What have you done to your bike today?

Ian F

A stem similar to your sold for $395 (missing bolt & wedge), another sold for $595 (polished up shiny). Sugino CT's are all over the place, up to $600+ for un-mounted, NOS.

The market is full to the brim - collectors, re-pop builders, and of course flippers. I'm nowhere near purging, just selling off stuff I'll never use, a lot of which is NOS. I haven't looked at my old school mountain bike stash, but I dont think that is a money market, yet.
Old school mtn bike stuff is definitely a mixed bag. Some of it has some value, but very few items are worth more than their original sale price (even before adjusted for inflation). Of the parts I have, my old Yeti Lawwill DH-6 has the most value, but even that is worth maybe 25% of what I paid for it new back in 1998. I need to get it and the rest of the old 26" stuff I have left out of the attic/basement and sold. Again, partly to help pad the renovation fund and also to just get rid of stuff I'm not using.

I did get the Headlock and the Trickstar fork listed. The Headlock is currently at $46 (was up to $60 for a short time, but I guess someone retracted a bid) and the fork is at $355. And I got a ton of messages asking about what my BIN price was for the fork. After an initial flurry of bids and messages, it's been quiet and I suspect the sniping programs will determine the sale prices in the last seconds.

one piece crank

I’m reconfiguring my RL20ii freestyle bike back to how I had it set up in the mid/late 80’s. Here is the Proclass hard anno rim swapped back to its original front wheel.

D3D2D679-73C4-49F2-8D73-C4CF8A30A9C1.jpeg

Since I was already at the truing stand, I built these for my new 2021 Freestyle build.

24246546-D061-4AAC-912D-24F5619AD333.jpeg

Ian F

A stem similar to your sold for $395 (missing bolt & wedge), another sold for $595 (polished up shiny). Sugino CT's are all over the place, up to $600+ for un-mounted, NOS.

The market is full to the brim - collectors, re-pop builders, and of course flippers. I'm nowhere near purging, just selling off stuff I'll never use, a lot of which is NOS. I haven't looked at my old school mountain bike stash, but I dont think that is a money market, yet.
So... a bit of an update to those who may have been curious. I listed 4 of the parts on eBay: Hutch stem, Hutch 2-1 headlock, Hutch Trickstar fork, and the Sugino CT cranks. The last of the four sold today.

Sale prices before shipping and eBay fees:

Stem - $487 :oops:
Headlock: $162.50
Fork: $860 :oops::oops:
cranks: $305

$1814.50 total... and here I was hoping I might get $1000 for all of it. Wow...

FWIW, I did some light digging in some archived magazines from the period (1983) and as far as I can tell, I paid about $20 for the stem ($52 in 2020 money), $15 for the headlock ($39) and $37 for the fork ($97). I couldn't find a price for the cranks.

The stem and headlock went to the same buyer in CT. The fork to a buyer in FL and the cranks to an overseas buyer (I'll update when I print the shipping label after they pay).

Next I'll clean up the brakes and wheels and list those, although I don't expect those to do as well.

pkovo

New high rise bars on my trials/DJ bike. Just one more weak attempt at making this rig a little more manageable at speed on the BMX track where I’ve been riding it.

Attachments

• 6E2D0EBD-F806-41A4-B473-C5EC5B5B9A77.jpeg
    6E2D0EBD-F806-41A4-B473-C5EC5B5B9A77.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 115

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Stage 1 prep for GFBD, take AXS group off Stormy.

Now that I'm almost 100% in the DT Star Ratchet world, I just keep all my cassette and cog options on separate freehubs so they can be swapped around without tools in like 3 seconds.

20201203_084549.jpg

20201203_084401.jpg

20201203_085056.jpg

don

I’m reconfiguring my RL20ii freestyle bike back to how I had it set up in the mid/late 80’s. Here is the Proclass hard anno rim swapped back to its original front wheel.

Since I was already at the truing stand, I built these for my new 2021 Freestyle build.
I loved those ProClass rims in the hard anno'd version. I had the chrome jobs on my beater bike which weren't nearly as nice. I think Ambrosio made the hard ano'd ones?

What frame are you going to use on the 2021 build?

don

So... a bit of an update to those who may have been curious. I listed 4 of the parts on eBay: Hutch stem, Hutch 2-1 headlock, Hutch Trickstar fork, and the Sugino CT cranks. The last of the four sold today.

Sale prices before shipping and eBay fees:

Stem - $487 :oops:
Headlock: $162.50
Fork: $860 :oops::oops:
cranks: $305

$1814.50 total... and here I was hoping I might get $1000 for all of it. Wow...

FWIW, I did some light digging in some archived magazines from the period (1983) and as far as I can tell, I paid about $20 for the stem ($52 in 2020 money), $15 for the headlock ($39) and $37 for the fork ($97). I couldn't find a price for the cranks.

The stem and headlock went to the same buyer in CT. The fork to a buyer in FL and the cranks to an overseas buyer (I'll update when I print the shipping label after they pay).

Next I'll clean up the brakes and wheels and list those, although I don't expect those to do as well.

Nicely done! Although I'm surprised the Hutch stem didn't go for more. I don't remember too many people running them and stems got so chewed up from install/removals with a hammer and adjustable wrench haha.

$860 Fork makes sense - they weren't the most durable things bitd. I was pretty smooth and broke a dropout on one trying to learn un-turndowns. And being a freestyle fork there was probably less of them made and more broken. The Trickstar forks had double thick dropouts tho IIRC. I love seeing old builds but I couldn't do it. Since I've been young if I don't use a bike/part I end up selling it. It's hard for me to see an unused bike hanging from the wall.

Ian F

Nicely done! Although I'm surprised the Hutch stem didn't go for more. I don't remember too many people running them and stems got so chewed up from install/removals with a hammer and adjustable wrench haha.

$860 Fork makes sense - they weren't the most durable things bitd. I was pretty smooth and broke a dropout on one trying to learn un-turndowns. And being a freestyle fork there was probably less of them made and more broken. The Trickstar forks had double thick dropouts tho IIRC. I love seeing old builds but I couldn't do it. Since I've been yartsoung if I don't use a bike/part I end up selling it. It's hard for me to see an unused bike hanging from the wall.
Yes, mine have the double-thick (5mm) drop outs. They are pretty beefy, although look tiny compared to my mtn bike stuff.

Of course, selling is one thing... actually getting paid, however... the stem and headlock were paid for and shipped out fairly quickly. I'm still waiting to be paid for the fork and cranks. The fork sold on Nov 30 - 4 days ago. So I started an "unpaid" claim with eBay. Especially since eBay has already billed me for the sale. Why would someone bid on something and not actually buy it?

Reactions: don

Karate Monkey

Yes, mine have the double-thick (5mm) drop outs. They are pretty beefy, although look tiny compared to my mtn bike stuff.

Of course, selling is one thing... actually getting paid, however... the stem and headlock were paid for and shipped out fairly quickly. I'm still waiting to be paid for the fork and cranks. The fork sold on Nov 30 - 4 days ago. So I started an "unpaid" claim with eBay. Especially since eBay has already billed me for the sale. Why would someone bid on something and not actually buy it?

Hangover wore off

Ian F

Hangover wore off
Possible... or a fake account, since the bidder has a feedback rating of 1. 😒

But shortly after posting that comment, I received payment for the cranks, so at least those are now labeled and ready to drop off at the Post Office tomorrow. He's actually getting a bit of a bonus as I managed to pound the sealed bearing cups out of the frame. I'm sure no good deed will go unpunished.

Another eye-opener was getting the bill for eBay's cut. 10%. Ouch. Yeah... I didn't really read the listing fine print... still... from a "effort" POV, that 10% is probably worth it vs. trying to sell those parts through other avenues.

one piece crank

$860 Fork makes sense - they weren't the most durable things bitd. I was pretty smooth and broke a dropout on one trying to learn un-turndowns. And being a freestyle fork there was probably less of them made and more broken. The Trickstar forks had double thick dropouts tho IIRC.

I don't remember Hutch as a strong product, more lighter with a tendency to break. I have also never owned one, so cannot speak directly to dropout thickness. You certainly don't see many forks sold alone.

Top Bottom