HELMET!

iman29

very sorry to hear about the person that got hurt thats too bad. we have all been witness to someone you know being saved by a helmet, I know i have several times.

I cannot like this thread enough times. My kids were taught the simple rule that BEFORE you even touch your bike you put on your helmet. when they were younger I would get the bike ready for them and they would put on the helmet. Now they are ages 20, 17 and 13 and they know if i see them doing anything without a helmet they are done for. I told them ones that drive cars its the same as your seatbelt so they know it.

I will always remember the first season of coaching NICA and the rule that states that any time you have the bike under you you MUST be wearing a helmet properly.

I think I posted elsewhere on this thread all the Covidiots I have seen riding around on bikes with no helmets (i.e lady with a kid in bike seat with a helmet but she wasnt wearing one. My kids also say the same thing and most of their friends dont wear helmets. I had a bunch of them here back the fall playing basketball out front and they showed up on bikes but no helmets.

It makes me mad and i try not to be a d*ck about it in the general public because ignorance is bliss but I can only control what I can control.

p.s. now I have to probably go buy a new road helmet too which is fine cause I want one that's matchy matchy anyway. Oh yea and my bday is Monday so bappy bday to me. LOL.

stay safe all!

jimmy g

If I hadn’t bought the best helmet money can buy a year ago I wouldn’t be alive right now. The helmet I had before I probably rode for 15 years. It had dents and cracks and I basically bought it because I liked the color It was a familiar trail . I have ridden that trail hundreds of times before at faster speeds ,in the snow etc etc. you just never know what’s going to happen Be as safe as you can buy the best helmet you can

w_b

Lol I passed a girl ridin the other day she was pedaling with the helmet hanging on the bars. At least the bars were safe.

moose35

Lol I passed a girl ridin the other day she was pedaling with the helmet hanging on the bars. At least the bars were safe.
I always tell those kids I know their father and I'm telling him that you're not wearing your helmet. They usually put it on quickly.

w_b

She was of the age she prolly cared more wut the gram thought than her daddy. I mentioned as I passed that it would work much better attached to her skull. My boys got a kick outta that.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I stopped busting strangers balls about helmets a long time ago. Helmets are like smoking, at this point everyone knows exactly what the risks are and what can happen when that risk comes true.
Awareness comes about when people speak up. Currently I don't see any type of push for people to wear helmets on trails. It's not against the law to not wear a helmet and some folks simply don't know you should wear a helmet.

Lately there are a lot more first timers on bikes in the woods not wearing a helmet. I'm not going to preach to them on a trail, I just say the word Helmet when I pass them. Maybe they think I'm an asshole 9/10 times, whatever...I feel compelled to say something. I don't want to see people get hurt.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I stopped busting strangers balls about helmets a long time ago. Helmets are like smoking, at this point everyone knows exactly what the risks are and what can happen when that risk comes true.
My view is a little different. I’m actually not that concerned for the personal health of people with no helmets. My view is that in order to protect our trails for future use we need to minimize death or injury on them. Like it or not there are people who would ban mountain bikes from every trail in the state and country. We don’t need to give these people any ammunition to show that Mt biking Is not a safe activity.

We live in the land of lawyers.

I also do not for a second believe that people understand the risks presented when riding even the tamest trails like the ones I've built

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
My view is a little different. I’m actually not that concerned for the personal health of people with no helmets. My view is that in order to protect our trails for future use we need to minimize death or injury on them. Like it or not there are people who would ban mountain bikes from every trail in the state and country. We don’t need to give these people any ammunition to show that Mt biking Is not a safe activity.

We live in the land of lawyers.

I also do not for a second believe that people understand the risks presented when riding even the tamest trails like the ones I've built

And how many mountain bike related deaths have occurred on our trails? MTB'ers for the most part wear their lids. There are people that would like to ban some aspect of everything we do in society. The price of freedom.

Reactions: don

goldsbar

Many of my numerous crashes have come on "easy" trails from either pushing to hard or a little too much mental relaxation.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If I hadn’t bought the best helmet money can buy a year ago I wouldn’t be alive right now. The helmet I had before I probably rode for 15 years. It had dents and cracks and I basically bought it because I liked the color It was a familiar trail . I have ridden that trail hundreds of times before at faster speeds ,in the snow etc etc. you just never know what’s going to happen Be as safe as you can buy the best helmet you can
Amen. And heal up.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The only way I care is if it potentially affects access, but seeing the wheelie kids and pretty much 80% of other kids around town with no helmets, whatever.

Reactions: don
Top Bottom