Getting Started with Cool/Cold Weather Riding - Socks & Gloves?

kjarrett

Hey all, wondering what your go-to's are for socks (including sock hacks like using a plastic bag vapor barrier) & gloves in cool/cold weather conditions. Pretty sure I'm good with layering for the rest. Thanks!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have a set of gloves that gets me to around freezing and then answer sleestaks for anything below that. I just ordered these for my above freezing glove:

A thick wool sock can get you into the 30’s with regular shoes, if you have a “enduro or dh shoe” you can probably get to freezing. The baggie vapor barrier adds a few degrees lower. Below that, specific winter shoes are the way to go. Booties and shoe coverings don’t work so well on mtb since you likely have to walk at some point.

kjarrett

Super helpful thanks. I have SH-M089L shoes, really like them for warm weather riding, they are really well ventilated (hence my concern). Not sure how much thicker wool socks are and if they'll fit. Checking out those gloves now, I have a shitty pair of Nashbar's from BITD, an upgrade may be imminent lol

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Super helpful thanks. I have SH-M089L shoes, really like them for warm weather riding, they are really well ventilated (hence my concern). Not sure how much thicker wool socks are and if they'll fit. Checking out those gloves now, I have a shitty pair of Nashbar's from BITD, an upgrade may be imminent lol
Yeah, you can try taping the vents from the inside with duct tape. Also tape over the clear holes from the inside, they basically just let moisture right in. Outside taping works better but looks ghetto and with leave residue/ruin the material.

johnbryanpeters

For warm feet, start by making sure you're using flat pedals. Clips transmit heat from the balls of your feet into the pedals with awesome efficiency.

kjarrett

For warm feet, start by making sure you're using flat pedals. Clips transmit heat from the balls of your feet into the pedals with awesome efficiency.
Thanks, wish that was an option, but I tried flats this summer, absolutely HATED them ... so I've gotta live with holes in the shoes, lol! Might be able to seal them up a bit with duct tape like stb222 recommended...

johnbryanpeters

Thanks, wish that was an option, but I tried flats this summer, absolutely HATED them ... so I've gotta live with holes in the shoes, lol! Might be able to seal them up a bit with duct tape like stb222 recommended...
It ain't air movement, it's metal cleat, bolts, and plate. Duct tape won't do squat.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
It ain't air movement, it's metal cleat, bolts, and plate. Duct tape won't do squat.
Said plate is 1” x 1”, that isn’t exactly going make your foot freeze.

If it is a concern, you can put foil on the bottom of your insole or get some like this:
Again, you need some volume to use these.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

If it is a concern, you can put foil on the bottom of your insole or get some like this:

winter shoe inserts make a big difference. so +1
----

winter shoes are the best investment for your feet - we are talking sub-30 temps.
regular thin sock, with warm shoes!

Starting with warm shoes - if you are showing up at the trailhead and pulling them out of the trunk,
it is starting with a serious deficit. Warm shoes. Even better, i put mine in a ski boot warmer. toasty!

snowboard gloves for when it is really cold. the kind that cinch at the wrist, and up the forearm.
again sub 30 - or even sub 20 for these. lobster gloves work. I wear rubber gloves to keep the sweat
from soaking the insulation - but it has its drawbacks (a rubber glove full of sweat.)

long leg bibs are also a difference maker.

goldsbar

Just keep in mind that everyone is different. Some people don't consider it cold until it's -20, others anything below 50 and they're freezing. If you're the latter, pay no attention to the people that go road riding with no gloves at 32.

For hands, my best luck has come from non-cycling gloves. I randomly found some cheap windproof fleece gloves years ago that are good for me until the mid/upper 20s. I have some xc ski gloves with a mitten style pullover that are good for a bit less. Once it's below the 20s (or maybe in the 20s depending on wind, moisture, sunshine, etc.) the pogies/bar mitts come out. They're cumbersome and another thing you have to put together, but unbeatable for warmth. Finally, always carry some chemical warmers just in case.

You have the feet covered already. Wool socks, plastic bag. Eventually, nothing beats a purpose-built winter shoe. Like you, I have no interest in flats. That hasn't stopped me from going on single digit rides. It really doesn't get colder than that in NJ.

PS: Some of the electric stuff is starting to look interesting

Patrick

Staff member
Some of the electric stuff is starting to look interesting

i have footbeds and pocket handwarmers which will fit in a glove. both good for single digits.
also at that point i use my snowboard helmet! i wonder if those homedepot work jackets would be too much?

i get cold easy nowadays - probably from not going out enough and acclimating. is what it is.

kjarrett

Damn those look SUPER interesting, and appear to be about the same shape and size of the inserts my shoes have in them now...

Here they are on Amazon, which I'd prefer because I can return them easily ... but they are more expensive than the manufacturer's site. Don't see that often!

My only concern with this approach would be that my mesh uppers would make any benefit from these essentially useless.

Still considering options. Super helpful info though, thanks all!

-kj-

Patrick

Staff member
Damn those look SUPER interesting, and appear to be about the same shape and size of the inserts my shoes have in them now...

Here they are on Amazon, which I'd prefer because I can return them easily ... but they are more expensive than the manufacturer's site. Don't see that often!

My only concern with this approach would be that my mesh uppers would make any benefit from these essentially useless.

Still considering options. Super helpful info though, thanks all!

-kj-

add in shoe covers to the order.

they are inexpensive - and also think of them as "disposable" - mtb really beats them up.

kjarrett

add in shoe covers to the order.

they are inexpensive - and also think of them as "disposable" - mtb really beats them up.
BOOM. Perfect. Thanks!

iman29

im more a roadie but I have had a lot of success using good wool winter socks (like hiking socks) and then i use the foot chemical toe warmers on the outside of my shoe and then put the above mentioned shoe covers over that. the radiant heat coming through the shoe from the chemical warmer is just enough to keep the feet from getting real cold and anyway your toes are the part that gets the most cold. I also use the chemical hand warmers inside my winter riding gloves and slide it onto the back part of my hand. This helps keep warm and also helps to dry the sweat a bit.

someone above stated real well that everyone is different to be prepared to experiment a bit and whatever you try, try it more than once. Road rides are colder (to me) due to wind chill and there are plenty of times my buddies are freezing but I am feeling pretty good. Also a general rule of thumb is to give yourself 20 minutes of riding to warm up and adapt, its normal to be like "i am f@cking cold" for the first bit before your body starts generating heat.

FWIW I ride all year round for the past 10 years and if its really cold I prefer a trail ride even just a rail trail, because I work a little harder and dont ride as fast, so it generates more heat and I can wear one less layer (maybe) and then no wind chill.

hope that helps.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Thin wool calf length socks with neoprene socks over that. I stuff 2 heat packs in the ankles if it’s below 40 but my toes get cold easily.

For my hands I do thin wool liners under pearl Izumi winter gloves. If it’s really cold I stick a heat pack in each wrist.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
PS: Some of the electric stuff is starting to look interesting
From the motorcycle side of things I can say the electric world is a godsend and worth looking into. It’s really changed my outlook for comfort. I have some electric gloves and wow the difference is amazing. 50 on a moto can be pretty damn cold, especially on the hands at highway speeds. Since you’re just sitting there, there’s no core body heat moving to the extremities.

On the mountain bike I’m good with my non-electric glove choices down to the 20s. Low teens and single digits and it sucks, so if we get that cold this year I’m going to try the moto gloves out on low. They can be pricey tho. My gloves were close to $200. There’s a glove I think would be great for bicycle riding from Joe Rocket that is much less in cost. Not sure how cycling specific would compare in cost:

Top Bottom