Current Conditions

bclinsure

I'm hoping to go to Six Mile tomorrow morning but have read about how bad it is after rain. Although it didn't rain yesterday and isn't supposed to today, will it still be really messy from this past weeks rain?

Any insight would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
have not been there, but it is probably going to be pretyy soft tomorrow. We had a fair amount of rain, it has not been that warm and it has been cloudy for the most part.

THATmanMANNY

Really nice out! Just a hair slippy. Should be just right after sunday's sun. The only muddy goopy parts was the jacques lane field route back to the old red and the swamp pit of course.

The new work was money! :D

ArmyOfNone

Conditions at six mile today were excellent. Most of everything is completely dry and frozen with the occasional spots of ice and mud.

However the trails took a beating from this last storm. There are many trees and debris laying across some sections and the small tiny bridge on the blue trail has been pushed out of place by a fallen tree.

You can start to thank me now as I sacrificed myself for the good of all of you. I thought the water crossing was passable when I learned at the far end it is knee deep!!!! Unless you like to have frozen wet feet DO NOT CROSS THE WATER!!!

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You can start to thank me now as I sacrificed myself for the good of all of you. I thought the water crossing was passable when I learned at the far end it is knee deep!!!! Unless you like to have frozen wet feet DO NOT CROSS THE WATER!!!

Garbage bags and electrical tape in the camel back for that purpose...

Good to know... thanks for the update..

gdmcclellan

...rode there this morning around 8am and the conditions were ideal, everything hard and frozen. Did the full loop starting from the route 27 lot. The only sketchy areas were the last quarter of the white trail which was under several inches of standing water but was completely frozen, you could have ice skated it. And as ArmyofNone stated, the creek crossing is still about knee deep in areas, I had to bite the bullet, shoulder the bike and walk across. Looks like there have already been some people in there clearing some sections of the trail from the last storm and I did my part removing debris whenever I could. There is a big tree down right at the entrance of Red off the route27 lot. Other than that, the ride there today was great.

rlb

:mad: Missed it this morn due to family stuff. I hope its solid next weekend! Thanks for the updates.

Scalpeler

Conditions at six mile today were excellent. Most of everything is completely dry and frozen with the occasional spots of ice and mud.

However the trails took a beating from this last storm. There are many trees and debris laying across some sections and the small tiny bridge on the blue trail has been pushed out of place by a fallen tree.

I enjoyed the frozen tundra today also...

I learned the hard way about the depth of the water on the blue trail water crossing. Water was on the swift side too for a stream"

Note to self: the Gortex on shimano winter shoes only goes up ankle high....water was a bit on the chilly side

All in all, great time!

Last edited:

MannyL358

I must have been at the wrong park. :hmmm:When I rode 6mile today around 12ish things were in bad shape. The ice had started melting which caused me to ride around with an inch of clay on my side-walls. I started on the canal side and once I got to the stream crossing I had to turn back because the water level was knee deep. (Is there a way across without risking frost bite?) All in all a pretty disappointing ride today. :cry: I hadn’t been to 6mile in quite a while and was hoping it was completely frozen over. Next time I attempt to ride I will make sure the temperature will stay below freezing.

Scalpeler

I got done with my ride (back to my truck at the rt 27 lot) right around noon and it was still pretty solid throughout the ride...started around 10...there were signs of thawing but most "wet" spots were still frozen (ice rinkish).

I am also looking for an alternative route to that water crossing....as fun as it is to portage that water crossing on blue Im thinking there must be a "winter" route

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
there is another way! it will add more miles too! from 27, cross middlebush, to white to red to blue. when you hit the water crossing, turn around and go back to the canal to red to middlebush to 27 :D

rlb

I must have been at the wrong park. :hmmm:When I rode 6mile today around 12ish things were in bad shape.

You'll have your best results when you're out of the park by 10. The overnight freeze only lasts a few hours before things start to defrost. That's just the way it is this time of year. If the temp doesn't break 20 for the day you'll probably be fine all day long :D On those days where the daytime temp approaches 32, areas hit by the sun will start to soften up fairly early. If the forecast is above 32, be done by 10.

wonderturtle

so what youre saying rlb is that an afternoon ride Wednes and Thurs at 3pm will probably run me into a bunch of Six Mile Mud?

MannyL358

On those days where the daytime temp approaches 32, areas hit by the sun will start to soften up fairly early. If the forecast is above 32, be done by 10.

Thanks rlb....I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions