The Wonderful World of Road Bike Tires

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So I picked up some Rubino pro tech's at Halters last week and plan to put them on my all city. If the winter roads end up being like last year, I will probably head back to 4 seasons but time will tell.

jackx

Based on the earlier recommendations, I picked up 2 Vittoria Rubino Pro tires, 28mm. This is quite a departure for me from only using 23mm tires.

I am used to 120-125 psi for 23mm tires, whereas the 28mm tires have a max recommended pressure of 100 psi.

I am hoping that the 28mm will be plush for winter riding.

jackx

I'm sure you'll like the change.

Yeah, I hope so. Previous experience was with Continental Gatorskins, Michelin, Bontrager, Specalized.

I guess I could've gone for something with a bit more tread for the winter, but I probably won't ride the road bike in crappy weather.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Based on the earlier recommendations, I picked up 2 Vittoria Rubino Pro tires, 28mm. This is quite a departure for me from only using 23mm tires.

I am used to 120-125 psi for 23mm tires, whereas the 28mm tires have a max recommended pressure of 100 psi.

I am hoping that the 28mm will be plush for winter riding.

http://www.vittoria.com/tire/rubino-pro-tech/

Note the difference between the Pro-Tech and the pro.

The pro-tech is tougher.

J

grilledcheeseking

J,
Do you have any suggestions for a road tire that's "legal" on a Stan's Iron Cross rim? I know they're light, but pressure limit? C'mon!
-G

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
J,
Do you have any suggestions for a road tire that's "legal" on a Stan's Iron Cross rim? I know they're light, but pressure limit? C'mon!
-G

These rims have a 45psi max. I would go with a Randonneur Pro or a schwalbe marathon in a 35c.

I would run them at 50psi tubeless

More than that and you risk unwinding the wheels as the rim isn't made for higher pressures

Last edited:

grilledcheeseking

These rims have a 45psi max. I would go with a Randonneur Pro or a schwalbe marathon in a 35c.

I would run them at 50psi tubeless

More than that and you risk unwinding the wheels as the rim isn't made for higher pressures

Thanks, J. Would running tubes change your suggestion at all? I was thinking Rando Pro too. I have a set of Marathons kicking around but they're 32's.

I know a dude running Iron Cross with tubeless 28's at whatever recommended pressure. Is he going to die an ugly death one day?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have blown beads right off the rim on arches. Just passed the max pressure (when setting up), so beware

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
Two issues with iron cross is bead height/shape and rim design. At over pressure, you risk blowoff but most certainly the biggest issue will be drop in spoke tension. I'd bet that wheel is barely held together with 28s over 60

grilledcheeseking

Two issues with iron cross is bead height/shape and rim design. At over pressure, you risk blowoff but most certainly the biggest issue will be drop in spoke tension. I'd bet that wheel is barely held together with 28s over 60

This didn't even occur to me, but it makes sense.

I'm staying around 45-50 psi max. so no worries.

As for 28's dude....

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Ok, now that I have a few hundred miles on the rubino's and everyone failed to mention that the rubino's roll about as good as I imagine my dick stretched around my wheel would. The rolling resistance is like if you covered your tire with tubbie glue and went for a ride. And this is compared to conti 4 seasons, which I thought was a slow tire.

Not to mention, already have this in the tread. Could be the lock of the draw, but....

So far not impressed but I guess the cost of admission is lower, so that is a plus.

Now the EVO's, that is a different story, now that is a nice tire and at 27c, nice and fat. Peeps complained about the price but I found them for $100 for the set, which is the same price the rubino's were. Anyone want to buy some rubino pro techs with 300 miles?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
what kevin is saying is that im much faster than i should be on the road because i have these tires

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
what kevin is saying is that im much faster than i should be on the road because i have these tires

That is a tough call. I put these on right are the temps were dropping, so it is hard to compare as everything is slower in the cold. But I definitely notice a difference. Doesn't really matter since it is the winter doe.

What I am really saying is that you would be faster if you didn't ride them all year.

Mountain Bike Mike

Please get the slowest tires as possible so I have a little better chance at keeping up. Oh - I have a nice 40 pound weighted vest you can wear as well.

Mountain Bike Mike

I now have approximately 500 miles on the Conti 4 seasons and love them (thanks to capers' previous comments in this thread - helped me with my decision) - My first road tire (I should've started a thread about it). They seemed to break in about 200 miles ago. They have a nice cushy feel to them and roll pretty well. I really don't know any different but so far so good. They seem to be pretty durable and resilient - they've taken on a few pot holes, rough roads, gravel paths. I even feel perfectly confident that these tires will bite in the turns in wet conditions. They were a but pricey but so far I am happy with the investment.

In the spring I may try a racier smaller tire. I'll be tuned in to this thread to hear what everyone else is running and feedback....

Top Bottom