Wildcat Ridge WMA Conditions

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Such a nice day I had to get out. Did a quick loop up Wagon Wheel, Odin's Ladder then over on Wildcat Ridge to Oreland down. All was good except the double track leading to Oreland was soggy. Tree needs cutting about halfway down Oreland.
20230210_152920.jpg

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Any intel on the trail that starts across the street from the batcave lot and ends up on snake hill rd? I recently noticed it pop up on trailforks.

In the past I’ve noticed the trail head on snake hill rd but only rode maybe a hundred feet of it. Looks like a nice way to avoid that stretch of green pond road.

kaitlyn

Any intel on the trail that starts across the street from the batcave lot and ends up on snake hill rd? I recently noticed it pop up on trailforks.

In the past I’ve noticed the trail head on snake hill rd but only rode maybe a hundred feet of it. Looks like a nice way to avoid that stretch of green pond road.
It's definitely techy on both sides. Slabs on the board of ed side and rock gardens on snake hill side. There's a nice rock roll at the top. Fun black diamond.
As an aside, I've been trying to piece a route from WML to there, but haven't been able to connect things yet. There's a bunch of old roads or rail beds or something back there possibly from the iron mine days.

Ashcor

Black diamond technical climbs on both sided (up from BOE or Snake Hill). Black Diamond down on "The Way", Blue Square Down "Ore-Deal" on the snake hill side.

"The Way" up from BOE is a longer climb but a bit easier as it has some up and down so you get some breathers. Combination of single track and rock slabs. Some tricky technical spots but all very grippy. Going down this trail keeps you on your toes as well.

"OreDeal" up from snake hill is shorter but more of a brutal climb as there is really no break, it's climbing the entire way. Mostly single track with some rock work switchbacks on the lower end and a small rock slab feature near the top. Running down this reminds me of going down white from hawkwatch.

Fun big roller at the top where the two trails meet at an old jeep road, probably the largest roller in wildcat that I've found (not counting Fugawe area). There's two rock cairns marking a short trail that leads to the top of the roller and it dumps you right back out to the same trail.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Black diamond technical climbs on both sided (up from BOE or Snake Hill). Black Diamond down on "The Way", Blue Square Down "Ore-Deal" on the snake hill side.

"The Way" up from BOE is a longer climb but a bit easier as it has some up and down so you get some breathers. Combination of single track and rock slabs. Some tricky technical spots but all very grippy. Going down this trail keeps you on your toes as well.

"OreDeal" up from snake hill is shorter but more of a brutal climb as there is really no break, it's climbing the entire way. Mostly single track with some rock work switchbacks on the lower end and a small rock slab feature near the top. Running down this reminds me of going down white from hawkwatch.

Fun big roller at the top where the two trails meet at an old jeep road, probably the largest roller in wildcat that I've found (not counting Fugawe area). There's two rock cairns marking a short trail that leads to the top of the roller and it dumps you right back out to the same trail.
I still need a tour with you one of these day.

kaitlyn

Ooooh, what's Fugawe area? I paged back in the thread and found the first reference, I thought riding north of the dam on the west side of the res with off limits? I've explored a bit of the east side, until the reservoir patrol told me to turn around. Saw a lot of dirtbikes and giant quads back there a few times.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's definitely techy on both sides. Slabs on the board of ed side and rock gardens on snake hill side. There's a nice rock roll at the top. Fun black diamond.
As an aside, I've been trying to piece a route from WML to there, but haven't been able to connect things yet. There's a bunch of old roads or rail beds or something back there possibly from the iron mine days.
You can get there from wml... I rode the trail last year and it kind of a mess now... It would be kinda hard to explain how to get there from wml... Easier way would be to get to the top of the way and go left on the fire road... It's a hell of a climb but you will eventually cross the powerline easement and end up behind wml

kaitlyn

You can get there from wml... I rode the trail last year and it kind of a mess now... It would be kinda hard to explain how to get there from wml... Easier way would be to get to the top of the way and go left on the fire road... It's a hell of a climb but you will eventually cross the powerline easement and end up behind wml
I've done pathing from the A-field to the hilltop ridgeline a little before where the trails are...I just lose it there. I'll keep looking.

notcho

Everything in the area is in great shape, Wildcat likely the same. We’re in for some snow and rain then more snow this week so tomorrow might be last day of these amazing conditions for bit.

kaitlyn

Whelp, I gifted my multitool to the trail goddess on wildcat ridge north (yellow) today. Almost lost my keys too. Now, that would have been bad. Fwiw, conditions are pretty perfect, for now.
So, considering my method just failed me (a little camera bag on the stem), how do you carry your tools and whatnot on your rides?

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions