6 Mile Run Conditions

So I was out working on a new section today, but before I got out there I stopped at the canal road lot.
The lot was basically full of cars with bike racks.
The park has revised the signage so in now says “too muddy CLOSED”.

I watched a few people ride around the sign and another group arrive back with their bikes slathered in mud

On the 27 side I saw no riders, but these pics show what looks like the aftermath of a CX race

Not
DC063C1E-9B43-4589-985E-51CC949032A0.jpeg
30995BD3-1EF3-4707-9971-C14263F05338.jpeg
impressed.

So I was out working on a new section today, but before I got out there I stopped at the canal road lot.

I watched a few people ride around the sign and another group arrive back with their bikes slathered in mud

On the 27 side I saw no riders, but these pics show what looks like the aftermath of a CX race

Not View attachment 119883View attachment 119884impressed.
People suck

Not View attachment 119883View attachment 119884impressed.
That one looks like one of the mud holes
On red. Time for a bridge there or is it not allowed because of whatever the cut is for.

It appears that the people who ride around a sign stating the park is closed for good reason need the law to punish their lack of sensibility.

Punishment is the only thing they understand. If I do X I will get a ticket and have to pay a fine. Maybe next time I won't do X.

It would be so satisfying to see the State Police in the lot writing tickets.

It appears that the people who ride around a sign stating the park is closed for good reason need the law to punish their lack of sensibility.

Punishment is the only thing they understand. If I do X I will get a ticket and have to pay a fine. Maybe next time I won't do X.

for what it’s worth, these are the people who rode the segment out of the canal road lot today.

they all needed to ride around a closed sign to access this segment.
20AC4F15-B3A5-484F-A72F-F8D91A9C5C37.png

Forgiveness>Permission

We should spam them all with follow requests on strava. Once in, unleash hell in the comments.
Don't even need to be a follower. I just found good ol Uldis and there are no comments on his ride. Are we gonna do this or what?

Is it possible to close the lot as well? The trails are closed to hikers as well right? If not, should be Yeah people can still park across the road and ride in. But maybe then it will be even more obvious. Yeah people suck....

Just for context, we rode through the Canal Rd lot Saturday a 12:30pm. Porto John stop. There was a single car in the lot with a hiker cleaning the mud from her boots. One guy with a bike rack drove in when we were leaving. On the way back on the towpath, there were a bunch of small kids in the lot dithering around, but still not many cars.

A couple of my friends who used to be mud riders have reformed, including the guy who was with me Saturday. The other guy made a point of telling me last month that the sign was up when he got to Six Mile so he didn't ride.

The point is that the signs are working, somewhat.

Good job, @jdog

IMG_20200222_124333-02.jpeg

I will never understand the allure of riding in these conditions. I pay a shit ton of money for my bikes and particularly my components to just F them up. Those SixMile tan particles, you know, the stuff that gets in every f-ing nook and cranny in the summer? It’s twice as insidious in liquid form.

BTW, I had a heated discussion with a runner family friend a couple weeks ago due to a social media posting bragging about the mudding that he/she and her/his xxRR (protecting anonymity) pals we’re doing at SixMile. The long and short of it is, the response was a polite form of GFY. Not unexpected really. I followed up with, if you guys/gals are gonna do this, could you at least not glorify it to the rest of your community? Crickets. Ok I says, how about this, would at least consider picking up some of the discarded items you see on the trail? I got the shoulder shrug. At least it wasn’t a no. ?

We suck.... but we have help in that department.

I will never understand the allure of riding in these conditions. I pay a shit ton of money for my bikes and particularly my components to just F them up. Those SixMile tan particles, you know, the stuff that gets in every f-ing nook and cranny in the summer? It’s twice as insidious in liquid form.

BTW, I had a heated discussion with a runner family friend a couple weeks ago due to a social media posting bragging about the mudding that he/she and her/his xxRR (protecting anonymity) pals we’re doing at SixMile. The long and short of it is, the response was a polite form of GFY. Not unexpected really. I followed up with, if you guys/gals are gonna do this, could you at least not glorify it to the rest of your community? Crickets. Ok I says, how about this, would at least consider picking up some of the discarded items you see on the trail? I got the shoulder shrug. At least it wasn’t a no. ?

We suck.... but we have help in that department.
I am about done with letting people know as it almost never received well. I contacted two local racers in my area about riding in bad conditions at another trail system after they took a ride on a day it was surely a mudfest. I explained to them that I am finally making progress with the park regarding mountain bikes and rutted trails doesn't help that process. One responded, the other one didn't. The following week, the one who didn't posted a picture of a rut he made, stating perfect winter conditions. The rut was in an area that is always a shit show, but it like, wtf.

6 mile mud is the worstest ever. it just isn't fun.

Just a heads up as things just took a particularly bad turn.

Someone cursed out the D&R parks commission superintendent yesterday.

we may need to do more to self police.

She’s asked that as a group we continue to self police and additionally that we consider having volunteers on hand on these warm weekends.

any takers??

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions