What wine are you drinking now?

Shaggz

A strong 7
Full disclosure, I do this for a living. However, i do not directly represent most of what I like to drink, and you will not typically find them case stacked in every store.

While better known for roses, I love Gerard Bertrand Cotes de Roses chardonnay from Languedoc. It is not your mother's flabby KJ.

20190830_185721.jpg

Roadie

Red. I don't know, up ta $50 I guess.
I am a big Ridge fan. 39701922-262A-467C-AA03-620ECF2CBC48.jpeg They make an Estate Cab and a Merlot that are pretty great. Can be hard to find but Stirling Fine Wines gets them in every so often. Easier to find and a little less pricey are their Geyserville or Lytton Springs blends. No cab or merlot in them but for me they are usually better than anything in their price range ($30ish)

Shaggz

A strong 7
Love Ridge, I have a sentimental connection to Lyton Springs Zin as my wife paired this with the first meal she ever prepared for me over 20 years ago (Boston Market Chicken, all the sides and homemade brownies).

TBH, no need to spend $50 on wine, and Napa Valley prices are out of control. At one point I would have said Washington Merlots are my desert island reds and their cabs are really great, too (opposite of CA, WA merlot big, bold, cabs are softer and more approachable).

Wines from Spain are fun and reasonably priced, so easy to explore. Portugal is another go to region (several years ago they dominated WS Top 100).

Roadie

How'd the 11 show?
It was drinking well. Red fruited and balanced. Nice floral aromas too. Great vineyard and producer. Our last bottle.

Agree with you on the lack of value in Napa. I think most Bordeaux in the $20-$50 is going to be a better value than anything from Napa

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Surprising this is only becoming a thread now. I went to Astor wines today to pick up my favorite budget wine, only to find out they were sold out. We had three cases in the house until this week when I realized we were out. We like dry earthy reds and this was a bargain. Carigan 2016411C46C8-703A-4348-B928-84B00E0DC24B.jpeg

Shaggz

A strong 7
It was drinking well. Red fruited and balanced. Nice floral aromas too. Great vineyard and producer. Our last bottle.

Agree with you on the lack of value in Napa. I think most Bordeaux in the $20-$50 is going to be a better value than anything from Napa
+1 on France. I love old world reds with barnyard funk and cab franc is my favorite varietal. Done poorly, green and vegetal, properly heaven. There are some great Chinons out there. Also malbecs from Cahors are worth searching out.

TimBay

+1 on France. I love old world reds with barnyard funk and cab franc is my favorite varietal. Done poorly, green and vegetal, properly heaven. There are some great Chinons out there. Also malbecs from Cahors are worth searching out.
No real connoisseur here, but for budget, anytime enjoyment, I loves me some south American or Spanish wines. Chilean cabs are a favorite. This handsome devil right here is the wife's favorite 10dollarest bottle of red.

20190831_000329.jpg

The Kalmyk

The winos coming out like Diana Ross. Can they give beer guys a run for their money?

I’m not a drinker at all but one u20 dollar bottle and u10 that may still be hot to trot...

Castellero de Diablo Merlo from Chile

Red Diamond Merlot from Washington State

Last edited:

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No real connoisseur here,

I don't think many people really are. Is usually a crap shoot.

My wife's uncle was a sommelier at Hamilton Farms country club. Meaning, he knew his shit and would sell a shit load of wine to members.
Being able to go to a wine shop with him was something I wished I'd taken advantage of more. He's point out 15$ bottles that would blow you away.
Now he moved to Colorado so I never get that opportunity.

Top Bottom