Straight Edge, French Press & Nick David

Lots of interviews today so I'm just reading this all now, and since sXe and hardcore were a decent part of my formative years, I'd like to chime in if that's OK:

The sheer numbers of kids with Xs on their hands at shows back in the day was through the roof. At your average NJ show I'd say more than half the day's population was sporting them. 15 years later how many of them drink occassionally? Probably most. But that's OK. Because I don't view it like they stood for something and now they don't, so therefore they're of weak character. They were a part of something positive, and part of it still lingers in them. (I doubt many developed drinking or drug problems.) That said, did I think calling yourself sXe at the time was a weak way to join the herd, much in the same way as being pressured to smoke ciggies, drink, drug, etc was? Yep. But at least it didn't screw things up for you.

A firestorm to purify.

nah sxe was about me. even from the beginning. when i decided to go straight edge i lost a LOT of friends. not becaseu i wanted them out, but they wanted ME out. apparently IM an a-hole because i DIDNT want to get high with them anymore. fast forward 6 months they all graduated from pot and acid to coke and K. im glad i chose the better path. looking back i do not regret making the choice of quitting everything. and if someone cant be my friend becasue i dont do drugs with them anymore, than i guess they were never a friend to begin with. i see some of them dudes today(12 years later) and its cool. as if nothing happened. but they still always have something to say about it. "still straight edge? thats gay". apparently being responsible is lame these days or something. hahah. but the whole time ive been edge i have always had the "to each is own" attitude". i dont hate on people that drink or smoke pot. i DO however hate people that abuse it. and i will NEVER support hard drug use.

At the race at Wawayanda yesterday (and by the way man, you should definitely race -- it's intense and fun), Mike (van dbtr on here) says "I used to party. Now this is my party." Racing rules because I can think about it, train for it, get nervous about it, get the adrenaline flowing, and then -- BAM it all comes out. I don't have anything like that elsewhere in my life. Something exciting that I can anticipate. Like when I was going to a show at 19 and knew I was going to go off. The fact that now it's a bunch of adults hanging out in the woods in spandex is a little weird, but whatever, it still rules.

spandex.JPG

obviously here to party:getsome:

How did I miss all this fun?

VSE732 represent!! Ha, we were all so "hardcore" when we was young. I remember being an animal rights fanatic, protesting, writing letters, being pissed at everyone who didn't believe. Then I realized being Vegan is impossible, just like being straight-edge is impossible. I've been meatless my whole adult life, I knew it was wrong when I was kid, but out of respect for my parents, I ate what they gave me...I made the choice when I had kids to include dairy in my diet and we are all vegetarian now...I used to refer to myself as "straight-edge" as well, albeit I've never drank alcohol or done drugs, we forget things like soda have caffeine in it, caffeine is the most abused drug in the world, just like aspirin...And let's not forget true straight-edge don't believe in sex either, try cutting that out:D

-Jim.

VSE732 represent!! Ha, we were all so "hardcore" when we was young. I remember being an animal rights fanatic, protesting, writing letters, being pissed at everyone who didn't believe. Then I realized being Vegan is impossible, just like being straight-edge is impossible. I've been meatless my whole adult life, I knew it was wrong when I was kid, but out of respect for my parents, I ate what they gave me...I made the choice when I had kids to include dairy in my diet and we are all vegetarian now...I used to refer to myself as "straight-edge" as well, albeit I've never drank alcohol or done drugs, we forget things like soda have caffeine in it, caffeine is the most abused drug in the world, just like aspirin...And let's not forget true straight-edge don't believe in sex either, try cutting that out:D

-Jim.

i've heard that marriage is the new straight edge;)

-Jim.

i've been caffeine and pain reliever free :) fine, i took an advil last year, but that was cause missing school sucks when ur sick

And let's not forget true straight-edge don't believe in sex either, try cutting that out:D

-Jim.

i never got that one myself, ian mackaye just needed to fill i the rest of the verse and thousands of kids thought they couldn't bang. btw, i heard filler on xm the other day, minor threat discography, one of the best of all time...

Back
Top Bottom