Smashed up mud crossing

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
The section that you guys are talking about is in a flood plain. I was out there last spring and I saw the water line about head high after a spring flood.

I dragged those pallets out of the woods after the flood and I was surprised how long they held up.

That section will be a muddy mess in about 4 weeks.

There is little that anyone can do to prevent this.

Mud is OK. Really.

This is one of the few spots that things can really go wrong here. Imagine if we lost access to that cement bridge because that homeowner doesn't like you building something over there.

I am working with the Jorba dudes at making 6 mile something much much better than it is now.

Just keep in mind that with every move you make you are representing mt bikers as a whole.

You might never see the trail monks but I can assure you we are on the case.

If you want to work let me know and I will put you to work.
j-

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just keep in mind that with every move you make you are representing mt bikers as a whole.

I just want to highlight this quote and note how true it is. True in many respects. When you guys lose your cool and post on MTBR - this represents us. When you throw litter on the trail, including spent tubes - the same. Illegal trails, bad trail manners with hikers/etc. Just keep that in mind.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Yes

I just want to highlight this quote and note how true it is. True in many respects. When you guys lose your cool and post on MTBR - this represents us. When you throw litter on the trail, including spent tubes - the same. Illegal trails, bad trail manners with hikers/etc. Just keep that in mind.
This needs to be a sticky or something. Whether or not people want to hear it, this is the truth.

I might add that most of this stuff is nothing more than specific examples of being a decent person in general anyway, but that's a whole other mess, isn't it?:rolleyes:

Sircrashalot

Since I started this mess (only moved the wood once there were rusty nails sticking up everywhere) maybe I have a unique angle on the thread. I am appreciative of Pearl jumping in to offer me help so fast. He and I are both very very new to this forum, and I think we are cognizant (sp?) of that. I think we both were trying to in fact show that we want to paint MTB'ers in a good light and that we are that kind, and not the kind that leave litter and spent tubes in the trail. Personally, I ride out every time with a back pack full of other people's garbage.

One of the reasons I do that is because I am SO amazed by the quality of six mile and the amount of time and effort that has obviously already gone into it. WHen I saw this crossing falling apart just as the wet season approaches, I felt I should do something to prevent the quality of the trail from going backwards. I think this thread has had the desired result in that it has gotten a bunch of us who love riding six mile talking about this problem now, while it's still dry, so that when it starts to get really soupy we are closer to action instead of beginnning to discuss solutions.

Pearl and I were tossing around potential fixes publicly to facilitate finding the appropriate response, and to allow anyone with an interest to comment, as has now happened. I think forums exist for this exact reason. Because of this thread, instead of one (myself who first moved the palate due to what I felt was a bad flat tire and potential lock jaw issue from the rusty nails) person or two taking action potentially without a full understanding of the history and dynamics of the location, an intelligent discussion is taking place to ensure that those who live near the trail and use it all continue to see our use of the area as a positive.

Personally, I kinda like mud, but have read in a large number of MTB related places that riding through soupy areas damages trails, and leaves nasty tracks when dried that tick off hikers walkers joggers naturalists bird watchers hunters, equestrians, etc. The start of a search for a remedy was intended to avoid these potential issues.

WOW I feel like I am at a town council meeting. I think everybody who has posted here has exactly the same goal. I think the MTB'ers who litter and randomly do things in trails that tick people off dont take the time to join the forum. I think that everybody here has the same goals, and most of all I hate written words because without body language and facial expression it is hard to judge the tone of a post. I deal with it in my work and so have learned not to try to read tone from words unless it is blatant.

ANyway, I for one think that this thread is a great example of the forum working by preventing rash action and by bringing people together to find the best solution. Beers for all of us!
Right now it is blue skies and 70 and dry, so I go ride!!!!

Wobbegong

The ball is rolling with JORBA and the Park. Thing are going to happen soon.

The area is a flood plain, like Jdog said. I've been riding at Six mile for many years, like others on this forum . Every year in the late fall/winter, that whole area goes to mud and stays that way, any rutting will be washed in the next flood. It goes to a rutted mess and then recovers. I've seen the cycle many times over, its one of the few areas I ride thats a mud fest and don't feel bad about trail damage.

I will keep you posted as info comes my way, but trust me and Jdog when we say things are going to get better. Jdog has some ideas for some sections of the park that are fantastic, it looking up for the park. Keep the enthusiasm, it will be put to good organized use soon.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG

I'm proud of you young man! ;)

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
The section that you guys are talking about is in a flood plain. I was out there last spring and I saw the water line about head high after a spring flood.

I dragged those pallets out of the woods after the flood and I was surprised how long they held up.

That section will be a muddy mess in about 4 weeks.

There is little that anyone can do to prevent this.

Mud is OK. Really.

This is one of the few spots that things can really go wrong here. Imagine if we lost access to that cement bridge because that homeowner doesn't like you building something over there.

I am working with the Jorba dudes at making 6 mile something much much better than it is now.

You might never see the trail monks but I can assure you we are on the case.

If you want to work let me know and I will put you to work.
j-

Jdog and Wobbegong:

Well said guys... just and update: I'm still working on scheduling a walk-through with the Naturalist and Park Super.... will advise asap.

Incidentally, she mentioned in an email about some boardwalk construction on blue.

... one project is to have a board walk replaced on the blue trail that has gotten very broken down. (the one right near the cedar forest towards the end of the blue trail were it meets the red.

Is this the same trail we're talking about here, or elsewhere?

Last edited:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
The ball is rolling with JORBA and the Park. Thing are going to happen soon.

The area is a flood plain, like Jdog said. I've been riding at Six mile for many years, like others on this forum . Every year in the late fall/winter, that whole area goes to mud and stays that way, any rutting will be washed in the next flood. It goes to a rutted mess and then recovers. I've seen the cycle many times over, its one of the few areas I ride thats a mud fest and don't feel bad about trail damage.

I will keep you posted as info comes my way, but trust me and Jdog when we say things are going to get better. Jdog has some ideas for some sections of the park that are fantastic, it looking up for the park. Keep the enthusiasm, it will be put to good organized use soon.

Thanks for your patience guys... more good things will come ... :)

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Jdog and Wobbegong:

Well said guys... just and update: I'm still working on scheduling a walk-through with the Naturalist and Park Super.... will advise asap.

Incidentally, she mentioned in an email about some boardwalk construction on blue.

Is this the same trail we're talking about here, or elsewhere?

Different spot.. Same issue.

Jeffer, we need to get your arse out there!!

J_

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
no doubt... and frank's coming with... just to show me how to ride logs with steeze.

The only problem is they don't call or email that they're coming to ride your local park & they bring beer.:hmmm:

ArmyOfNone

not sure what section they are talking about either. there really are only two sections in the park that have plank or pallet sections. And one of them is not there anymore. :hmmm:

Sircrashalot

Thanks for your patience guys... more good things will come ... :)

Keep me in mind when you need help working on stuff there. By the way I rode through yesterday, and the salvaged pieces from the smashed up palates were pretty much in place and kinda nice to ride over. I bet $1 that they sink quick once it gets really soft but for now its way better than with rusty nails sticking up, and will do just fine.

Thanks also for the info about the flood plain there and the trails ability to 'heal' - I started riding there last January and everything was pretty much frozen, then didnt get there for awhile in the spring so I missed the wet time. I have noticed debris CRAZY high up on trees from the flooding early this summer though- missed that too was on vacation when that went down.

Frank

Sasquatch
The only problem is they don't call or email that they're coming to ride your local park & they bring beer.:hmmm:

post TM rides don't count. That was a very last minute choice. And it was root beer.

Last edited:

jimmysnukastyle

I'm still in on helping at six mile - home court. I wouldn't knock on doors - if any houses are issues please feel free to direct them to me. I'm on the Franklin Township Zoning Board and am active in the township. I'm also in on a lot of historic preservation. I know a lot of people that know a lot of people. Those houses need favors - just like us. Knocking on doors and trail maintenance is suitable anyway because my shoulder is still all fucked up - from six mile...
Dan

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG

it was intentional: you're too fast for us, you'd be back at the car first and swill all our (root) beer without us.

we'll call you next time kirt, promise :)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions