2013/2014 XC Ski Thread

hmm, I thought the BC vs NNN wasn't that big of a deal. If it's really worth it I'll get a set of those.
I imagine I would ski some tracks, some groomed, and some backcountry.
but this year was such an epic snow year that we'll get nothing next year for sure, especially if I buy skis

12419341983_4a93c2b22b.jpg

Its been an awesome XC ski season. 2013/2014 goes down in the history books as being a memorable winter, for sure. After this year its going to be hard to imagine the coming winters as good, or for some...as bad.

I always get sad to see the winter and summer go. I get used to what I'm doing, grow attached to it and feel somewhat at a loss when its gone. This sentimental feeling fades as I get into the activities of the new season. The memories along the way make me smile and planning of future rides or skiing is always something to look forward to.

As the weather is getting warmer I plan on getting back to training on the bike to prepare for races as well as enjoying social time/rides with fellow cyclists. I am still toying with the idea of XC skiing the day after the Battenkill race. Mt. Prospect is not too far from Bkill. Getting some skating in the day after would be my consolation prize, since I am really not ready to race at Battenkill.

My advice to those who do not xc ski but are curious; start looking now for a set up on sale. We may not have a winter like this for another 5 years, but when we do you will be ready.

13041846684_240eb2701f.jpg

You may be able to mount NNN to an edged ski since its smaller but not sure. You will have to step turn cause they won't turn for shit in the normal fashion. Tryin to keep you guys from wasting time and money sure is hard. Whatev:hmmm:

Please give me your opinion on this set up:
Viole Vector BC skis
Viole Back country X2 bindings
Garmont Excursion boots

I am new to this.
This year I hiked up to ridge lines with hiking boots and had short downhill skis and boots strapped to my back. I put on the downhill equipment and I came down the ravines diagonally and across the woods where possible. I am not looking to fly down the steeps, just cut across the woods where nothing is groomed and be able to unclip and hike when needed.

I know the winter we just had is rare, maybe every 5 years or more. I know I won't be getting out into fresh powder and most of the time it will be ice or granular. I know there will be time to look for sales and research more. I figure that setup will last pretty long given how often those winters hit and how often I will be able to get out.

Is the above setup overkill, not correct, or just right?
Thanks

Please give me your opinion on this set up:
Viole Vector BC skis
Viole Back country X2 bindings
Garmont Excursion boots

I am new to this.
This year I hiked up to ridge lines with hiking boots and had short downhill skis and boots strapped to my back. I put on the downhill equipment and I came down the ravines diagonally and across the woods where possible. I am not looking to fly down the steeps, just cut across the woods where nothing is groomed and be able to unclip and hike when needed.

I know the winter we just had is rare, maybe every 5 years or more. I know I won't be getting out into fresh powder and most of the time it will be ice or granular. I know there will be time to look for sales and research more. I figure that setup will last pretty long given how often those winters hit and how often I will be able to get out.

Is the above setup overkill, not correct, or just right?
Thanks

That setup is perfect for the type of skiing you are describing, assuming you have some telemark skills. Those bindings and boots are a freeheel setup. My question to you is can you justify spending about $850 for a setup you may only use occasionally over a 5 year period.If you manage to find some crazy half off deal then it would be easier to pull the trigger. Or if you lived in the mountains of VT, ADK's or out west where there is plenty of snow then it would make sense as well.
Brett may have a different opinion...he usually does:)

That setup is perfect for the type of skiing you are describing, assuming you have some telemark skills. Those bindings and boots are a freeheel setup. My question to you is can you justify spending about $850 for a setup you may only use occasionally over a 5 year period.If you manage to find some crazy half off deal then it would be easier to pull the trigger. Or if you lived in the mountains of VT, ADK's or out west where there is plenty of snow then it would make sense as well.
Brett may have a different opinion...he usually does:)

Thank you and I agree with what you have said. The only way I can justify the price, even getting something on sale, is the potential regret of getting equipment that is not correct for the situation, and wishing I had spent more money. Knowing the opportunity to use the equipment locally is rare, I only want to buy once. If I have time to use it out of state, at least I already own it. I want to make sure I am pointed in the right direction. Thanks again.

I'm good with that setup. You want to Backcountry ski and thats the goods for it. This is a great example of my current issue. The manufacturers are naming their products in ways that are confusing to the way stuff is going.Pete is skiing BC, Iggs is hitting the resorts to skate and I'm using a BC XC to do it all, anywhere, anytime. Next year I'm gonna have a separate "Trail Skiing" thread. Metal edges required:getsome:I'm living for the extinction of waxless touring NNN:D

If you are just looking to get some bc turns in then you should just consider putting alpine touring bindings on your downhill skis and getting some climbing skins then you can use them at the resort in low snow years and take them to search for powder when there is a lot of snow around. They will also be better for parallel turns if you don't know how to tele. If your looking to do some bc tele skiing I would get full tele gear. But if you want to be able to ski trails in NJ on most years get some metal edged xc skiis.

If your looking to get one more day of skiing in Minnewaska had some pretty good skiing today there should still be enough snow to ski there on the next day it is above freezing. Tomorrow maybe a bit icy.

Back
Top Bottom