What have you done to your bike today?

Got the new rear tire on, setup tubeless. May not be much, but I'm learning as I go. Anxious to see what traction I get. Still need to work up some type of new bash guard since I pulled a whoops trying to clear an obstacle a few weeks ago (hey, I didn't airball it though).

Attachments

• PXL_20201023_001753138.jpg
    PXL_20201023_001753138.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 101
Put a 10 speed SLX group with an 11-28 cassette on the Brodie, I dropped a chain yesterday and twisted it all to shit so I used what I had to get that bike functioning again. At least this one has a clutch but it doesn't shift as crisply. Also switched the chainring from a 30 to a 32. I figured since they added a couple more weekends at creek I should be ready in case I have an opportunity to go again.

Replaced my beat down Mavic mtb shoes with these 'jazzy' orange Giro jawns. Also put pink Muc Off valve stems in mtb & gravel wheels (new tyre on rear gravel wheel)
View attachment 142099
For some reason I can envision myself being far, far from home riding in those and thinking....there's no place like home....there's no place like home....🌪️

Quick follow-up on this: if you have a gravel bike, consider wider tires. The 44 mm on the Routt felt super stable. And while I'm sure they'll roll slower on pavement, I didn't notice any slow-down on dirt and gravel. I rode them out at Michaux and put them through their paces - from techy singletrack to sand, they just felt so much more stable than the 35 mm I had before, and descents were so much more fun. I'd say that if you have a gravel bike, try wider tires if you can fit them. And if you're considering buying one, try for a frame that allows you a wider range of options (ifI had it all to do over, I'd probably go with the Routt 45, which can fit up to a 50 mm tire.) Even if you just keep a set for more aggressive rides, wider tires just make for a really fun ride.
Definitely something to keep in mind. My GT Grade barely has room for the 35mm tires on it.

Cobbled together an old Giant Boulder I got for free using odds and ends I had on hand. It is now sporting a Sun tour drive-train. The derailleur looks like one I pulled off of a kids bike at some point, and the rear shifter is from my old '92 GT Tequesta. Gripshift front shifter, mis-matched grips, an old bulky gel seat and this thing is just oozing with style. Pure 21 speed bliss!

Quick spin after dark and it seems fully functional. Will fine tune it tomorrow and then it's going to the mother of one of my kids friends so she can cruise the neighborhood and the Columbia trail with the kids. It should be more than adequate for that duty.
This description requires pics

Back
Top Bottom