Mercer County Park Conditions

This morning Mick, Mike & I went after the downed trees remaining on Red trail between the tennis center and the timing stand. All have been cleared. We also removed the low hanging tree on Red between East Picnic Area and the tennis center. My camera battery died so I don't have pictures of everything... And along the way today we met this woodsy guy! (Last Pic)

TAS

Attachments

• DSCN2474.JPG
    DSCN2474.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCN2473.JPG
    DSCN2473.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCN2479.JPG
    DSCN2479.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN2483.JPG
    DSCN2483.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN2476.JPG
    DSCN2476.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 173
This morning Mick, Mike & I went after the downed trees remaining on Red trail between the tennis center and the timing stand. All have been cleared. We also removed the low hanging tree on Red between East Picnic Area and the tennis center. My camera battery died so I don't have pictures of everything... And along the way today we met this woodsy guy! (Last Pic)

TAS
Great job, guys. Thanks!

Rode today specifically to get over to Blue North! Someone has cleared a bunch of smalls. Big Thanks to you....However there are several nuisance log overs that I will get back to and clear later this week. My Silky Big Boy is out of service. The big tree near the gas line right of way will require chain sawing so that will have to wait a bit. I cleared most of 2 trees that were across the power line section that leads to Brunts Field Drive and then Darvel Drive.
On my way back to Van Nest I cleared a small on yellow trail.

There is a HUGE oak tree over the trail near the 2nd bridge near the Conover road culvert- gas line. It's stable for the moment but creepy to ride under. That's a future project.

TAS

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_d2a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d2a.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 155
  • fullsizeoutput_d2b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d2b.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 155
  • fullsizeoutput_d30.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d30.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 159
  • fullsizeoutput_d2c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d2c.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Went out this morning around 6:45. Parked in east lot. I did red to blue all the way around to the power lines making all lefts until I got to the row house (holy cow those rowers have bigger shoulders than line backers wearing their pads). Anyway, once I got to the neighborhood I decided to go back the way I came since I've never ridden it in that direction. Got back to the row house and picked up the trail again. There is now a huge tree down on that trail. Didn't take pics because I needed to quickly find another route out before the storm but I will post up my Strava in about 30 minutes when I get to a computer. Damn am I lucky I wasn't passing through when it went down.

Thanks for the report.... Shame on me that I didn't see it earlier! I was over that way yesterday afternoon to clear a low tree on Son of Blue. All Done.

I am going for a ride today, will check it out and post a picture. Don't know when we can get to that one any time soon. The primary chain saw crew are on vacation.
TAS

Attachments

• DSCN2488.JPG
    DSCN2488.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN2489.JPG
    DSCN2489.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 117
I located the downed tree on blue trail that gpTron posted above. It's actually two trees and quite a mess. I cleared one tree and the mess of branches. Thanks to the guys that stopped and helped me move the tree to the side after I cut it!

The bigger tree in the first pic is still there. It will need a chain saw. I'll try to get it this week.

TAS

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_d54.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d54.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 114
  • fullsizeoutput_d53.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d53.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 120
  • fullsizeoutput_d52.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d52.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 119
The large tree on Blue trail near the rowing center has been remediated. While I had the opportunity I went over to Van Nest and removed the ugly log over by the creek and a few other annoying odds & ends.
TAS

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_d59.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d59.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 120
  • fullsizeoutput_d56.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d56.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 119
  • fullsizeoutput_d58.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d58.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 116
  • fullsizeoutput_d57.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d57.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 118
Went for a walk with a saw in Van Nest yesterday... Removed the downed trees that were blocking the connector trail that branches off of yellow that then crosses the small drainage creek and goes back to yellow. No pics...If you ride there you know the trail. This has been a mess for some time and I felt compelled to clear it properly. Thanks to whomever started working there to open it up.

TAS

Went for a walk with a saw in Van Nest yesterday... Removed the downed trees that were blocking the connector trail that branches off of yellow that then crosses the small drainage creek and goes back to yellow. No pics...If you ride there you know the trail. This has been a mess for some time and I felt compelled to clear it properly. Thanks to whomever started working there to open it up.

TAS
I assume that trail is still very wet?

I didn't have the time or energy left in me to walk down and check. I'd assume that is is still kinda soggy. Not deep but muddy. I really like that interconnector trail and have wanted to come up with a sustainable solution for that crossing. Perhaps in the near future...

TAS
Thanks, Tom. I know that trail was a real mess.

Beautiful morning for a ride so I did! Rode the entire park. Fast & dry! The drainage crossing on the connector trail between yellow was bone dry... although after todays afternoon storms it may be a bit wet. Did some strategic clipping of face slappers where needed. Still had some gas in the tank when I was done so I removed the tree that was across Red leading to the lake. Actually not on Red but close enough.
I had just sharpened the teeth on the Silky Katana and wow it went thru that oak log like butter!
Last pic is the big tree down on Blue North. We will get to it eventually.

TAS

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_d5c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d5c.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 126
  • fullsizeoutput_d5a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d5a.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 122
  • fullsizeoutput_d5f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d5f.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
The trails need a haircut, not too bad but overgrown as Al said above.
We should be able to resume running the Brush Hog soon. (long story)
We try to do it on weekdays so as to avoid weekend trail traffic.

AND Breaking News! We have official signage to be installed on the blue trail where it exits onto the power line.
We have been working with the assistant trail steward for Mercer and he has obtained the permissions and signage.
We hope to have it in place on Thursday.

TAS

FYI... A large tree is down on Orange Trail in Van Nest along the creek. Some folks made a go around so it is not totally blocked. I'll try to get out there on Friday depending on the weather.

TAS

Got out today and removed the tree on Orange trail. It was cool & cloudy so perfect conditions to get the deed done!
Pics say the rest.

1st I had previously done some trimming on my last ride.
2nd Half done
3rd Almost cleaned up. Damm those log sections were heavy!
4th DONE! I did roll that last log off the trail. and clear up the debris.

TAS

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_d67.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d67.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 115
  • fullsizeoutput_d66.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d66.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 111
  • fullsizeoutput_d63.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d63.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0134.jpg