THATmanMANNY

Sorry for the snail pace :sleep:
Earlier this month, this was the last email I heard from Rick:

"Manny:

Some progress. I have just been made Faculty Director of the RU
EcoPreserve, so I now have some sway over what goes on there. I
still need to talk to the Planning Office to get an update on what
they have, if anything, planned for the Preserve. Once I have talked
with them, we should be able to move ahead on some trailwork.

Rick Lathrop"

Neilism

I Owe Norm $10
Thanks for the update.
Snail's pace is better than no movement at all.
Anyone been there within the past month or so? Any comments on conditions?

rlb

Lathrop is a good guy, I had him for a couple of classes a few years ago. I have no doubts that he will follow. Sounds like it's a definite possibility....

frackit

Rode on Sunday...

Rode here Sunday afternoon for the first time. Overall, trail conditions were good. Definitely lots of potential here. Found my way pretty easily...alot of the crisscross trails are overgrown, but some great, very fast rolling sections along the perimeter it seems. I did come across a few 'lurkers' as others have said...they look creepy, but they seem harmless and leave you alone..just looking for a little nookie.

Really fun place..I hope it continues.

smufguy

Needless to say, this is such an interesting topic since I could almost call this trail my home away from home. As always, bureaucracy takes time. One hand needs to talk to the other, the other needs to talk to the legs, the legs need to talk to the hand again........... by the time, the head says lets walk, its grand-kids time.

I am the class of 06 from School of Engineering. To say the least, my experience with Livingston campus or anything remotely associated with Ecology is next to nill. I moved to Piscataway 4 years ago from Franklin Park and its been two years of me actively biking in the EcoPreserve trails in Livingston Campus. Over the early part of this spring/summer the trails were not that bad. Logs were still dry, trails were still dry, and less overgrown vegetation. Now, its a complete opposite. Aside from chaotic vegetation trying to take over the whole preserve, some trails are just left dead and unmaintained.

I normally bike around the stream path and its fine. I presume since most of them find it exciting since it has a lot of drops and fast straights. Just this past Sunday, I went around 430pm and took the different trail to the left (off the main entrance by Road1) and it was a beautiful climb up, but horrible trails. The ground was almost like clay and made the ride even more cumbersome.

I am willing to assist either Manny or anyone for that matter, to get this place alive again. For a lot of us neighboring this place, its a personal playground.

smufguy

I'm also from 06 SoE, ME. What discipline? Seems like a lot of the riders on here are engineers.

I am technically class of 04, but i took a year and a half off due to financial strains to work fulltime. To finish one tech elective in 06 put me on the Class of 06. Major was Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.

THATmanMANNY

We are still shooting for early August. Just waiting to hear on some insurance/risk management on their part and then hopefully we will make some moves.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
maybe you can get some of them boys in the woods to help out, you can offer them a "walk only" trail :D

THATmanMANNY

Well, there was some difficulty getting in touch with the head guy of RU Risk Management over the summer. Therefore, nothing ever took shape for an August TM. However, Rick has had better luck working with his assistant who is drafting up a Liability Waiver for the students/volunteers. So we are getting there slowly but surely. :)

RonC

ZGOZZ Macman
Well, there was some difficulty getting in touch with the head guy of RU Risk Management over the summer. Therefore, nothing ever took shape for an August TM. However, Rick has had better luck working with his assistant who is drafting up a Liability Waiver for the students/volunteers. So we are getting there slowly but surely. :)

Cool look forward in getting this place back in shape...

mtbiskool

I'm so pumped. I can't wait for things to happen here. There are so many possibilities on what this could become. The best part is I only live a few miles away so riding after work would be so much easier.

Last edited:

smufguy

Couple of weeks ago, when I went there the trail seemed to be trimmed by the entrance, Figured someone was looking after it. Last week, it was overgrown and there were stray logs chilling on the trails.

Also noticed a line up of brand spanking Honda Insights belonging to RU grounds. They purchased a million Ford Focus three years ago and all they do is drive around parking lots and chill out to give tickets. Now they need hybrids??? News ones???? I think they are keen on spending money into stupid stadiums and acquiring more vehicles than take care of what matters most.......... educating and increasing outdoor activity. But again, they dont make money out of the RUEP trails, so that explains their negligence.

Top Bottom