Getting Started with Cool/Cold Weather Riding - Socks & Gloves?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Would save all dollars and just buy a pair of shoes. 45NRTH Ragnaroks, Defrosters or the like are only $200 and make all the difference in the world. No combo of ghetto insoles and eBay socks can compare. Not to mention, you'll need to buy an oversized pair of shoes to make any of it work, so why not just do the right thing in the first place?
He’s not wrong. I was looking at neoprene socks last night but after thinking about it for a minute said F this and bought Shimano SH-MW7 Mountain Bike Shoes. Paid $180 for them. Will let you know how they work out.

rick81721

Lothar
Would save all dollars and just buy a pair of shoes. 45NRTH Ragnaroks, Defrosters or the like are only $200 and make all the difference in the world. No combo of ghetto insoles and eBay socks can compare. Not to mention, you'll need to buy an oversized pair of shoes to make any of it work, so why not just do the right thing in the first place?

Ever try their fasterkatt winter road shoes??

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I use shimano gore tex shoes and they are good from 60 degrees down to about 25. If colder I usually use toe warmers or foor warmers available at home depot. Bar mitts are another option. I wear a bontrager thein beany for the head and nothing on my neck or face. Under armour wool like base layer is usually enough under a wind jacket.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
so incrementally it is $125, not $200.
then you also don't need special socks or insoles. say another $40?
so now it is incrementally $80ish.

just making the case - i did all the things then got lake 303 (?) -
worth it. even if i only go out a couple times a month in the winter now.
they don't wear out like regular shoes, cause less wear, and don't go work as hard in the winter.
@kjarrett as I mentioned, winter shoes are the way to go.

That being said, everyone here has ridden multiple seasons without winter shoes using the items recommended to you. It is a great way to see if you even like riding in the winter as feet and hands is just part of the items to address.

kjarrett

He’s not wrong. I was looking at neoprene socks last night but after thinking about it for a minute said F this and bought Shimano SH-MW7 Mountain Bike Shoes. Paid $180 for them. Will let you know how they work out.
Those look solid. Could easily see going that route for simplicity sake once I get hooked on winter riding. Thanks for sharing!

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Got these.. Good between 15 and 35 degrees...

1606224442877.png

ebarker9

I see people out on the road in tights, standard-issue neon yellow jacket, and shoe covers when it's in the 60s.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
in - work great with zwift ;)
(had to head that off before Kev got into it...)

1606238076209.png

Ian F

Haha I just got back from a road ride. Roadies you see below 50 degrees:

View attachment 143947
Didn't you move to FL to not ride in the cold?

Oddly enough, the first mtn bike rides I did back in the late 80's were organized rides in SNJ led by roadies who retreated into the woods to get away from the wind. There is definitely something about a 40 deg. F wind in your face that is less than fun. I'll get to experience that tomorrow when I ride down to my mechanic's shop to pick up my van. Fortunately, it's only a couple of miles.

I agree temperature tolerance definitely depends on the person. I wear the same Fox gloves during most winter rides as I wear in the summer. I'll keep warmer gloves in my pack just in case, but rarely have I needed them. For me, it's my feet that need to stay warm and even then, I'm usually good with a good skiing sock and my regular shoes. I do have a pair of Lake winter shoes but I've worn them maybe twice. I've also taken to switching to flat pedals for the winter months. Bib tights are nice. I also have a collection of very warm cycling jackets (not sure how I ended up with so many...)

thegock

I have the same exact boots. They've served me quite well the past two winters.
I have the Lake 303s also. Below 25 degrees and especially out for two or more hours, my feet are quite a bit warmer in the 45NRTH Wolvhammers. The Lakes are probably a better value, but pretty heavy.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
in - work great with zwift ;)
(had to head that off before Kev got into it...)

View attachment 143945
do you even ride bikes anymore? :rolleyes: 🥲🤔

Haha I just got back from a road ride. Roadies you see below 50 degrees:

View attachment 143947
yea this pretty much describes my ride today also, i think i saw 3 other guys riding instead of 30 in the little over an hour i was out.

i have more pairs of cycling shoes than i have any other type of shoe, i have summer winter and inbetween (winter shoes are my old man winters by bontrager, warm and toasty with just regular cycling socks down to at least 0F, just bought a pair of the jack frost winter boots from them, which is a lightweight cold weather shoe, mostly wanted something waterproof for the 30-45/50deg days that hwouldnt leave my feet soaked at the end of the ride) then summer shoes x3, one pair for road 2 for mountain(one pair lives in my locker at work) remember im an oddball i can wear summer shoes down to 30F without a problem as long as my feet stay dry.

and then i have an equally interesting ladder of gloves that i switch between as needed, with the old man winter gloves (actually a two piece system) being the best of the group for cold weather (again 0F and still comfy and warm)

kjarrett

Said plate is 1” x 1”, that isn’t exactly going make your foot freeze.

If it is a concern, you can put foil on the bottom of your insole or get some like this:
Again, you need some volume to use these.
Thanks for the suggestion! RedHots just arrived - they fit perfectly in the one-size-larger-than-I-usually-ride MTB shoes I snagged off eBay. Plenty of room around my foot with a standard sock but not too much. With a set of these shoe covers (h/t Pat), or a pair of neoprene socks (h/t a.s.) I'm likely to be all set. Just need some cold weather to test them out, and to finish my winter rebuild, which started earlier than expected yesterday. Hopefully January!

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Rode for two hours this morning in 35° - 37° temperature. New Shimano shoes with thick ski socks worked well for about 1.5 hours. My toes got cold the last 30 mins but noticeable less than with my old setup, which would have my toes numb after about an hour. I’m going to try a thin wool sock under a thin neoprene sock next time.

Good luck with your new setup.

rick81721

Lothar
Rode for two hours this morning in 35° - 37° temperature. New Shimano shoes with thick ski socks worked well for about 1.5 hours. My toes got cold the last 30 mins but noticeable less than with my old setup, which would have my toes numb after about an hour. I’m going to try a thin wool sock under a thin neoprene sock next time.

Good luck with your new setup.

Shoes only get you so far. These work great (I broke out mine, and sleestak gloves, for the first time this year):

61nDViiQs8L._AC_UL1500_.jpg

Top Bottom