• january 6th

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • january 13th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • january 20th

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
Sean,

I've just gone through your La Ruta blog...amazing adventure. Funny part is, I also left for Costa Rica at 9:30 Am on November tenth, and saw a guy getting a big box off of the conveyor upon arrival in San Jose with the name of some bike company on it (Jamis, Giant, idk). I also remember thinking Damn! I wish I had my bike here! Amazing place is it not? Anyway...I am considering partaking in the torture this will be, put me down for a maybe. It's going to depend on the state of my ankle in two weeks time.

awesome. you can do it. i was looking for potential other la ruters at each of the airports. there were plenty. were you wearing a 24 hrs of allamuchy shirt?

I'm going to go ahead and bag my attendance at this event. The fact is that even in the best of conditions there's little-to-no chance I could finish this right now. With the snow it becomes a waste of my time, your time, and the local SAR people's time. Also, for family folk, this was the worst of the possible outcomes for a date since that's a crazy busy weekend. Have fun, take pictures.

I'm going to go ahead and bag my attendance at this event. The fact is that even in the best of conditions there's little-to-no chance I could finish this right now. With the snow it becomes a waste of my time, your time, and the local SAR people's time. Also, for family folk, this was the worst of the possible outcomes for a date since that's a crazy busy weekend. Have fun, take pictures.

I GAVE you the tires to win this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure 50 miles of rugged terrain in the harsh New Jersey winter is more about survival than winning! :p

I just haven't paid you yet.

You of all people should know this is over my head.

It's on me man. Without you Allamuchy Joe and the Jorba boys would beat me up and take my Nokian money................:)

I guess in some ways it could actually be easier with the current ground cover, I suppose?

myself and dave rode most of the course last night, err, this morning, something like that... the trails overall were in great shape. we ran into slipping problems about a mile before the end of the long, normally technical singletrack to taylor rd. by slipping problems i mean that without studs we could neither ride, walk, or generally move more than 1/4 mile in about a half an hour. THAT WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM for the race. we should have another half inch or so of warm snow over the current ground cover by then, and i will make sure that section of trail is usable, and if it isn't i'll modify the course. i will be riding the ENTIRE course the night before the race to make sure everything is in no less safe than as unsafe as it is depending on ones skill level. this is no longer a technical challenge, aside from balance in a few slippery spots. the trails are incredibly fun, especially the downhills. everything is so smooth and flowing. the usually steep rocky, loose, humongous climbs, are now only steep and humongous, and anyone with a granny gear and a decent set of lungs should be able to pedal right up them. the trails just roll incredibly. c'mon out norm. there are many bailout options en-route if you feel you can't go the rest of the distance.

gps from the ride below. we cut out most of the mahlon section, and as i said, had to abort one of the singletracks. on the chart/map, there will be an additional 12 miles tucked in there nicely at mile 5, and at mile '20ish' there will be an additional @350 ft climb followed by a really fun, incredibly awesome @475 ft descent. that'll replace roughly mile 20-21.:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=4615988

Last edited:
Bummed I'll be in Florida for the holidays. With a nice firm snowpack, that sounds like an amazing course!

been on parts of it

that is one sick downhill run going to longwood lake and then to just turn around to go back up the ridge is just pure abuse. have fun.

myself and dave rode most of the course last night, err, this morning, something like that... the trails overall were in great shape. we ran into slipping problems about a mile before the end of the long, normally technical singletrack to taylor rd. by slipping problems i mean that without studs we could neither ride, walk, or generally move more than 1/4 mile in about a half an hour. THAT WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM for the race. we should have another half inch or so of warm snow over the current ground cover by then, and i will make sure that section of trail is usable, and if it isn't i'll modify the course. i will be riding the ENTIRE course the night before the race to make sure everything is in no less safe than as unsafe as it is depending on ones skill level. this is no longer a technical challenge, aside from balance in a few slippery spots. the trails are incredibly fun, especially the downhills. everything is so smooth and flowing. the usually steep rocky, loose, humongous climbs, are now only steep and humongous, and anyone with a granny gear and a decent set of lungs should be able to pedal right up them. the trails just roll incredibly. c'mon out norm. there are many bailout options en-route if you feel you can't go the rest of the distance.

gps from the ride below. we cut out most of the mahlon section, and as i said, had to abort one of the singletracks. on the chart/map, there will be an additional 12 miles tucked in there nicely at mile 5, and at mile '20ish' there will be an additional @350 ft climb followed by a really fun, incredibly awesome @475 ft descent. that'll replace roughly mile 20-21.:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=4615988

Oh shit I missed this post yesterday. So are we talking a studded tire situation? Because I was thinking last night that you could really pump out some speeds on the frozen snow cover we have now with a set of studded tires.

w/o the mahlon "cascade drop in", i assume you will just require my assistance for the AM check in? if so, that would be a good thing as it will put some MBUs back ion my account.

yep, technical challenges are gone as far as time bonuses go.

norm, it's flurrying right now over the course, so there should be decent traction throughout, however, if we do encounter icy spots, the studs will give you a definite advantage without really setting you back anywhere else. they aren't that much heavier. were there is a slight crunchy layer on top, it is possible to keep a good speed up, but you can feel it giving some rolling resistance.

trailhead, not only will we be going down that powerline trail then up the trail across from russels camp, but one of the optional checkpoints is right there as well. it involves going all the way to the top of the pse&g trail on the other side of the valley. that's the one you can see going straight up the mtn on the left when dirving/riding toward 15.... :D all of those valley hills are completely non-treacherous right now though. just smooth rolling fast on the way down, and more ridable than ever on the way up. it's the best snowcover for riding that i can remember in jefferson.

WTF? I just looked on weather.com and for Sunday it says a 70% chance of rain. I'm not riding 40+ miles in the rain on my birthday. This blows...I wanna ride but not like this.

FINAL ROLL CALL!!!!

respond and make it public if you still intend on showing up for this. i will be there regardless, but if only three or four people are gonna show up, i'm not gonna go out tomorrow and saturday night to stock the checkpoints and mark the course. i'll just lead y'all on a group ride of as much of the course as you can handle.

Back
Top Bottom