2013/2014 XC Ski Thread

c'mon iggy use my downhill techniques

I know Jimmy, I needed more \/ and less tuck. By the time I realized I was out of control the snow was too icy for my skis to bite into and I took a header. That was probably my best crash on xc skis.

12723976685_f1bcb43472_c.jpg

Iggy Sunshine

Despite this warm up over the last few days I believe we will have good snow coverage for at least another week with colder temps on the way. The key with older snow is timing it right to get optimum conditions. Snow that is too soft provides good control but little glide. The opposite of that is snow that is too hard and icy which is great for speed but offers poor control. Paying attention to temps is really important to ski on the good snow(glide with a ski that tracks for control). The last couple days the optimum time for skate skiing local golf course was between 8:30-9:30am(temps above freezing to soften frozen snow). The closer you get to this 1hr. window the better the conditions, going out too early or too late means poor ski conditions. If your skiing single track in the woods the window for good snow is wider, due to shade and snow pack that is more dense from hikers/snowshoer's and xc skiers.

So today I headed over to Baltusrol...a US Open golf course:D. The freeze thaw cycle has created dense firm snow needed for skate skiing. I have stepped up my training and have been pushing a solid tempo pace while skiing. While this training is beneficial to cycling I do realize its not going to help me kick booty at Battenkill. The only way to get stronger at cycling is to ride a bike, not xc ski. But hey I say doowutchyalike.

Ok, this is my fastest skate ski session.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/450134530

Also with a lot of folks here getting interested in XC skiing here is a great tutorial video on classic xc skiing. It is really important to take the time and watch this, regardless if you a back county skier, open parkland skier or skate skier, this is xc skiing 101. No matter where you ski, understanding the technique is paramount to anything you do on a xc ski. Also this guy reminds me of an older Ben...cocky and condescending sounding, but someone who really knows there shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqb09bLVdoM

Did High Point State Park w/ the boys yesterday. It was AWESOME!! They all stayed in "the line" while I went left, right,over trees and pretty much anywhere with impunity. Had a little trouble on the roads as hardpack is not my fave. Wish i had a GoPro cause it woulda been a great "metaledge" clinic for y'all. Iggs, you really think this doesn't translate to the bike:confused: Next weekend is gonna be RIDICULOUS:getsome:

I was just up in Killington this weekend. I thought about bringing the XC skis, but we only had two days and my friends convinced me it would be sacrilege to do so. I'm glad there's still a bunch of snow around here, as I would have expected it to melt more with all the warm temps this weekend.

Did High Point State Park w/ the boys yesterday. It was AWESOME!! They all stayed in "the line" while I went left, right,over trees and pretty much anywhere with impunity. Had a little trouble on the roads as hardpack is not my fave. Wish i had a GoPro cause it woulda been a great "metaledge" clinic for y'all. Iggs, you really think this doesn't translate to the bike:confused: Next weekend is gonna be RIDICULOUS:getsome:

I have a GoPro, but I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with you in the woods. Let me know if you guys head back to High Point and I'll try to meet you there.

By the time I realized I was out of control the snow was too icy for my skis to bite into and I took a header. That was probably my best crash on xc skis.

Ouch that looked unpleasant. Last weekend I was having some trouble at Mahlon with all the deep snow. One time I went down and banged my knee off my ski. It hurt but wasn't that bad. Then I did the exact same thing and hit the exact same spot.

I went left, right,over trees and pretty much anywhere with impunity.

i honestly hope we get some more snow with these storms that are supposed to be coming. i went down the sourlands on the alpine skis a couple times (strap them to the backpack, hike up and ski down). did the pipeline and also went straight into the woods. the pipeline was pretty fast. in the woods it didn't matter if there was a tree or rock or whatever in the way unless it was HUGE. could ski over anything without touching anything but snow.

I was just up in Killington this weekend. I thought about bringing the XC skis, but we only had two days and my friends convinced me it would be sacrilege to do so. I'm glad there's still a bunch of snow around here, as I would have expected it to melt more with all the warm temps this weekend.

I have a GoPro, but I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with you in the woods. Let me know if you guys head back to High Point and I'll try to meet you there.

Ouch that looked unpleasant. Last weekend I was having some trouble at Mahlon with all the deep snow. One time I went down and banged my knee off my ski. It hurt but wasn't that bad. Then I did the exact same thing and hit the exact same spot.

Forgot to tell you, your in the group now.Prob goin big on the 2nd and 8th. Stay tuned...........

