Getting Started with Cool/Cold Weather Riding - Socks & Gloves?

kjarrett

Said plate is 1” x 1”, that isn’t exactly going make your foot freeze.

If it is a concern, you can put foil on the bottom of your insole or get some like this:
Again, you need some volume to use these.
Damn these are on sale now, 25% off, $41.21 with free shipping. I wear a size 45 shoe now, wondering if these will fit/how much interior space I’ll lose...looking into some size 46 & 47 shoes so they’d be my winter-specific kit. With those shoe covers Patrick mentioned I should be set, might even get away with the socks I already have...

kjarrett

Thin wool calf length socks with neoprene socks over that. I stuff 2 heat packs in the ankles if it’s below 40 but my toes get cold easily.

For my hands I do thin wool liners under pearl Izumi winter gloves. If it’s really cold I stick a heat pack in each wrist.
Recently saw these - presume the neoprene socks you wear are full size? Would these work?

Attachments

• 81uXi-pyGZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81uXi-pyGZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 66

rick81721

Lothar
Said plate is 1” x 1”, that isn’t exactly going make your foot freeze.

If it is a concern, you can put foil on the bottom of your insole or get some like this:
Again, you need some volume to use these.

Is that a different version of the inserts you recoed a few years ago? I still use those

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Recently saw these - presume the neoprene socks you wear are full size? Would these work?

I’m sorry I should have been more clear. I wear thin neoprene ankle length socks. They are cycling specific and not the thick river socks. Mine are pretty old. I was looking to replacing them with these... https://www.amazon.com/Seirus-Innovation-Windproof-Weather-NeoSock/dp/B003X26EAC

Personally I’d go with a full sock over a toe cover.

Last edited:

kjarrett

RedHots don't get here until Friday, looking forward to evaluating them. Bought a pair of SPD shoes one size larger to see how they fit. Both can be returned if need be. Will see how that all plays out then consider other options including neoprene socks / toe covers. Thanks!

kjarrett

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Damn! Something else to consider. Those socks look amazing. Waterproof too. Wow. Thanks!
With neoprene you want to get the next size up. Especially if you’re going to wear a sock underneath. They go on pretty tight. A thin wool sock under a thin neoprene sock has always worked for me. And like I said, if it’s brutal cold then I stick heat packs in the ankles of the neoprene sock. Good luck!

thegock

45NRTH makes the best boots for winter. It is especially warm when the thermometer gets below 30 degrees or 20 degrees. The Wolfgars (I have a five year old model) are good down to zero Fahrenheit with a thick wool sock. At 15 degrees after 3+ hours, my feet were sweating. Of course that is $488 you could be spending on hookers and blow...

DSCN0138.JPG

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Would save all dollars and just buy a pair of shoes. 45NRTH Ragnaroks, Defrosters or the like are only $200 and make all the difference in the world. No combo of ghetto insoles and eBay socks can compare. Not to mention, you'll need to buy an oversized pair of shoes to make any of it work, so why not just do the right thing in the first place?

kjarrett

Would save all dollars and just buy a pair of shoes. 45NRTH Ragnaroks, Defrosters or the like are only $200 and make all the difference in the world. No combo of ghetto insoles and eBay socks can compare. Not to mention, you'll need to buy an oversized pair of shoes to make any of it work, so why not just do the right thing in the first place?
Well those are pretty compelling: https://45nrth.com/products/ragnarok-black

My logic:
- Not sure how much winter riding I'll be doing, so not interested in spending $200+
- Wanted the lowest cost solution while I see how much winter riding I end up doing
- The extra pair of shoes I got are identical to the ones I have now (SH-M088, just one size larger) and they're awesome
- RedHot insoles don't appear to be ghetto at all but okay ;-)
- I don't buy socks on eBay ;-)

Seriously, the Ragnaroks would definitely be the way to go, if I end up doing a lot of winter riding. Simpler, better solution, and clipless compatible.

They cost more than I paid for my bike on Craigslist, tho. :)

-kj-

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
he extra pair of shoes I got are identical to the ones I have now (SH-M088, just one size larger) and they're awesome

so incrementally it is $125, not $200.
then you also don't need special socks or insoles. say another $40?
so now it is incrementally $80ish.

just making the case - i did all the things then got lake 303 (?) -
worth it. even if i only go out a couple times a month in the winter now.
they don't wear out like regular shoes, cause less wear, and don't go work as hard in the winter.

kjarrett

Got the SH-M088's on ebay for $48, RedHots were $41, so, I'm in for $89 thus far. Still have my eyes on those $22 Rockbros covers you mentioned. Might be going with those too, not sure yet. That'd be my first foray. If I catch the bug (and sort out the rest of the required gloves, layers, outer, etc.) then I'd definitely consider the Lake's or the Ragnarok's.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
A shoe like a Ragnarok is not specifically a Winter shoe. I use them for Commuting through Spring/Fall as well as whenever the weather is wet or weird. They get equally as many hours as my Summer weight shoes, well worth it IMO. And, if you spend the money, you'll be more inclined to ride when it's bad out, thus making the investment worthy. The lower cost experiments are always a waste of time, effort, and money.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
So 45NRTH claims the Ragnaroks are good down to 25F. I would think they might be good to even lower temps? What's the coldest temp in which one could comfortably ride while wearing these? I'm not thinking long marathon rides but more like 2-3 hour-ish rides?

Top Bottom