Wildcat Ridge WMA Conditions

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Has anyone ever been bothered by anybody riding there?

Inside of Wildcat, I've never gotten a hard time from anyone. I've seen and spoken with hunters on a number of occasions, and they were always friendly toward me. We're still not technically allowed to ride there though.

Anyone hike or bike here in the past few days? Have an idea what the conditions are like? These trails are always pretty hardy so hoping a few miles this weekend could be in store.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Great frozen conditions this morning - no ice or snow left. Only hit a little bit because spent most of my ride on Telemark side. 1 big multi-blowdown on white spine by the cemetery that needs a chainsaw. That's the only one i saw.
20220219_105309.jpg

Last edited:

kaitlyn

Sooooo. How long does wildcat take to dry out? I'm going to poke my nose there tomorrow and see. It's way too warm to not be in the woods.

kaitlyn

Wow, today was beautiful. It's a little muddy in all the areas that it's generally muddy, and the rest is beautiful.
You know how I was thinking of a bridge on Odin's Ladder where there is a stream crossing? Well, there is a perfect little bridge there now, not by me. Many thanks to the whomever.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
The bridge across Beaver Brook on Meriden Rd, adjacent to the entrance of the Righter Mine Trail, is going to be closed for replacement starting April 4th. The project may take several months.

I suspect the end of the Righter Mine will be blocked, either purposely and or by equipment and the construction zone.
Going thru the construction area is dangerous and I'm sure not permitted.
Crossing the stream is not possible due to private property as well as the possibly dangerous water levels.

As a result, we will have to adjust the ride routes to use either splitrock dam, or the new bridge on Blue to cross between east and west sections of the WMA.

This will also affect road rides, so pass the word on to the local roadies.

1648744869405.png

xc62701

The bridge across Beaver Brook on Meriden Rd, adjacent to the entrance of the Righter Mine Trail, is going to be closed for replacement starting April 4th. The project may take several months.

I suspect the end of the Righter Mine will be blocked, either purposely and or by equipment and the construction zone.
Going thru the construction area is dangerous and I'm sure not permitted.
Crossing the stream is not possible due to private property as well as the possibly dangerous water levels.

As a result, we will have to adjust the ride routes to use either splitrock dam, or the new bridge on Blue to cross between east and west sections of the WMA.

This will also affect road rides, so pass the word on to the local roadies.

View attachment 181919
Easy solution. Cross the river further up righter mine and head over towards wild blue. :thumbsup:

TommyF

I was wondering why the signs are up saying the road will be closed on or about the 4th. Now I have to find a new route to work for the summer.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Going to have to climb New Way down or take the jeep trail off of beach glen straight up.

Also affects my commute to work.

1TrackMind

I was hoping to ride here o Wednesday.. first, can I with conditions and WMA rules? 2nd. Any good routes? I was planning on parking by lower Hibernian road, take four birds, to yellow, oreland, kdm and back? Anyone recommend better routes.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Update on the bridge on Meriden Road. It's completely gone. They have a sketchy scaffold over the stream that looks walkable. It looks like it will be a while. They have excavated pretty far back to install some new piers, along with a large pipe to bypass the area while they are working. I might add the motos have been very active lately. Blue is really getting torn up. They (motos) also seemed to have created a reroute which most definitely goes onto PRIVATE property - don't go left after the bridge on Beach Glen trail heading east.

Saw three dirt bikers out there yesterday. There's no stopping those folks. Stinks about that bridge being out for so long. Taking blue out to meridan, across that bridge and up that trail that forks to the right was my preferred route.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions