You Ghetto?

lou_b_83

I know a bunch of you have or are trying the ghetto tubeless. I want to know what trick you are using (Tape or cut tube) and if it has been working for you. Any problems? Do you use tubeless tires?

I did a plain ol' WTB Dual Duty 29" wheel with Gorilla tape, homebrew sealant and non tubless Ignigtor... like a charm... yo.

gorilla tape works fine as soon as you get it sealed for the first time

Not using that anymore, but have in the past when i was on 26" stuff

currently running stan's rims with yellow tape and homemade sealant using recipe off mtbr with mold release, liquid latex, ammonia, dryer lint, and slime mixture i haven't even put air in my tires (bonty xr 1.8 29er) on salsa vaya since initially set up 6 months ago, they seal THAT well!

I've had great results with 1" Gorilla tape, Stan's, non-tubeless tires, and presta valves cut out from old tubes. I use super soapy water in a spray bottle to cover the bead then an air compressor to set it. I pop it off I a small area and then put in 2.5 scoops for a new 29er tire.
Some tires harder than others to but eventually they all work out well.

BTW Lou, I'm moving over to Columbia. Got a place on Indian Head by Dalton's. moving in spring. We should try to ride.

I've had great results with 1" Gorilla tape, Stan's, non-tubeless tires, and presta valves cut out from old tubes. I use super soapy water in a spray bottle to cover the bead then an air compressor to set it. I pop it off I a small area and then put in 2.5 scoops for a new 29er tire.

BTW Lou, I'm moving over to Columbia. Got a place on Indian Head by Dalton's. moving in spring. We should try to ride.

I'm down for riding anytime. Let me know.

Wow big move you carrying your stuff over the walkbridge :D daltons is owned by longtime friends. If you go in tell them you know me.

I'm am a little shocked to see more tapers then tubers. I have wide 32mm rimes. Think the tape will still seal well??

Will do Matty! I'm moving everything with my kid's Burley cart! I can see my new place across the river from my front porch.

I've tried the gorilla tape method a couple of times but could never get it to seal. The split tube method works for me every time with no hassle. I use Matty's home brew sealant. :)

Having tried both, split tube always was easier to seal and more reliable (better seal/less burps). Once you get the hang of it you can even re-use the split tubes when swapping tires.

All Ghetto, all the time: Gorilla tape (the wider stuff - 2"???) cut in half, served up with home brew on four different sets of wheels - one set running UST tires and three not. In general, set up's been pretty easy utilizing a compressor, although have one set with Nevegal 2.5s that took me a while to get to hold air. Needed to do two applications of sealant with a lot of soapy water, but once seated up, they've all held very well, and running all at pretty low pressures (22 - 25 psi).

The split tube method works for me. I use MattyB's home brew also. Never had a problem. WTB Laserdisc rims and Continental Mountain Kings.

Was going to tape up but then I found extra holes in the rim.
IMG_20130116_150108.jpg

Do you think I can seal up the little holes with JB Weld. They go all around the rim.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom