The Wonderful World of Road Bike Tires

I just find that sometimes, like especially when going down a huge hill at 40+ miles per hour, I think, "You know, I just always want to avoid that extra 1% of 1% of 1% chance of failure".

Norm, you sound like an actuary!!! But I agree.

This. I blew out the sidewall on a brand new gp4ks like this, on a smooth, clean road in Ewing. Booted that tire and rode it for the rest of the season cause it was on rear.

Oddly, I've never flatted on these "fragile" tires even bombing down dirt roads and hitting tame singletrack now and then. Is it luck?

GP4000S' are fragile? Damn. I picked one up to test out on the rear since that's all REI had in stock that night. I threw it on real quick yesterday and went for a ride that usually batters my ass and back. HUGE difference, not only in comfort but in performance as well (went from 23c Schwalbe Luganos to 25c, which is probably why I experienced a huge comfort increase).

so i need new tires for the roadie.

What did you wind up with? I was happy with my new Conti GP4000s until I was heading out the door last Saturday and noticed this up front:

Back still looks OK. I'm torn between GP 4 seasons or Vittoria Rubino Pro for replacement. Not sure which version of the rubino is the favorite around here, there seem to be a bunch of options (Pro III, Pro Tech III, Pro Slick, etc...)

What did you wind up with?

i actually pulled the trigger on the 4 seasons. i liked the idea of the softer rubber for the winter since i am not going to be attempting to break any speed records in the cold. i haven't swapped them out yet tho - i haven't had any time for the bike lately. i'll probably give them a run tomorrow morning.

Before this thread started I reached out to Kevin who said he uses the 4000s... I show up at the bike shop with that in my head. I walked out with a Gatorskin for the rear tire. So now I'm set up with a 4seasom and Gatorskin. Should be aight.

kRxvQix_zps8761a473.gif

Not sure which version of the rubino is the favorite around here, there seem to be a bunch of options (Pro III, Pro Tech III, Pro Slick, etc...)

get dis one: http://www.vittoria.com/tire/rubino-pro/
just realized they have a 28c too, man that must be comfy as shit

Gatorskin is the equivalent of f'ing with a condom. Extra protection but you feel less and it is slipper-er and everything smells like rubber afterwards. So apply that to a tire the slipper-er is less appealing.

On the topic, I am in need of at least one tire to prep for winter. Being that I have a credit to halters, I may try the rubino pro. If it ends up being like the ones I had before, I am definitely going to be slashing some virtual tires.

Before this thread started I reached out to Kevin who said he uses the 4000s... I show up at the bike shop with that in my head. I walked out with a Gatorskin for the rear tire. So now I'm set up with a 4seasom and Gatorskin. Should be aight.

This is my set up since last summer and everything works fine.

Gatorskin is the equivalent of f'ing with a condom.

I forgot what that feels like so what now...

Ben told me he races the 4000s and suggested the Gatorskins for me. So to reference your biking lineage thread I gotta listen to the man;).

I forgot what that feels like so what now...

Ben told me he races the 4000s and suggested the Gatorskins for me. So to reference your biking lineage thread I gotta listen to the man;).

Haha, no problem, Ben knows his stuff, except the mirror. :)

I use gatorskins on my daily commuter during spring/summer/fall, and they're still in good shape after 4k miles. The first one on the back died from a razor cut at 400 miles... No tire would have survived that.

28s are great, if you can fit them, BTW.

I use gatorskins on my daily commuter during spring/summer/fall, and they're still in good shape after 4k miles. The first one on the back died from a razor cut at 400 miles... No tire would have survived that.

28s are great, if you can fit them, BTW.

You know how I fit my 28 in the front... Low pressure and let the under side of the brake shave it down till it didn't rub anymore

Got a 25c Vittoria mounted up front, measures 24mm. In the back I have the other 25c GP4000s which measure almost 27mm. Certainly looks goofy.....didn't get a chance to test it out unfortunately.

Based on this thread, I picked up a pair of Conti 4 Seasons 28mm and threw them on my cross bike.

Quick question - can they handle the canal path @ 100 - 100 lbs of pressure?

Back
Top Bottom