Any Skiiers/Snowboarders Out There?

Sounds nice. With this cold weather, they should be making plenty of snow.

I was in NH this weekend. The ungroomed (closed) trail had about 4" of fresh, with a thin crust on top. Not that I hiked it and skied it or anything. I heard that was how it was...

late to the thread but I've read most of it and it sounds like there's some hardcore skiers and riders on the board which is great to see/read. Sounds like there are plenty of you getting some good days.

i've been riding since '86 or so. Went to school in VT and rode Bolton, 'Bush, and Stowe. Stowe is still my favorite and I've gotten 6 days up there so far this season.

Going to Telluride w/ the family in mid Feb and can't wait. It's the first trip for my kids to CO and my first time to Telluride. I heard the terrain is incredible - I just hope we get some fresh for the trip. As a bonus, my wife bought me a day of heli for the trip :stoked:

I don't get as many days as I would like but do love it. Once the kids get older, I'm hoping that increases a bit.

I was hoping Mergs would post some of his snowboard stories - he had a bunch of great trips he wrote up and posted on slowclimb.

Utah!!!

I'm super pumped-just booked a trip to Utah for March 13-17! Freshies here I come. Anybody been out there, have any advice? I have heard to try and do snowbird during the week and Brighton or Solitude on the weekends to manage the crowds better, and that a few places will honor your boarding pass as a lift ticket on the day you travel in, so you can ski for free that day. OK Only 6 more weeks.

I'm super pumped-just booked a trip to Utah for March 13-17! Freshies here I come. Anybody been out there, have any advice? I have heard to try and do snowbird during the week and Brighton or Solitude on the weekends to manage the crowds better, and that a few places will honor your boarding pass as a lift ticket on the day you travel in, so you can ski for free that day. OK Only 6 more weeks.

If it snows you might consider Powder mt on the weekend.

Very old school but mega fun.

Solitude is very fun too.

I once spent 2 weeks in Utah. During that time we got 23 feet of snow. Really.

I rode every day with locals and it was insane. The next 5 trips out there I rode solo and it was not the same but I managed to remember a lot of the fun lines.

If your doing any back-country you need to have your head on. People die within eye-shot of the ropes every year.

If you are snowboarding I would bring some Tubbs. I used to but I have a split-board now.

Wear sunscreen if the sun is out.

Don't drink (beer) the first night.

When you get there, ask for a humidifier. If they don't have one put the plug in the tub and run the shower on full hot till the tub fills. This should add enough humidity to keep you OK. Re-run the shower for about 10 minutes if you get up in the night.

Drink as much water as you can and use a camelbak.

On my last trip I started using Emergen-c powder in my camelbak and it worked great.

I was drinking 70oz by lunch every day and I felt great. I usually ride the full day every day and rarely stop, so the amount of fluid made a big difference. I didn't get sick either which was great since I usually do after a week on snow.

Keep your bags under 50 lbs or you will be paying the airline. They are getting cheaper every day. It is also becoming more common to ship you gear to the hotel ahead of time. There is nothing worse than sitting around on your 1st day while waiting for the airline to deliver you gear. I have played this game. Not fun.

last thing.. Get the right stuff: You should take advantage of the changes in powder specific boards and Skis. Float is fun. I ride a 168 nearly all the time out west with the exception of a 160 Fish which I am still on the fence about. I have a 174 that comes out for special days too. If you must ride a 159 park board in pow (duh) then at least mount your stance as far back as it goes on the back foot and maybe the front too. This makes a huge differnce. I love watching the park rats missing the whole powder experince because they are driven by fashion.

My friends who ski use sticks that look more like water skis than toothpicks.

Spend some time on the Gravity Research Forums and look what folks are running.

Have fun and come back alive.

For destination skiing, I just rent skis when I get there. Lugging a set of skis or two is a pain. My boot bag comes as a carry on. I can get my helmet/goggles/pants/gloves/etc in the boot bag, too. So the airline can't lose anything I need to ski:)

Absolutely,

For destination skiing, I just rent skis when I get there. Lugging a set of skis or two is a pain. My boot bag comes as a carry on. I can get my helmet/goggles/pants/gloves/etc in the boot bag, too. So the airline can't lose anything I need to ski:)

This is a Great idea. I went to UTAH with some friends to ski and one of my friends had her bag lifted by someone else. All her ski stuff was in it. For the next 6 days of skiing, she wore my 2nd set and we did laundry each night. Upon leaving, we checked for her bag (one more time) and there it was! Good to get her stuff back, but it was a hectic time mgmt kinda week.

As for skiing Utah, we ski and boarded Park City. Our friends live there so they knew all the "feels like out of bounds" ski spots. I'm an intermedate skier, but even I was doing black diamonds and going through the trees with them.

Last edited:
real men ski 209cm skis!!!

What is it 1990? Yeah, you can make some sweet hip-check noodling turns with them. :D
Like all sports skiing has progressed, unless you're spending a month in AK there's no need for nothing that length. And even if you are, I'd say go for a pair of pontoons at like a 189 max :D

Going to Killington this weekend with my buddies. I'm excited to get thrown out of a hotel and possibly arrested.

Going to Killington this weekend with my buddies. I'm excited to get thrown out of a hotel and possibly arrested.

now that sounds like some good clean fun.

i was going to hit MRG, but i think i'll head up to sugarbush or stowe instead.

What is it 1990? ...unless you're spending a month in AK there's no need for nothing that length. And even if you are, I'd say go for a pair of pontoons at like a 189 max :D

So true. I used to have 196cm skis. The ones I got this year are 165. I don't mind at all.

Let us know how the conditions are when you get back. I read a rumor somewhere that Killington has already laid off all of the snowmakers for the year. That could suck big time.

I think all of Killington's trails with snowmaking are open at this point.

I hope everyone has fun with their west coast trips, I'll be stuck here for a while so I'm jealous...

Anyone on here been to Big Sky/Moonlight Basin? I'm thinking that might be next on my list. Also I keep seeing more and more about Schweitzer.

J - Thanks for the advice, I would not have thought much about the lack of humidity until I woke up with a throat too sore to talk. I'll do my best to come back in as few pieces as possible, promise ;). I need to have something left to hurt mountain biking. I've only got one board, a 154 Palmer, so I am going to dial the stance as far back as it will let me and give it a shot. I am light, so that will help, but if I think a big fat board will do me a lot better I will rent one out there and give it a whirl. It has been 6 years since I have seen any semblance of powder on a mountain (Kirkwood in Tahoe), so I hope to learn how to ride it pretty quickly. I am STOKED to say the least. Oh PS everyone, was at Blue Mountain (the bike one) this past Sunday and conditions were great, almost no ice and dry trails with good traction. It was actually dusty in spots. I love that place.

J - Thanks for the advice, I would not have thought much about the lack of humidity until I woke up with a throat too sore to talk. I'll do my best to come back in as few pieces as possible, promise ;). I need to have something left to hurt mountain biking. I've only got one board, a 154 Palmer, so I am going to dial the stance as far back as it will let me and give it a shot. I am light, so that will help, but if I think a big fat board will do me a lot better I will rent one out there and give it a whirl. It has been 6 years since I have seen any semblance of powder on a mountain (Kirkwood in Tahoe), so I hope to learn how to ride it pretty quickly. I am STOKED to say the least. Oh PS everyone, was at Blue Mountain (the bike one) this past Sunday and conditions were great, almost no ice and dry trails with good traction. It was actually dusty in spots. I love that place.

What is your height, weight and shoe size.

I might have a board you could use.

Back
Top Bottom