What wine are you drinking now?

Oh SNAP, an actual Premier Cru wine in the wild! Did you have any trouble receiving the wine you bought from Fox?

For those unfamiliar with the case, John Fox, head of Premier Cru wine, was tried and found guilty of a Ponzi scheme of sorts with many people never receiving the wines they purchased (though mostly BDX and Burg).

Lol. We were talking about that last nite when I pulled the bottle and made a toast to Fox having lots of "play dates" in prison. I bought a bunch of stuff from PC. When things were going south I had them ship most of the stuff they were holding for me but I never got everything I purchased. It wasn't too bad for me but there were tons of people who spent big $$ that really got shafted by Fox. Amazes me that the guy spent tens of millions of $$ that they couldn't recover.

the 12 lytton springs has to be one of the best ridge zins i've ever had. Amazing balance of dark zin fruits with a touch of earthy mushroom and sous bois. Ive got 1 left downstairs and am guarding it with my life! ?
Yeah, it was one of the better Lyttons I have had. Totally agree. It did have great balance and amazing fruit. I am afraid this may have been our last one. Holding out hope that one or two may be in hiding though

Volker Eisele is a smaller producer up on the eastern hill opposite the mayacamas in Napa and somewhat dear to us as its one we discovered on our honeymoon. Like other mtn appellations, they're less jammy and more tannic, though not as powerful as Howell mtn. While I do enjoy some valley floor cabs, I like the balance of mountain cabs a bit better.

The Terzetto is thier bdx blend and was hitting the spot with some ny strips last night.

IMG_20200504_212310.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, almost 30 years! Did the Chianti have the bones to go the distance?

We were at Terroir in the city one time and they had a 74 Barbera on the weird and wild by the glass list. Not the kind of wine varietal you normally see with so much age on it. Lol. Wine was pretty much dead though, really tired tasting. Nose of brown sugar and steel fruit cake but taste was amateur basement mushroom farm with electric jolt of incongruously high acidity. They had it there as a novelty as they knew that it wasn't really viable. Whole case was the same. Still an interesting taste of history though.

IMG_20180707_232755.jpg

Wow, almost 30 years! Did the Chianti have the bones to go the distance?

We were at Terroir in the city one time and they had a 74 Barbera on the weird and wild by the glass list. Not the kind of wine varietal you normally see with so much age on it. Lol. Wine was pretty much dead though, really tired tasting. Nose of brown sugar and steel fruit cake but taste was amateur basement mushroom farm with electric jolt of incongruously high acidity. They had it there as a novelty as they knew that it wasn't really viable. Whole case was the same. Still an interesting taste of history though.

View attachment 128247
A '74 Barbera? Now we're talking some real age! Very cool.

As for the '82 Coltibuono while certainly past its peak it was actually quite enjoyable. The tannins are faded but the classic sangiovese fruit is still there. For wines like this, I think it depends on your tastes. My wife and I share a similar palate and have really come to appreciate wines with a bit of age and all the nuance that comes with it. What's surprising for us is that my 24 yr old son and 21 year old daughter really enjoyed this as well. I was looking for a lighter wine to pair with the asian pork chops for dinner and this was a decent pairing. The mistake I made tonight was serving the chianti after the brunello which was much bolder and vibrant.

? Does the wife know? :banana:

Now on a more serious note... how's it drinking??? You've either imbibed previously or you've got a WBS, i.e. "WAY BELOW shoulder" level ;)

She saw it and like Marcel in Silent movie - :D

It is very good! Opened it about 10 years ago. It stays hidden, so i forget about it.
Have a mid-80s australian (not tawny) that gets a little love now-and-then.

Couple of 50yo chiantis and a bordeaux that should never be opened - yuck.
Look good on the shelf !

Back
Top Bottom