Us females can do anything! A new generation of women in sport....

S

Shar0se

"I think [the bicycle] has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world," feminist pioneer Susan B. Anthony said in 1896. "It gives a woman a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. The moment she takes her seat she knows she can't get into harm unless she gets off her bicycle, and away she goes, the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood."

I was curious on how much the female population of biking has grown in all its various disciplines and stumbled upon a wonderful article discussing the role of the bicycle in the liberation of women. It's amazing to think that this wasn't ALL that long ago compared to how long humans have been on the planet. http://cyclingsisters.org/node/5020

I know that this thread is not exactly related to mtn-biking and perhaps it belongs in another category but it does have to do with females and sports-- this next link is to an article/youtube video. It's great and just shows us that we are about to embark on a new wave of female athletes with the next generation. Enjoy!!
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...son-5-year-old-s-crazy-handles?urn=nba,122939

Last edited by a moderator:

liong71er

well,..i supposed it's ok for a man like me to said this,..iv'ed allways admired and respected woman riders in any kind of form and discipline towards these sports, especially mountain biking(and all others sports as well)
you got to have lots of courage and skill to do that(wish my wife have courage like all others woman out there had:hmmm:)

again,..... salute to all woman riders out there!!:)

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
well,..i supposed it's ok for a man like me to said this,..iv'ed allways admired and respected woman riders in any kind of form and discipline towards these sports, especially mountain biking(and all others sports as well)
you got to have lots of courage and skill to do that(wish my wife have courage like all others woman out there had:hmmm:)

again,..... salute to all woman riders out there!!:)

That was very sweet, it's all good as long as I don't break a nail :cry:

RC ... :)

Eileen

That was very sweet, it's all good as long as I don't break a nail :cry:

My nails are OK. I love walking around in the summer with my shins all scratched up and explaining to people that it's all from mountain biking :cool:

Thanks for posting - Good Stuff :D

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Nails and shins? Ha!!

How about the huge blacks and blues all over the legs?
The looks are priceless when they go from:
"You poor dear, who could have done that to you?"
to
"You did to do that to yourself and call it fun? You're some sick sort of puppy."

Last edited:

Mare

Guys always say "chicks dig scars". Yes, but what they don't realize is that we dig them on ourselves, not on them so much :)

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I am pretty sure i sold more high end bikes to women this year than men. Especially road bikes.

S

Shar0se

Random Thought

I love being a girlie girl and I love I heading to the trails and playing in the mud. Who says we can't be both?
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokgirl

Spork
I love being a girlie girl and I love I heading to the trails and playing in the mud. Who says we can't be both?
:)

As long as I don't get dirt under my fingernails! That's why I wear full fingered gloves! ;)

My mother always tells me I am going to kill myself trying to keep up with hubby (she blames him, but we have only rode 2x together this year due to the little one).

I have mtn biked for many years but didn't group ride or race b/c I was intimidated by the macho smack talk and other testosterone things... but now hubby says I have turned into a smack-talker myself. Oh boy! :rolleyes:

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
As long as I don't get dirt under my fingernails! That's why I wear full fingered gloves! ;)

My mother always tells me I am going to kill myself trying to keep up with hubby (she blames him, but we have only rode 2x together this year due to the little one).

I have mtn biked for many years but didn't group ride or race b/c I was intimidated by the macho smack talk and other testosterone things... but now hubby says I have turned into a smack-talker myself. Oh boy! :rolleyes:
You go PokGIRL:p Smack talking is part of the fun of mountain biking. We bust each other's 'nads all the time.

Frank

Sasquatch
My nails are OK. I love walking around in the summer with my shins all scratched up and explaining to people that it's all from mountain biking :cool:

Thanks for posting - Good Stuff :D

My wife started riding at the same time I did so we both had a lot of "battle" scars. Once she was working with a temp and that person looked at her legs and said "does your husband hit you often?" After the initial shock, my wife thought it was pretty funny. The temp never liked my though.:hmmm:
But I will say that my wife was fearless as a rider and was ALWAYS the first up any climb.

rayder

any suggestions for alight well ventilated fillface helmet

speaking of tough gals i should have put my carnage at white clay post up here because my poor wife lauren suffered the carnage, Read the post under races, rides and events. I'm curious if any of you other ladies have ridden that section.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Great article. They could have broken up the text a little better, but it was a great read.

i dated a women's studies professor once, and she would have a field day with this response in this context. it's all good though. it'll be interesting in the future, when most of us are far too old to function on a level that could be considered athletic, to see if the acceptance of serious athletic competition among women, which historically is unfortunately rather new, will end up levelling the playing field and girls will start beating the boys. :p:getsome::p

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When I met my wife it was a ski club mt.bike ride in killington, VT. Me the mt.biker and my future wife the avid skier. Well as you can see our dates were somewhere on a mountain. I never skied before but joined her on a trip to grey rocks which I would recommend to anyone wanting to learn or improve their skiing ability. Then had the opportunity to get 47 days that year and travel to Europe and out west. Well fast forward to the bike season and seeing how she really showed great bike skills I got her to enter a downhill race that just turned out to be mount snow national in 1997, black and blue from practice on sat. she was so embarrassed to walk around in shorts. As it turns out she took 1st in the beginners class and had a time that beat the best sport time in the younger age group, she was 36 at the time. So stoked about it she then continued at all plattekill and east coast nationals up to 2000 and only took one second place finish only after finding out that she was pregnant with our first child, otherwise she won every race she entered, she is truly my life and inspiration besides a determined competitor.

Top Bottom