Straight Edge, French Press & Nick David

Glancing Aft

I just love when people are all about being straight edge in their younger years because it was a big part of the punk/hardcore scene...and then they grow up and realize they don't want to live the straight edge life anymore...but to each their own...

Way to make me feel like a chump :mad:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
"if you're not straight edge now, you never were", so clearly i never was. but back when i was, i had different reasons for it. alcohol had never tasted good, and i had too many alchoholics in the family, asthma kept me from wanting to smoke anything, and i disliked hippies and ravers, so i didn't want anything to do with drugs, since i associated all drugs with hippies and ravers. then i tried some good beer, and i liked it. so i drank more of it. i'm still drinking it. but i'm not a hippy or a raver, thankfully.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i did a lot of drugs and shit when i was young. and my dad was an alcoholic(sober for years now) so ive actually never drank. but i did all that stupid shjit when i was a kid, so its not like i never knew what it was about before i went edge.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i totally agree with you, i stop calling myself "straight edge" like three months ago. not because i lost any ideals, just because it became too much of a title. i still don't do anything that i didn't do when i was edge and don't intend on stopping but i just don't want to be associated any type of a scene or anything like that

people just have so many misconceptions about 'straight-edge' and it isnt ever worth arguing with poeple about it. I have kept the edge for probably 15 years now after my bro had major problems with drugs and drinking and I was into the hc scene. I am not against drinking, I just don't do it. While I have tried some fruity drinks over the years, I still think a snapple taste far better then any alcohol and I certianly don't need to get drunk for an excuse to act stupid or say dumb shit.

J

Jeff

I'm glad that this sparked as open-minded, non-defensive of a discussion as it has. Usually these things turn to mudslinging in the blink of an eye...

"if you're not straight edge now, you never were", so clearly i never was. but back when i was, i had different reasons for it. alcohol had never tasted good, and i had too many alchoholics in the family, asthma kept me from wanting to smoke anything, and i disliked hippies and ravers, so i didn't want anything to do with drugs, since i associated all drugs with hippies and ravers. then i tried some good beer, and i liked it. so i drank more of it. i'm still drinking it. but i'm not a hippy or a raver, thankfully.

My sentiments exactly. From the beginning of time, most of my family were drunks, so I never had any yearning at all to follow down the same path. On top of that, I was big into the hardcore 'scene' and bands when I was younger, many of which touted the 'edge' lifestyle. On top of THAT, I noticed that all of the young kids my age who were drinking and using drugs were complete and utter douchebags. Naturally, I didn't want anything to do with any of it and gave a lot of people a lot of shit about drinking and drugs. I was also very naive.

It wasn't until I was out of high school that I ever even considered drinking. Some would say I broke edge; others that I waited until I was mature enough to experience certain things on my own and make judgments that way. The older I got, the more I felt that a lot of people who were straight edge turned more and more into elitist, condescending pricks (not all, but many). I didn't want to be anywhere near that sort of thing, which in many ways spurred me on to drink even more. I definitely got a bit out of control for a while, but I always knew in the back of my head that I just had to get it out of my system and I'd be fine (which is how I deal with a lot of things). I also experimented with plenty of weed, and acid and mushrooms a few times as well. It's impossible to try to explain to somebody who hasn't done them, how things like that can change your prospective; but I am 100% sure that if you're an intelligent and open-minded person, then it's a good thing. I have since stopped drinking all together and have no yearning to do it. But I still enjoy some ganj on a beautiful day! A lot of people would be surprised to know how much it can help your cardio as well...

Anyhoo, I'm rambling now, back to work!

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i agree with what most all of you are saying. when i was younger(im 29 now) i cared a lot more when people broke edge. nowadays its just like ok, who cares. all that matters to me is that IM still sticking to my convictions. shit, i take people on beer runs and such and buy my girlfriend drinks when we are out to dinner and what have you. i obstain from things for ME now instead of the outlook of an entire scene of people. granted i still listen to hardcore and go to shows once in a blue moon, but im not in the scene anymore and havnt been for quite a while. some people drop the actual title but stick to thier beliefs of straight edge and thats just fine to me as well. i myself believe that i made a commitment and im going to stick to it. i got some buddies near 40 that still carry the title. i guess everyone has to have a passion for SOMETHING. haha.

also with what jeff said befor about this being a good debate and not a pissing contest is awesome. it just goes to show that theres a bunch of good level headed people on here. i havnt read anything saying "go drink an f'n beer you p***y", lol.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
also with what jeff said befor about this being a good debate and not a pissing contest is awesome. it just goes to show that theres a bunch of good level headed people on here. i havnt read anything saying "go drink an f'n beer you p***y", lol.

jeff, piss off, x breaking mo fo, judge will be bringin' the hammer down on your ass someday soon....:getsome:
:)

BiknBen

Velocitygirl said:
Thanks for making me feel old guys...I have no freakin' clue as to wtf you're talking about...

Shaggy said:
me too :confused: that has been happening a lot recently, but i stopped admitting it on-line :rofl:

I'm lost too. I thought we were supposed to post pictures of ourselves in this thread. 9 pages of posts later and we are debating the use of a straight edge vs. a French curve?

Can someone recommend some good winter shoes? ;)

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
:mad2:::firestorm plays in the distance like thunder:::mad2:

I thought he was quoting Judge not earth crisis. :D

Speaking of earth crisis, all of the stuff they did after firestorm is damn near unlistenable to me, yet i love the whole firestorm cd. Weird.

This has been a good discussion to read. I've never really had the urge to label myself, but respect those who have stuck it out.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i agree with Ken, it has been a pretty interesting read. however i also agree with ben. this is has veered way off for way too long, even by MTBNJ standards. at some point, i'm whipping out my moderator powers and will segregate a lot of this discussion to the OT forum.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
This has been a good discussion to read. I've never really had the urge to label myself, but respect those who have stuck it out.

I agree Ken, 'back in my day' if you couldn't handle your high or your alcohol, you just didn't do it, especially not to excess, we didn't turn it into a movement.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
unicorn vs. narwhal

in a fight between a unicorn and a narwhal, assuming the unicorn is the fair and noble creature that it is and enchants the narwhal with temporary lungs and an ability to fly for the sake of battle, who wins?

i have money on the narwhal

Top Bottom