What have you done to your bike today?

MtTrailz

I added a dropper post to my bike, my first. The one I really a want is on backorder for a month. Couldn't find an available substitute (external route, 375mm total length) so I bought a lever based dropper to learn with. Yeah, I know, far from a remote dropper, but it will do until the backorder comes thru. Got tired of waiting.

mtn

Well, a couple days ago I had my first experience mounting tubeless tires. Watched DT's video and it went smooth as butter. Not a drop of sealant outside the tire. Used the hand pump and pop pop it went right on.

Got the same exact minion dhr in the mail yesterday and it has been a nightmare (not actual. My nightmares are very very very graphic). Mounted it up and it didn't go. Did everything I know to do to seat tires except from using the butane trick. Sealant went everywhere. Ended up removing the tire, putting a tube in (26" fit), and seated both beads. Removed one bead and the tube, filled the sealant back up and even with a rope, still didn't go. Bout to use that rope to do a little something else to that tire.

So. I'd rather not have my first attempt be an anomaly, but I guess it was. Now I'm going to re-buy a blow gun attachment for my air compressor and have a go at it.

mtn

I added a dropper post to my bike, my first. The one I really a want is on backorder for a month. Couldn't find an available substitute (external route, 375mm total length) so I bought a lever based dropper to learn with. Yeah, I know, far from a remote dropper, but it will do until the backorder comes thru. Got tired of waiting.
Considering I still dismount to adjust seat height, Id say you are doing pretty good.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
New grips (same exact ones as the old boys but purple) and got some flats from the local skate/scooter/bmx shop here in Woodbridge.... I'd rather swap pedals than wear carbon soled cycling shoes while I roll around with my little girl.
20201120_134550.jpg
20201120_144008.jpg

Ian F

Dingo

Your Spot came with lock-on grips? My Ryve came with slip on grips I had to cut off.

In other news, I finally got the Hutch stem from my childhood BMX bike listed on eBay. Holy crap... an hour into the listing and it's already over $175. :oops:
That stem looks like it could destroy a knee. What makes it worth so much?

one piece crank

Your Spot came with lock-on grips? My Ryve came with slip on grips I had to cut off.

In other news, I finally got the Hutch stem from my childhood BMX bike listed on eBay. Holy crap... an hour into the listing and it's already over $175. :oops:
Be sure to list that Hutch headset lock nut, also crazy money, and the forks, and the brakes, the Z-Rim wheels, sell the tires separately, and maybe the GT post & bars as a combo.

Ian F

Be sure to list that Hutch headset lock nut, also crazy money, and the forks, and the brakes, the Z-Rim wheels, sell the tires separately, and maybe the GT post & bars as a combo.
Will do. I honestly couldn't remember if the headset lock was a Hutch part or not. I thought it might be, but couldn't remember for sure. Thanks a bunch!

edit: I see there is one on eBay right now with bids over $60 and it's in worse condition than the one I have. I need to get a new bolt for it and then it'll get listed in the next day or so. Edit #2 - holy crap! Sold for $195!

Unfortunately, the seat post appears to be thoroughly seized into the frame. I've already gotten a couple of messages asking about the fork. That will get listed next.

Stem is now over $225. :oops: :oops:

Why? I have no idea. Other than Hutch stuff was kind of the ultimate in "cool" back when I bought them. Then the company went haywire and out of business. The closest mtn bike equivalent might be Brooklyn Machine Works? Although I'd argue BMW stuff is even more rare. Granted, back in the 80's nobody really thought about any of this stuff becoming collectible, so it's only due to my innate pack-rat tendencies that what I have survived.

Last edited:

one piece crank

Go to BMXmuseum.com, create an account, and then search the For Sale section. Once you can log in, you can limit the search to “sold” items only. That will give you a baseline. Otherwise you could leave $$$ on the table, even at prices you’re seeing on eBay. This market is crazy and all over the place.

Oh, think about a keepsake while you still have everything. 20-inch forks make great table lamps, with a head tube section and headset ;). Ive been weeding through my keepsakes...

Last edited:

Ian F

Hmm... Maybe I'll leave money on the table, but in the end I really just need the stuff gone and the extra cash will be nice. I don't need to be greedy and I basically believe the parts are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. I'll be happy if the sales offset the cost of a set of I9 wheels that just arrived.

The stem is now over $230. With another 6 days to go. I'm guessing bids will be slow until the end.

Another part I have is my Sugino CT cranks. Right now, someone on eBay wants $750 for a set with a loose bearing bottom bracket. Otherwise in the same condition as the ones I have. That seems slightly insane.

one piece crank

A stem similar to your sold for $395 (missing bolt & wedge), another sold for $595 (polished up shiny). Sugino CT's are all over the place, up to $600+ for un-mounted, NOS.

The market is full to the brim - collectors, re-pop builders, and of course flippers. I'm nowhere near purging, just selling off stuff I'll never use, a lot of which is NOS. I haven't looked at my old school mountain bike stash, but I dont think that is a money market, yet.

Ian F

I'm basically in purging mode. In the next year or so I need to do a massive (hopefully a complete teardown and rebuild) renovation on my house. And I just have so.... much... stuff... so I need to empty out the attic as well as the basement... and hopefully unload a few guitars as well. However, the aforementioned pack-rat trait makes purging a slow process. While I'm not quite a hoarder (since I can actually let stuff go and feel fine with it), I do look around my house and feel like one.

Top Bottom