tubeless pro/con

it wasn't an option for me 35 lbs. ago and may not be still. i have to run high pressure anyway (in the 40 range) and i could loose 200g outta my arse for free and get the same weight savings. :D until i'm stuck at like 160lbs i'm not concerning myself with it.

everyone i've spoken to using them hasn't had problems. i wonder if the problems on mtbr are cause by user error regarding impatient or improper install, or innappropriate rim/tire choice. stans has all the compatibility issues listed on the site... i think i'm gonna try it eventually.

from what I've been told, you are correct above.

i believe that one common install problem is during the initial inflate. my LBS says a high pressure inflate initially (meaning using a compressor) tends to make the whole process smoother.

that said, i have only ridden with folks with stans... and chatted about it. never tried it personally. i'd love to hear how it goes with you and what rim and tire you used.

i refuse to do housework or bike wrenching without a beer in hand or nearby... which explains the mechanical difficulties on the trail. :/

Last edited:
well I took the plunge with my Rhino Lite XLs, 2.3 Nevegals, and Stans conversion kit. Starting to see what Pixie was talking about. 2 days and I'm not completely sealed, but they are improving. Can't wait to try them on the trail.:hmmm:

2 cents

:) Sean,

I have been playing with some 29er Tubeless conversions as of late.

My best luck comes with Python 29er's which are sold as "tubeless ready" this means that the tire has a UST beadlock and sidewalls that are tougher. They will not hold air W/O a proper sealant.

I have been using the Hutchinson Protect Air which does not denature like a Latex will. They say it will last longer than the tire. I have popped open a notubes kit only to see that the Latex has turned into cottage cheese balls.

As for a rim sealant I have been doing 3 wraps of the rim with good quality
3M Electrical tape followed by the Stans Rim strips. You can also use some GE Silicone on the rim joint if you like a bit more insurance.

The strips are crazy price for what they offer but they seem to work.

The real trick is that there is no exposed rim. The strips go up the rim wall such that the Bead sits against it.

This system could NOT be installed with a mini-pump. I have only gotten it to seal with a compressor. Once it seal there is virtually no air loss and they tires roll noticeably faster than they do with tubes inside. Be prepared to carry a tube or face a long walk home.

I would add that using a NON UST tire is what lets the tires burp air. It is important to note that UST compatible tires have a significantly tougher sidewall and a specially designed bead that really locks the tire to the rim.

Back in the 26" days I ripped the hell out of a UST tire and it didn't break the bead off the rim as I rode it down a hill with no air inside.

If you choose to run a NON UST tire you are taking a risk since neither the sidewalls nor the bead were designed to be run without tubes inside. The side walls of UST tire are much stiffer.

As of now there are very few true tubeless options for 29ers. Bontrager has a few but as I am not a Trek dealer i have not played with their tires. I am sure that they are good as Keith still has a lot to do with that program.

Since Mavic has stepped up with the 29er Crossmax rims you can only bet that more UST 29er tires will be coming around the bend in 08'. This is one of the things I will be looking for at Interbike next month.

peas

j

j, how do you like the traction on the python 29ers? do they pack up? good in turns?

I have to admit, I am not overly impressed with the Pythons. Coming from a Rampage/Ignitor combo on the Cdale and 2 Ignitors on the Mary, the Python on the front has been a huge difference traction wise. My first ride with them at Allaire had me eating sand in a turn that I can normally rail right through, and that day with Jake up at KVSP, was a few hours after you guys had that wicked rain storm, so neither front or back did me any good.

On the upside, they roll extremely fast and feel good on the dry stuff, but for me, thats about it. Granted I should play around with the air pressure a bit to see if it helps at all, I do like to run my tires a bit hard, so we will see.

j, how do you like the traction on the python 29ers? do they pack up? good in turns?

The Python is a tire that I did not love in 26" but I do really like in 29".

It never packs up with mud.. I the summer.

I have only had them a few months and I haven't really ridden in deep mud yet.

They are by far the fastest 29er tire I have tried. (I stock 5 different 29er tires now).

I keep them on my SS bike which is mega fast anyway. On my geared i have been riding the Ignitor/Rampage combo. That works out will at Ringwood and the like.

I could deal with the Python at rockier spots but I have been wussing out and taking the gears on the longer rides.

j-

I have to admit, I am not overly impressed with the Pythons. Coming from a Rampage/Ignitor combo on the Cdale and 2 Ignitors on the Mary, the Python on the front has been a huge difference traction wise. My first ride with them at Allaire had me eating sand in a turn that I can normally rail right through, and that day with Jake up at KVSP, was a few hours after you guys had that wicked rain storm, so neither front or back did me any good.

On the upside, they roll extremely fast and feel good on the dry stuff, but for me, thats about it. Granted I should play around with the air pressure a bit to see if it helps at all, I do like to run my tires a bit hard, so we will see.

Try running a Python on the rear with a Ignitor on the front. That seems to bring the traction up a bit.

j

my experience so far...

I've been running Stan's strips on Mavic 517 (non-UST) rims since early July. I have a 2.3 Python on the front and a 2.0 Python on the rear. Both tires are the "enduro weight" UST versions. Sealant is the Hutchinson goop, per J.'s recommendation.

In the six weeks or so that I've had this setup, I've noticed no appreciable air loss. The tires are very tight on the rims, with the rim strips producing a "rubber to rubber" interface.

I was running 40 psi when using conventional tires; I'm down to 30 psi now and can go even lower with the front, I think, because the sidewalls of the 2.3 seem quite stiff.

I didn't do the conversion to save weight, but to give myself a better ride and more traction on my rigid 26" SS. I couldn't be more pleased so far.

first review

Maiden voyage tonight for the tubeless conversion. Pretty sweet, was really enjoying it. Hit a few little jumps, and drops which seemed great. Then went off to hit some singletrack and got a puncture, actually more like a tear, right at the bead. White stuff started to spew like...............................:hitsfan: I'll leave that alone. Needless to say I was NOT happy. Put a tube in and finished the ride. Back at the lot, one of the regulars on these recommended that I stay away from Kenda's because he always tore them up. Will try Ignitors now.
To be continued.

If you have UST rims and UST tires, is there any reason to use sealant? The thought of that goo spewing has kept me away from tubeless on my 26".

If you have UST rims and UST tires, is there any reason to use sealant? The thought of that goo spewing has kept me away from tubeless on my 26".

The goo will seal anything that punctures the tire. As long as you are running the right tire or dont rip open the side wall, you shouldnt have that problem. I dont have UST's but all that i have ridden with that do have them, I have yet to see them flat. Or have any pressure issues. Id run em no doubt.

to goo or not to goo

Yes, even less chance of flatting.

I found each tire has it own personality. I've run Michelins's with no sealant and was OK. Hutchenson's, seem to need sealant (had some slow leaks i couldn't fix). Specialized Resolutions i'm on now, lose air over few days without sealant.

I've been on UST wheels/tires since 04 and have (knock on wood) only flatted once. With or with out sealant, I'm sold on UST.

i have three sidewall cuts in my ignitor rear tire that i'm pretty sure would not be sealable by the goop. all are from mahlon/ringwood rocks.

I took advice from a friend who suggested Rampages, so I ordered them....we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom