my road bike a bunch but need to get stronger so no gears will help that out.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
the SS is back!!!
I think I will commute on it rather than the roadie which I took off the trainer and stuck in the shed so I forced my self to ride outside rather than the trainer, but that didn't go well, but where was i going...

oh yes, I will start commuting to work on my bike next week, so then I can :popcorn::popcorn:

maybe I can use my NEW spanking helmet that I WON on a RAFFLE.....YES!!! I'M BACK!! watch out MTBNJ raffles!!! :getsome::getsome::D:D

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I usually commute anyways...

I ride to work almost everyday already so next week isn't special for me:popcorn:

My route to work is pretty good after I get across Rt.22. It's only a scant 20ish miles round trip so I usually go out for my ride and just end up at work.:popcorn:

I have to take the long way around on light days so I don't go over Washington Rock:popcorn:

This is the shortest way to the shop.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/nj/piscataway/990124178876511692

-Jim.

kush

Is this doable? I did cheat and just hit walking directions on google, but it seems like an OK route to me

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Southfield+Rd&daddr=41+University+Dr,+Newtown,+PA+18940&geocode=FeL1ZgIdpgyO-w;&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=40.299658,-74.576333&sspn=0.010408,0.024741&ie=UTF8&z=12

Link didn't work right you have to switch it from Car to Walking. BTW Kush you live far too close to me lol

I've done walking thing on Google before, it takes you through Trenton, probably not the most ideal thing first thing in the morning. I'd probably prefer something on the other side of rt 1 like this, but not sure if there's a better route.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....287907,-74.739647&spn=0.166561,0.395851&z=12

southernerinnj

That route looks good my only concern might be riding down 206 I might try a Princeton Pike route that is a little different. Not sure though. stb222 seems to ride Princeton alot hopefully he could weigh in on that.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can ride to my office, and have. But I can't ride to the jobsite, too far and I have to carry too much equipment. Hopefully I have enough office work to do that I can ride in a few days. I just hope I don't get field calls during the day, otherwised I'm screwed.

I have the same problem. And normally problems come up in which I have to leave and run to a jobsite 30 miles away. Plus there is the matter of being sweaty and gross in my office after my 20mile commute.

gtluke

The Moped
I rode in today, it was fun. It's really nice out so I didn't even get sweaty. But we have a shower here for the summer when I smell :)

rlb

I've done walking thing on Google before, it takes you through Trenton, probably not the most ideal thing first thing in the morning.

I did survey work in Trenton in the fall 2007. I walked the streets solo w/ a $25k GPS unit strapped to my back for 3 weeks. (There was another co-worker doing the same, we were split up though) It really isnt that bad...I had 1 incidentsI didn't like, which was deep into the residential streets, and not so bad. I was also asked for a dollar once, thought it would be more....If you stick to the main thoroughfares, act like you belong there (keep your head down but stay alert), and keep moving I think you'd be better off than you think.

On the other hand, people in Trenton drive like absolute LUNATICS. I was surveying water valves, which are typically in the middle of the road. I don't know how I didn't get nailed.....

Last edited:

John Baumann

I sure hope it's not raining when I ride in...

Attachments

• twip_090507_02.ss_full.jpg
    twip_090507_02.ss_full.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 97

f2f4

I'm calling everyone out. Tell me why you can't ride to work. I'll come up with a solution.

BTW: I rode to work this morning. It was wet.
I have to carry a heavy pack filled with rain gear / first aid / tools / books for my job.

Bah, fine, I'll try it. Only 2 miles anyway.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
so who is doing it?looks like almost a perfect week for riding in, cool in the mornings and nice on the way home.

gtluke

The Moped
I got here today on my bike. I know I have to get to the city with some 2.5 HP motors some time this week so I can't do it all week. I also need to get Jersey City's water supply online also, I'm not riding to Jersey City :)

John Baumann

I did it...

...and it went smoothly.
19 miles in just over 1 hour from North Arlington to Parsippany with a backpack full of workboots, clothes, toilet trees, and lots of food.
I enjoyed the ride and got a kick out of assessing peoples' driving habits. I could write a whole blog on my findings.
The only problem I encountered is that my impacted wisdom tooth was trobbing mercilessly and I just got a call back that the dentist can see me right away... I was embarassed to ask them for a later appointment because of my "transportation".
I would ride to and fro all week but I have a schedule conflict on Wed, plus I want to be sharp for my MTB trail rides on Tues and Thurs so it looks like today and Friday are 'Ride My Bike To Work' days.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

BTW: I rode to work this morning. It was wet.

I work from home, I guess I could ride from my bedroom to my office :hmmm:

Top Bottom