Wildcat Ridge WMA Conditions

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
In a nutshell, bad. I hiked beach glen (blue) up jeep trail to white over the hawk watch and down back to beach glen. At least half dozen large trees down on blue. The top of the mountain faired much better though. Hawk watch south on white is clear (enough). Of course this inconvenience is of minor consequence. If your friends need help lend a hand.

Drove - didn't hike it yet around the dam side. Amazing that not many trees are down. Hopeful.

Green trail alongside dam runoff brook clear to field. Field is a mess, many many trees down -. You cant see how bad it is from Merridan Rd.

Wildcat Trail Clearing 11/10/12 9am

Thank you for the recon info, keep it coming.

I'm going to start trail clearing on the south side this weekend.
If you want to help, I could use a few people.
Must be WCC registered and JORBA members.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/wcchome.htm
http://www.jorba.org/node/50

Meet 9am at the Meridan Rd access.
I will start on the Beach Glen Trail (light blue) going east (towards green).

Be prepared for a lot of walking...no bikes.
Wear long sleeve shirts, jackets, long pants, work boots, and bright orange as there will be hunters out there.
Bring water.
If you have a hardhat bring it.
Gloves supplied.
Leave your chainsaw at home.
I have some folding hand saws and a few two man saws.

rsvp
wildcat at jorba dot org
973dash879dash0820

Last edited:
Took upper hibernia rd (hit some yellow - nothing major) to Orange to Blue yesterday. Not bad. One tree down by the river under grafitti cliffs. The rest is good.

Around the res. dam it doesn't look too bad.

The section you are going to address is probably the worst I have seen.

The section of Beach Glen Trail ( light Blue) parallel to Meridan Rd, and the beginning of the Righter Mine Trail (green) is now clear.

Thanks to Utah and GSS for helping to clear the trails this weekend and Graveyardman67 for the recon info.

Attachments

• PB110075.jpg
    PB110075.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 605
  • PB110072.jpg
    PB110072.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 536
Oh man, I didnt know you were going back for that section...Nice work!!

The section of Beach Glen Trail ( light Blue) parallel to Meridan Rd, and the beginning of the Righter Mine Trail (green) is now clear.

Thanks to Utah and GSS for helping to clear the trails this weekend and Graveyardman67 for the recon info.

Thanks guys, thats awesome! Was bummed, I work Saturdays so this was out. Helped out elsewhere Sunday.

Can't wait to get back to Wildcat. Need some rocks in my diet. :D

Last edited:
there is a good amount of trees down on the yellow just after you cross the power line coming from the reservoir

Thank you for the recognition and update.
We will be out clearing again this weekend.

I will make some time this weekend.

Yellow near Upper Hibernia where the wood bridges are has a major blow down that is impassable. The remainder of yellow down to the stream is rideable with trees down and some re-routes in place - oh except the spiney rock offshoot - had to take main trail. (Basically what Gingertooth said). Best approach is going to be parking at powerlines on Upper Hibernia and walking down to clear.

White from Hawkwatch to graveyard is mostly ok. As is orange in same direction.

definitely going to need a chain saw. it is all possible to clear rather than rerouting. Handsaw is join to take too long.

The bulldozer would work but unfortunately it may impact the beautiful singletrack in a highly negetive manner.

I dunno, it makes plenty of places to pass at Lewis Morris.:D:popcorn:

Oddly, I posted that in the morning and it popped up after lunch. Weird.

We did a lot with handsaws last weekend, I was actually pretty surprised how well it worked. Sorry I can't make this one either.:(

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions