Mercer County Park Conditions

Mark S

Never busy. I ride there several times a week. Usually I cross paths with 1 or 2 riders but I’m there midday since I’m an retired antique.

TAS

Mick & I ran the brush hog on Thursday morning. We cleared the section of Van Nest off Hughes drive as it was getting pretty tight. We also cleared a downed tree on a side trail. No chain saws. Damm it was HOT! Took about 40 minutes to get it trimmed out so we could cut.

IMG_0589.jpg

Did I mention that it was HOT????? I was hot and out of water.... Arrrrggghhhh. But done.
IMG_0595.jpg

TAS

TAS

Rode this morning before 9 and it was BEAUTIFUL!!! Was getting warm on the way out about 12. I cleaned up the downed tree on Orange (Van Nest) along the creek and made it a log over until we can remove it .. or maybe not? The creek has overflowed in the usual spots so wet feet are a possibility!
FYI The red trail East of East Picnic area is under water.. Don't even bother to look.
Tom

Before
fullsizeoutput_d03.jpeg

Aft'a and yes there is a log on the other side
fullsizeoutput_d01.jpeg

BONUS Pic! I was able to get a picture of the Neowise F3 comet this morning @ 4:46AM. So I thought I would share it here. Get out there and look for this beautiful icy visitor!
Light_Preview_Neowise F3Ne_1sec_Bin1_29.7C_gain131_2020-07-12_043719.jpg
!

Rode Mercer County Park today. Trails seem to be in great shape!
There was a tree down on the Orange Trail out near Quakerbridge Road. Wish I could give you a better location....
Mercer County Park.jpeg

I'm going back out there tomorrow so I will get a better location....

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
For the regulars, is there anything in van nest and over by the tennis center to avoid? Taking the NICA kids there Saturday.

carvegybe

There is a windy section of the path along the river towards van nest that has eroded edges, which are also a bit overgrown and the kids might not see the edge - can potentially end up in the water if not careful. Regarding the tree down, it's a bit further east from what's shown above, but can easily walk bike over or less easily ride over so not a problem. Now that I think about it I seem to recall the eroded edge is just west of the fallen tree.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
There is a windy section of the path along the river towards van nest that has eroded edges, which are also a bit overgrown and the kids might not see the edge - can potentially end up in the water if not careful. Regarding the tree down, it's a bit further east from what's shown above, but can easily walk bike over or less easily ride over so not a problem. Now that I think about it I seem to recall the eroded edge is just west of the fallen tree.
Ok, thanks

Big Al

Question: What's brown and sticky?
Answer: All the trails at MCP.

Did some work on the west side of the park today, including van nest. Lots of sticks and some trees. Ran into @TAS . Lots more work to do.
Screenshot_20200805-221829.png
IMG_20200805_144711.jpg
IMG_20200805_150010.jpg
IMG_20200805_151426.jpg
IMG_20200805_153413.jpg
IMG_20200805_153915.jpg
IMG_20200805_163522.jpg
IMG_20200804_200341.jpg
IMG_20200804_200351.jpg
IMG_20200805_170007.jpg

TAS

Yikes! Yesterday I went for a ride to see what had come down. My plan was to ride the entire park. That didn’t happen.
The park in places looks like Beirut!! Ha Ha…. I hit the park at 11 and didn’t get out until 4PM.

Never made it to blue North. But blue by the lake, SOB and the main blue to the rowing center are all clear.
Red loop at East picnic is clear. Red along the lake is clear. Yellow & Orange to Van Nest are now clear.

It took 1.5 hours to go from Van Nest to the West Picnic area. I had to cut my way thru just to ride anywhere.

I met Al one my way back out. He was walking and cutting stuff as he went.

There are 5 large ones on the main Red Trail between the timing stand and the Tennis center.
If we can get those cleared soon that will remove the biggest mess. The rest is pretty much done.

There is a large tree down on Red near west picnic and on red going towards the lake

Thanks to Steve who stopped to assist me and rode along to help remove downed tree /debris.

Hope to get out there with Mick in the next day or so.

TAS

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_d1a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d1a.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 99
  • fullsizeoutput_d1b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d1b.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 101
  • fullsizeoutput_d1f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d1f.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 98
  • fullsizeoutput_d19.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d19.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 105
  • fullsizeoutput_d14.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d14.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 105

TAS

Took a walk with the Silky saw this afternoon and cleared the remaining trees that were down on Red between the west picnic area and the volleyball courts. I have to notify the park before I use a gas chainsaw for the big trees on Red near the tennis center. That will have to wait until after the weekend.

TAS

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions