Getting Started with Cool/Cold Weather Riding - Socks & Gloves?

Unfortunately my bike is all apart, I started my winter rebuild (getting my frame powder coated) or I'd have a chance to try my setup, which as of now is the SuperFeet REDHot insoles and a larger pair of shoes. Planning to add to that either these neoprene socks or these shoe covers. Wondering how the latter stack up to the Pearl Izumi shoe covers above which are apparently (if these are the right ones) on sale at REI right now for $56. I probably won't have my bike back together for a while, powder coating places told me to bring it over after the holidays...

Shoes only get you so far. These work great (I broke out mine, and sleestak gloves, for the first time this year):

View attachment 144759

Did an hour and a half in 35° on the road this morning. The 45nrth Ragnaroks worked well but my feet did feel cold. I think the advertised 25° is definitely going to be the minimum for those shoes...at least on the road. I’m either gonna have to grab some decent shoe covers or go all in on Wolvhammers.

Did an hour and a half in 35° on the road this morning. The 45nrth Ragnaroks worked well but my feet did feel cold. I think the advertised 25° is definitely going to be the minimum for those shoes...at least on the road. I’m either gonna have to grab some decent shoe covers or go all in on Wolvhammers.

I was out on the road with just lightweight riding shoes, passive inserts and insulated shoe covers and feet were fine.

Wore the Ragnaroks yesterday with the rain, but had normal XC shoes today with Woolie Boolie socks. Was perfect. I did only wear a SS jersey over a LS base so I was cold when we stopped.

Wore the Ragnaroks yesterday with the rain, but had normal XC shoes today with Woolie Boolie socks. Was perfect. I did only wear a SS jersey over a LS base so I was cold when we stopped.
Yeah, I’m also pretty cold tolerant. I’ll wear shorts on a MTB ride down into the 30s. My feet and hands are not prone to poor circulation or feeling unreasonably cold. My feet felt cold today but it wasn’t a problem. I was just aware that it was cold. Wooly Boolie might be in the future. I really don’t want to spend the money on Wolvhammers for the handful of days per year I might need them.

Anything more than Ragnaroks is overkill IMO. Ragnaroks with Woolie Boolies gets me to Zero easily. I don't think we've seen single digits around here in quite a while. I'll wear something over my knees under 40 if it's not a race. I have a pair of super light Pearl tights that no one makes anymore.

Reactions: Tim
I did 2.5 hours on the road today and used my 8 year old Shimano road shoes with thermal insoles (not heated). I always put the chemical toe warmer over the top of the toe of the shoe and then used my Pearl Izumi elite barrier shoe covers over that. These are the bomb because they have a solid water resistant (not waterproof) top and front and it really keeps the wind chill out. Plus they are more heavy duty and take a beating cause the toe is also reinforced. My previous ones lasted at least 4-5 years easily and only that short before I had a crash and scuffed one pretty bad.

I wear a thin summer sock and then wool hunting sock over that when it’s this cold and windy. Today My feet were never cold from start to finish. I only stopped after 2.5 hours cause the wind gusts were making me Nervous to get blown off the road !
EEB9B702-53F1-455F-BC16-F4DEADA19166.png

For the road, just put shoe covers over the rag’s. On the road you are constantly in the wind, which makes a huge difference for shoes.

Reactions: Tim
Unfortunately my bike is all apart, I started my winter rebuild (getting my frame powder coated) or I'd have a chance to try my setup, which as of now is the SuperFeet REDHot insoles and a larger pair of shoes. Planning to add to that either these neoprene socks or these shoe covers. Wondering how the latter stack up to the Pearl Izumi shoe covers above which are apparently (if these are the right ones) on sale at REI right now for $56. I probably won't have my bike back together for a while, powder coating places told me to bring it over after the holidays...
Those shoes and or shoe covers won’t compare to those PI shoe covers.
And all this talk and you
Won’t even have a bike for a month?!

i LOVE riding in the cold, but for whatever reason, have a pretty low cold tolerance in my hands and feet.

this year i finally broke down and got the wolverhammers from REI (30% off!!!), and boy were my feet toasty this morning. overkill? maybe? but in order to ride comfortably in today's 26 degree temps, i would previously have needed toe warmers in my shimano MW501. riding everyday throughout the winter, those toe warmers start adding up!

at the end of the day, if you have cold/frozen hands or toes, riding in the winter will suck. so, whatever you need to do to be comfortable is the right thing for you.

Im also pretty cold tolerant, and swear by the Lake MXZ303. I dont love their buckles, the fit is a bit loose, but Ive never had cold feet with them. To the point I also wear them gravel riding with all the accompanying weird looks. I usually go for Darn Tough wool socks, meduim weight. I find that socks too thick actually make my feet colder.

1607378807349.png

For gloves I usually just wear full finger Pearl Izumi Cyclone gel. Occ my fingers will be cold, but not usually. I have a pear of sleestak gloves too, I never keep them on.
1607379027910.png

My cold tolerance is good but my feet are the weak link. I'm riding first thing in the morning and will be trying a pair of wool socks I got for Xmas 2 years ago but never wore. Hoping they fit comfortably in my 510s.

Back
Top Bottom