Getting Started with Cool/Cold Weather Riding - Socks & Gloves?

Found Gold.

Although I honestly don't remember the last time I used these.

20201207_194904.jpg

Im also pretty cold tolerant, and swear by the Lake MXZ303. I dont love their buckles, the fit is a bit loose, but Ive never had cold feet with them. To the point I also wear them gravel riding with all the accompanying weird looks. I usually go for Darn Tough wool socks, meduim weight. I find that socks too thick actually make my feet colder.

View attachment 144859
For gloves I usually just wear full finger Pearl Izumi Cyclone gel. Occ my fingers will be cold, but not usually. I have a pear of sleestak gloves too, I never keep them on. View attachment 144860
Those Lake shoes are the shit. Love mine.

To the point I also wear them gravel riding with all the accompanying weird looks.
I’m over caring about weird looks or “rules.” I wear MTB kit on my road bike. DGAF. Egg beaters and Ragnaroks on the road bike...zero fucks given. LOL. That said I’m a weirdo that leaves the road bike untouched for 6 months all summer long but then breaks it out in the winter when everyone else is spinning away in their basements...

not sure if someone mentioned it here already but for any cold ride, dont start with cold shoes/gloves.

For today's cold road ride during lunch, I moved my shoes and gloves out of the garage and into the foyer about an hour beforehand, and put them near the heat vent to warm up. Pre-covid if I was heading to a ride event of any kind, I always leave the shoes and gloves on the front seat on the floor and blast the heat for a few minutes to get them warm, tho its less of an issue because on a longer ride i use the chemical warmers.

I also dont bother with the chemical toe or hand warmers for a short ride like today (just over an hour) cause its a waste.

2A9640A2-FC36-476F-A17D-6EE0384D4EF8.JPG

Wanted to give stb222 & Patrick a shout-out for turning me on to these RedHot insoles and Rockbros shoe covers. Tried them today, and though it was not cold (mid 40s) I am pleased with the purchases so far and expect they'll be perfect for my needs.

I picked up a pair of SPD shoes ($48, eBay) identical to my main pair, just one size larger to accommodate a heavier sock (which I haven't tried yet). I got the RedHot insoles for $41 and the shoe covers for $22. So all-in I'm at $111 and effectively have both an effective winter solution (again, so far) and a second pair of shoes I can use in the summer if needed.

The RedHots worked well, keeping drafts from coming in through the bottom of the shoes. I did my first half hour without the covers and could tell my feet were getting cold through the mesh uppers on the shoes. Put the covers on and that was the end of that. They went on easy, fit snugly and look pretty durable. I'm sold.

Next up is gloves. I rode today with a pair of cheap Nashbar full-finger gloves (literally from the 90s) and was okay. I've got another similar vintage but much heavier Nashbar Sleestak-style gloves I will also be trying. For kicks I also ordered got a cheap pair of highly-rated gloves on Amazon ($17) because why not, we'll see how they work, they might be my main pair unless it gets really cold.

I also rode today with a neck gaiter worn as a beanie, which worked REALLY well. I'm experimenting with upper body layers. I have a bunch of different things to try and today rode with an old long sleeve Cannondale jersey, a long sleeve cotton t-shirt, and a GMBN jersey on top of those two, and was fine, but clearly wouldn't have been in colder or more windy conditions. I think I need a good windproof layer, looking into those options now.

I don't expect to ride in anything much below 30 degrees so I'm trying to keep the purchases to a minimum and make the best use of what I already have. Hell, pretty soon, it'll be Spring!

Just sharing in case any of what I've got here is of interest or helps someone.

Really appreciate this forum, you've been super helpful.

-kj-

glad to here it is working!

be careful with the cotton layer. consider going tech instead.
I run either a dri-fit layer, or something like hot chillys when it gets colder.
Kev is a better source for info.

Keep rolling!

Thanks Patrick. I have an Under Armour long sleeve shirt I'm going to try next as my base layer. Is that considered dri-fit?

dri-fit is the Nike version - they have a couple different levels. UA baselayer will work nicely.
does a better job at moving sweat away from the skin.

glad to here it is working!

be careful with the cotton layer. consider going tech instead.
I run either a dri-fit layer, or something like hot chillys when it gets colder.
Kev is a better source for info.

Keep rolling!
Thanks Patrick. I have an Under Armour long sleeve shirt I'm going to try next as my base layer. Is that considered dri-fit?
Glad you are figuring out what works for
You.
An under armor shirt may or may not help. It really needs to be a base layer, and tight/very close to the skin. That being said, some of their long sleeve shirts are similar material to a base layer (my son has a ton of it). Cold gear is UA’s cold weather stuff.

FWIW, dri-fit or similar are warm weather base layers. So, to use them in cold
Weather, they need to be paired with a warm outer layer. I have 4-5 base layers that I pair with 2-3 different jerseys/jackets. My personal favorite are my wool ones. It isn’t immediate warm like other ones I have, but it regulates your body temp really
well.
It is trial and error...

Thanks stb222 & Patrick, helps a lot. I think I understand now. My UA long-sleeve isn't that tight so it may not work well but there's only one way to find out!

I don't have a SINGLE jacket for cycling, but would love to get something light, inexpensive and wind-resistant (as much as possible). Water resistance is less important. Suggestions?

Thanks stb222 & Patrick, helps a lot. I think I understand now. My UA long-sleeve isn't that tight so it may not work well but there's only one way to find out!

I don't have a SINGLE jacket for cycling, but would love to get something light, inexpensive and wind-resistant (as much as possible). Water resistance is less important. Suggestions?
as the guys said, avoid anything cotton as a baselayer you will regret it within 5-10 minutes of sweating and it will make you colder.

If you are looking into low budget ways to layer up, you can get a "decent" winter jacket and then layer a windbreaker on top. This can help cut the wind chill significantly but also allow you to zip/unzip the front to vent some heat. I prefer the vests with a mesh/vented back panel so also let some heat escape. When I first started riding, I bought a windbreaker on clearance from Dicks sporting goods that has removeable/zip off sleeves so it can double as a vest. Depending on the base/jacket you wear underneath you may need to size up on the windbreaker, but just make sure its not too big that it becomes a parachute.

So full disclosure I am a brand ambassador for Pactimo, but I don't get any kickbacks or payouts or anything but you can check www.pactimo.com. Sometimes there are very good clearance items in the closeout section for 50-70% off but its also not returnable. If you wanted to get something from the regular items, I can privately send you a 30% discount code for any non-sale item which you can always exchange for size issues (dont cut the tags off). This stuff is not amazon cheap but if youre investing in cold weather gear or more regular riding it might be worth it to check it out.

Very helpful, thanks. The Pactimo stuff looks like really high quality gear. I'll try to find something that works and fits my budget! Thanks for the offer of a discount!

Back
Top Bottom