The Wonderful World of Road Bike Tires

another +1 for the vittoria rubino pro. 25c is where its at. feels so comfy. the tire feels like a tubeless mountain bike tire. totally worth the extra cash over crappier tires.

+2 for the Rubino 25c. I've put a couple thousand on a set this year and I've been happy with them. I also run ~100 psi. They still look pretty good considering I ride on some pretty crappy roads in PA and NJ - often shooting gravel off into the side brush. I hit a pothole yesterday I didn't see coming and it damn near threw me off the bike... No flat, tho. I will admit there are times when I feel like the tire is slow... as if a brake pad is dragging...

I know jdog is sold on tubeless... but I'm still waiting... when I was in the shop today I noticed there are more tire choices. Maybe in a year or two.

I like gp4k's a ton, for all types of roads. Bummed to read here that the II's aren't as good. Dudes I know who break every bike part they ride seem to have good luck with 4 seasons. That's what I have on the shelf waiting to go on the road bike next.

How about tubeless? Did any of you tried a tubeless road tire set up?

Riding the Schwalbe ONE tubeless in 25c on Hed 25 mm rims. Measure more like 27mm.

This is the best riding tubeless tire I have tried. Schwalbe says that it is their fastest rolling tire and it feels that way. I have no bicycles with tubes. Every time I try a tube it gets a hole in it. Lame.

If I rode tubes I would ride these (they are coming in blk agin this year btw):
http://www.vittoria.com/tire/open-pave-cg/ or these (which are about to be discontinued):http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/racing_tires/ultremo_dd

As for the Original post..

You can always mix tires. Run the 4 season or Gatorskin on the rear and any more racy tire on the front. Like the 4000 for example.(i never recommend super racey tires, but people want em)
http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle_de_en/themes/race/Grand_Prix_4000_S_II.html

The Rubino Pro Tech is also good. No reason to get the Rubino as the Pro-tech version is tougher and they ride pretty much the same.

http://www.vittoria.com/tire/rubino-pro-tech/

Most of the wear and flats are on the rear.

My customers look at me like I have two heads when I recommend:hmmm: two different tires, but the wear and use are totally different.

Last edited:
But that was 5+ years ago. More than likely everything about the tire is totally redesigned & different now.

Truth, now they are worse. The 4000S is a very fragile tire and I wouldn't suggest them for any of the roads we have around here.

I've yet to find a tire better than the Rubino Pro. It does everything well and they're not that expensive. They work in all weather conditions as well. The only other tire than fits the same bill is the Specialized Roubaix, which is pretty much a knock-off of the Rubino. That one is offered in a tubeless version if that's your thing.

-Jim.

this is great.

one more question - whats the difference with wire bead and folding bead for a road tire? weight? just preference?

1100 is too quick, IMO

As for what to buy, I like the Vittoria Rubino Pro. .

This. Rubinos simply work. Rotate your front and rear tire every 500mi and DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT use the rear tire on a trainer or rollers.

That is all.

Conti's run narrow? Or just the 28's? I found that the 23 = 25 and 25 is like 27. That is compared to a Hutchinson anyways./

4-season 28c's are supposed to run more like 25-26, or so I've heard from a few people. It may just be the 28's. YMMV as they say. I have never measured them but I'm looking to get some nice tough 28s for winter riding. I have measured my 23c Gatorskins at 25.5 on HED Belgium rims so go figure. My buddy Kevin (different one) swears by Michelin 25c Pro Race tires which run more like 28s. I can't keep track of which it all anymore.

This. Rubinos simply work. Rotate your front and rear tire every 500mi and DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT use the rear tire on a trainer or rollers.

That is all.

Rotate? Usually I agree with everything TedH says so I'm surprised to hear this from you ;) I've always subscribed to the idea that back tires should stay as back tires. Sure the front and back will wear unevenly but just replace the rears twice as often. Last thing I want to do is stick an old, squared off, cut up tire on the front and do a fast, twisty descent. Anybody else do this?

I use Jim's rotation technique. When the rear is old & worn out I move the front to the rear and put a new one on the front. Protect the front at all costs.

I use Jim's rotation technique. When the rear is old & worn out I move the front to the rear and put a new one on the front. Protect the front at all costs.

Yeah, that makes sense. Make sure that shit always flows backwards.

Worn out rear goes on the front until threads. The front takes much less abuse and weight than the rear so it works.

Last edited:
Worn out rear goes on the front until threads. The front takes much less abuse and weight than the rear so it works.

Putting a squared off rear tire up front doesn't scare you? I look at that and just say no like Nancy Reagan.

Putting a squared off rear tire up front doesn't scare you? I look at that and just say no like Nancy Reagan.

I thought about it more it is isnt what I do:

When rear squares: move to front, move front to rear
When old rear now front shows threads, move back to rear, meanwhile, the old front is probably dead now
Ride rear until it dies

Squared front causes no issues. You would have to corner pretty damn hard to roll onto the square and have it make a difference.

You would have to corner pretty damn hard to roll onto the square and have it make a difference.

Generally agree.

I just find that sometimes, like especially when going down a huge hill at 40+ miles per hour, I think, "You know, I just always want to avoid that extra 1% of 1% of 1% chance of failure". I mean sure, it's really probably not an issue. But for me, I'd rather avoid flatting that front at all costs.

If you are not racing and don't care too much about weight take a look at the Continental 4-Season or the Gator Skins.

I use Continental 4 Seasons year round. I think I get anywhere from 2500-3000 miles out of a set. I hit a lot of gravel and dirt roads on my regular loops. They hold up well. I think I flatted only once last year. and so far, only once this year.

I use Continental 4 Seasons year round. I think I get anywhere from 2500-3000 miles out of a set. I hit a lot of gravel and dirt roads on my regular loops. They hold up well. I think I flatted only once last year. and so far, only once this year.

Didn't you get like 4 flats in 1 ride last year?

capers only rides once a week now though, so that shouldnt count

Didn't you get like 4 flats in 1 ride last year?

I got 2 flats simultaneously. I took my eye off the road for 2 seconds so I can check my facebook on my IPhone and send a couple tweets then hit a pothole.

I guess I counted that as one when it's technically 2

Although This year, I had one tire that ended up being a fluke. I rode approximately 2.5 miles on a brand new tire before shredding the sidewall completely on a single piece of gravel that happened to be sitting on an otherwise smooth and freshly paved road.

Although This year, I had one tire that ended up being a fluke. I rode approximately 2.5 miles on a brand new tire before shredding the sidewall completely on a single piece of gravel that happened to be sitting on an otherwise smooth and freshly paved road.

This. I blew out the sidewall on a brand new gp4ks like this, on a smooth, clean road in Ewing. Booted that tire and rode it for the rest of the season cause it was on rear.

Oddly, I've never flatted on these "fragile" tires even bombing down dirt roads and hitting tame singletrack now and then. Is it luck?

Back
Top Bottom