2013/2014 XC Ski Thread

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Mahlon should be good. I was out tonight and floated on the top layer in most areas. It was a strange sensation in the open areas like skiing on bubble wrap. Id join ya but I'm heading to Killington fur some real skiing

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
According to the office at Minnewaska, Castle Point trail had not been rolled yet. They claimed too many deep drifts. All others rolled. I may check it out tomorrow.

Any other condition reports from today??

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
12546665073_b56ccece30_z.jpg

Scuse me while I kiss the sky.

Ellen, my plan is to head to Minnewaska on Monday. Tomorrow we are having a family bday party for my son. If anyone wants to head up chime in, we can meet up there.

I spent yesterday and today at Thompson Park in Lincroft skiing classic and skate respectively. Its really fun to mix it up, i enjoy both styles of xc skiing. They groom there, but conditions set up well to skate today and I did not even need to stay in the groomed lane. In fact the tracks set for classic were somewhat on an obstacle while I was skating. It was a nice surprise to see Christine G and Suzy M out skiing today, we laughed at there husbands who were at home on rollers/trainers. The snow was coming down nicely today while skiing, not enough to hamper the glide but just enough to add to the beauty that is xc skiing.
Friday Classic Ski
Saturday Skate

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
12567233944_2cd7927c92_c.jpg

Game over in the back country of Wangchung.

I was enjoying some BC when this ^ happened.

Going downhill, approaching a small stream I planted my right ski in streambed, pushed off and lunged toward the bank with my left ski. Nailed it and grinned to myself in satisfaction. Once on the other side I felt zero glide with my right ski. I thought it got wet and snow was sticking to it after getting it wet in stream. When I took the ski off I realized I snapped it while pushing off of it at crossing. The tip and tail did not span the stream, with a 3 foot drop into it the ski did not handle that much flex...oh well. I had to walk out.

Good thing next week is my birthday, those skies where about 10 yrs. old with hardly any fish scale left and about 500 miles on them. I was due:D

jackx

That sucks! Sorry to hear about your ski breakage in the back country. At least you got 10 years out of them and not just 1 year before a breakage.

Were those skis for classic style and thus you might be buying freestyle skis for better skating? Or can you buy freestyle skis and put skins on them for classic? I dunno.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Were those skis for classic style and thus you might be buying freestyle skis for better skating? Or can you buy freestyle skis and put skins on them for classic? I dunno.

When I say back country I am using the term loosely. What I'm doing in watchung is more like adventure touring, or out the back door stuff. Real back country skiing involves fatter skis with skins attached for climbing up a mountain. Once to the top you take off skins and glide down through trees...real back country.
I own classic skis and skate skis. I will be replacing my classic skis i broke

TeamMuddySprocket

Any suggests for equipment for a beginner? My. Dad had wax less skis I would use in high school when running wasn't an option, he got rid if the years ago.... Since I live near to the canal thought I'd look into xc again. Thanks for any help

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any suggests for equipment for a beginner? My. Dad had wax less skis I would use in high school when running wasn't an option, he got rid if the years ago.... Since I live near to the canal thought I'd look into xc again. Thanks for any help

http://www.orscrosscountryskisdirect.com/fort-alpina-skis-solution-cross-country-ski-package.html This package is good for beginners. It will allow u to hop on the canal and find or make tracks. They are also not too cumbersome to bring to a groomed center with ski tracks, like High Point or New Paltz area. I would consider the upgrade when it comes to boots. This is the most important part of the package, being comfortable in boots. Boots are the direct contact point to your feet, your feet will appreciate a well made fit like a glove boot.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
View attachment 16431
Are there any ski shops that can fix this?
is it worth it?

Thanks

Not exactly sure whats going on in that picture, its too small for me to see. It looks like the P-tex delaminated from the wood base. I guess you could try to glue it back, but imo thats a waste of time.
How old are those skis? Can u bring them back to where u bought.

Otherwise...life is to short to ski on crappy skis. If your equipment is more then 10 yrs. old replace it and get the most out of xc skiing. We don't always get a lot of snow in NJ but when we do, be ready to go with good equipment and use it.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
http://www.orscrosscountryskisdirect.com/fort-alpina-skis-solution-cross-country-ski-package.html This package is good for beginners. It will allow u to hop on the canal and find or make tracks. They are also not too cumbersome to bring to a groomed center with ski tracks, like High Point or New Paltz area. I would consider the upgrade when it comes to boots. This is the most important part of the package, being comfortable in boots. Boots are the direct contact point to your feet, your feet will appreciate a well made fit like a glove boot.

+1 on the boot upgrade.

ebarker9

Anyone have BC boot suggestions? I've been wearing Rossignol BC X-10's which I really like but they're a hair too big (slight heel lift and I have to cinch them down periodically over the course of an outing). I've tried an additional insole which I think helps a little. I guess alternately I could try a heel insert. I always seem to be in between a 44 and 45, but 44's are too painful to tolerate (pressure on toenails) and 45's have a tiny bit too much volume.

The Kalmyk

It would be nice if XC sking had its own forum... Based on the length of this thread it seems to me it would get more traffic than the Watchung Wheelman forum... I plan on picking up some skis but not till the spring... Weird but I want to get the most for my dollar... Thanks for sharing all your rides... I follow this thread closely... Continue on

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
It would be nice if XC sking had its own forum... Based on the length of this thread

fat bikes got it's own and like 5 people go in that one. You can also just rename the WW thread to whatever the Hilltop peps call themselves....

The Kalmyk

how much would you value a ski/boot/pole setup that is 20 yrs old?
it's on craigs. User is my same weight, etc.

Ask when the last time he/she used them... I they have been sitting around the seller may just be making garage space and dump them cheap... Another question may be how much does it cost to bring them up to speed if they have been sitting... Waxing or whatever

Last edited:

cbiker

Hartshorne is packed down and skiing really nicely. As for BC boots I have an old pair of Merrill Matrixs I bought of ebay which are great if you like to ski hilly terrain.

THATmanMANNY

list $100. I may throw him $50. Or a giftcard I have around...

I will prob go solo on flat tow path or rolling hills or nearby park. So I'm not looking for some top notch equipment. Just something to get out. My last bike ride? I don't know. No fat bikes for me. My only exercise lately is shoveling. Sprained knee has also kept me down.

as for last tune, a long time ago but says excellent condition as is. The boots are probably from the same era as Norm's jacket. Swag

Top Bottom