National Bike to Work Day and Week

BiknBen

Well I'll say this where I would have to ride through I've seen drug busts go down while driving through at this time of the morning no to mention people "hanging" out outside that don't look savory.

OK, I'll concede that we all have our own levels of tolerance. In my mind, I don't think a drug dealer, buyer, prostitute, burglar, etc. gives a sh!t about a guy riding by on his bike. By the time they think of something to do to me, I'm gone.

I will admit that if I were to have a mechanical issue in one of these areas that I might change my tune. Standing around looking helpless is definitely going to attract some bad attention.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
OK, I'll concede that we all have our own levels of tolerance. In my mind, I don't think a drug dealer, buyer, prostitute, burglar, etc. gives a sh!t about a guy riding by on his bike. By the time they think of something to do to me, I'm gone.

I will admit that if I were to have a mechanical issue in one of these areas that I might change my tune. Standing around looking helpless is definitely going to attract some bad attention.

all it takes is a flat... then you're not going anywhere.

John Baumann

...I don't think a drug dealer, buyer, prostitute, burglar, etc. gives a sh!t about a guy riding by on his bike. By the time they think of something to do to me, I'm gone.

...Standing around looking helpless is definitely going to attract some bad attention.

Everybody knows that for every thousand dollars a bike is worth some junky can get at least two bags and a vial for it...

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
You know, I've dealt with my fair share of dealers and junkies over the past 4 years at Highbridge. The dealers are pretty good at keeping the streets under control. They don't like petty crime that might bring cops into the 'hood and screw up their business.

And the junkies are some of the weakest, most broken people I've seen. They prefer non-confrontational crimes like burglary.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The dealers are pretty good at keeping the streets under control. They don't like petty crime that might bring cops into the 'hood and screw up their business.

See drug dealers are our friends! I heard they even have a dealer fixie club too.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Well I already rode to and from work today. Fridays are my short day. Ben if it makes you feel better, I hope mr pixy gets home by 5:30 too. It's nice to love and be loved. :rolleyes:

I really enjoyed my commutes this week. I'm very lucky to have a short commute and mostly safe neighborhoods. Some of you guys are hard core, and it's great to see so many of you commuting. Like some of you said, I too extended my route to find quiet roads, and it was a nice way to start the day. I got more done at work, I've been in a better mood and didn't get so cold. I'm one of those sweater girls, whose idea of air conditioning is a road ride. Not going to the grocery store everyday has made me less wasteful, as when you run out, you eat the frig clean.

I don't know if I will stick with it, but I'm going to try to commute 1-2 days a week. I'm even thinking about riding to the trails from my house now and then. I'm about 8 miles from Bear Swamp.

Odd observation of the week:
On the way to work, I passed a lady on a cell phone standing in a driveway holding a broom. On the way home she was still in the driveway on the cell phone with a broom in her hand.

BiknBen

Odd observation of the week:
On the way to work, I passed a lady on a cell phone standing in a driveway holding a broom. On the way home she was still in the driveway on the cell phone with a broom in her hand.

My odd observation:
I spooked a motorist when approaching an intersection with poor sight lines. I had a yield and slammed on my brakes when he came into view. Two days later, the exact same thing happened...Involving the same car and driver. Wierd! :hmmm:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Also petitioning for a shower in-house, making some in-roads. I may have to tap our offshore accounts for this.

High Gear is a cool place to work as far as commuting is concerned. It's the first shop I've worked at with a shower, bins for your week's supplies, and a monetary incentive for leaving the car at home. As a bike shop employee I think it's very important to show how easy it is make commuting a lifestyle that works:popcorn:

-Jim.

Top Bottom