Sussex County
Average Base- 16"
Dusting to a few inches every day for the next 6 days
Currently- SNOWING!!
XC meter- F#$# YEAH:getsome:

Also with a lot of folks here getting interested in XC skiing here is a great tutorial video on classic xc skiing. It is really important to take the time and watch this, regardless if you a back county skier, open parkland skier or skate skier, this is xc skiing 101. No matter where you ski, understanding the technique is paramount to anything you do on a xc ski. Also this guy reminds me of an older Ben...cocky and condescending sounding, but someone who really knows there shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqb09bLVdoM

Better call Saul! Think this guy seems so cocky because he never uses the word "umm" or "uhh" while he is talking.

Good video though. Umm. Thanks. I also watched his video on ski waxing...it was informative.

7530639072_4649d791ea_b.jpg

The grass is always greener in July

Yeah, Saul is my goto guy for all things xc skiing. Dude is all biznuts.

Yes I'm still skiing in case you were wondering. As you recall I broke my classic touring skis but I've managed to get some decent days in on my skate skis. The base is certainly firm enough with the cold temps making a comeback. Yesterday was on the icy side, it didn't take much effort to get the speed up. Today was better conditions with the dusting of fresh snow we recieved. I've been mixing it up with the golf course selections. Galloping Hill and Baltusrol are within 10 minutes of my house. Today when I was walking back to my car after sking Baltusrol a security car rode right past me and didn't say a word to me...I guess they are getting to know me. I always make sure my form is perfect when I skate past the clubhouse. The rich folks need something to watch while eating dinner and sipping wine.

Yesterday;http://connect.garmin.com/activity/452057328
Today;http://connect.garmin.com/activity/452057322

If any of you ski at the Snow Bowl be very low key as I have heard that a few skiers have been fined $100 for skiing there, I don't know what caused this new policy because in the past no one has ever bothered me there maybe someone was injured. The new sign at the bottom of the hill says no sleds or any devices without brakes allowed on the trail so I guess you could technically argue that your skis have brakes if they are dh skis but good luck.

So my cheap boots came in the mail this week and I took the '80s monsters for their first spin tonight in an interesting place.

14492_10200953898284757_2111840709_n.jpg

Snow was frozen solid and bumpy so that sucked but I was just trying to get the hang of it. I have a long way to go but it was fun and better than sitting on the couch. I'm psyched for the snow on Monday as I'm sure it will be easier going then. Park Police passed me a number of times and said nothing (but gave me "wtf?" kinda looks). Seems like Liberty State Park will be a good place for a beginner like me. Lots space and only a couple very small hills. Just need more snow bc there's a lot of grass showing there now.

Last edited:
How do you guys think the ungrommed places will be skiing today?
Will they be rock hard from the cold spell or will the sunshine soften it up to make it nice?

How do you guys think the ungrommed places will be skiing today?
Will they be rock hard from the cold spell or will the sunshine soften it up to make it nice?

It will most likely be rock hard for most of the day. Your best shot would be to go out at 3:00 and give it a shot to see if the temps soften the top inch of snow. It is suppose to be warmer today(high of 39 in cranford).

XC skiing on rock hard snow/ice is not really xc skiing. Its more like trying to hang on and keep your balance on skis that are too skinny on snow that is too hard.

If you don't mind driving up to High Point or New Paltz to a groomed center I would say that this is the place to go today. The other option is to take out mtb and ride the trails, they are probably firm enough with snow pack.

Last min

Going to Windham tomorrow for the day.

If you want to tag along and you are really convenient to scoop up or meet at my house in Hillsborough, pm me. Room for one more. 7am departure

FTR, rolling snow tires

Conditions weren't that great at High Point today. It was very packed down with minimal tracks in most areas, and there was plenty of ice as well. It might have been good for skating, but classic was pretty tough. The best conditions were off trail in the woods, which I found kind of surprising. I figured it would be all frozen and nasty.

Apparently I skied in two states today:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/453451544

Mahlon was skiing pretty well on the less traveled trails a few days ago its definitely hard packed but like natural groomers out there. The sides of the wider roads and the highlands trail had no traffic at all and skiied pretty well.

High Point was better today, still not great though. The best part was the back woods again. Other than the main green trail, it seemed like I had the place pretty much all to myself.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/454199419

I'm gonna try to get out to Tourne or Mahlon tomorrow and/or Tuesday depending on how much snow we get.

Back
Top Bottom