HELMET!

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
People usually don't think about safety until they get hurt or they know someone that got hurt. Recently I was on a ride where someone got hurt, so here is my PSA.

I'll start off by saying the most important piece of equipment to have is a helmet. Wear a helmet.

It's not enough to just own a helmet, you must inspect your helmet and replace it if damaged. Even if it's not damaged, helmets must be replaced every 3-5 yrs, depending upon how well you care for it. Sweat and leaving your helmet in the car(extreme changes in temperature) after rides compromise the materials of a helmet. Also helmet technology improves over time, with manufacturers coming out with safer, more comfortable lids every year.

People who know me know that I am cheap when it comes to gear and use stuff until I break it and then throw duct tape on it and keep using it. Currently I am in the process of replacing my mountain bike helmet, road helmet and I just purchased a full face helmet for Enduro runs. Don't be cheap when it comes to helmets, bones can heal, your brain can't.

roc

Also make sure your kids wear helmets. Each and every time they ride. Even if its to a friends house or around town.. Make it a habit for them. Make sure they buckle them also.
You would think this would be a no brainer, but most of my kid’s friends (13,15) do not wear them. i live in Motown, as a casual observer, I would say less than 1/2 of the kids in town, have a helmet on..
‘All that being said, it’s time for a new one for me! I don’t even know how old mine is.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
As I sell helmets I am super aware when someone comes in to buy another one after a crash. It happens at more often than you might expect. Usually they thank me for encouraging them to buy the prior one and then they ask which new model is now the safest.

helmets have improved over the last few years for sure. I would encourage riders to get the smallest size that comfortably fits, look for MIPS if possible and replace once you see any dents or cracks. Avoid the one size fits all if possible.

for fit, try to find one that sits level on your head and covers most of your forehead. It the straps feel a little tight, they are probably fitting correctly. Any more than 2 fingers under the strap and you should tighter the steps a little

for mtbing, I would use a mtb specific helmet that has more coverage than prior versions

lastly.. give your helmet a little pull in opposing directions. You often may see hairline cracks open

Helmets are basically the only protective gear that we use. It’s silly to go without as they actually are proven to make your body run cooler.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I've witnessed on multiple occasions that wearing a helmet while mountain biking prevented head/brain injuries and possibly even death. I've conditioned my son to wear a helmet even before he throws his leg over the bike that he would even remind me of it. But it bothers me to no end when I see kids and adults ride around in my neighborhood without helmets. When my son asks why that kid isn't rearing a helmet I just say because their parents don't love them.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Top Bottom