The (unofficial) Tour de Fat

Enduro Bro Morning

How to start your day with a smile
3 haley toes
1 pots & pans
1 burger
1 tally ho

View attachment 157970

The Ripmo just feels right everytime I swing a leg over it. The geo matches up perfect to what I want in my ride. I tried to copy that with the Vassago Radimus but all the tweaking is not accomplishing the job. The geo numbers for the vassago are 67 HT and 74 ST with a 620 stack with a 140 fork. I come to the conclusion it's the seat tube angle. I have my saddle jammed all the way forward to get my center over the BB more but I still have to get up further to keep the front end from wandering. With the Ripmo with a 64.9 HT and 76 ST with a 630 stack with a 160 fork just makes this bike stay planted. Never does it want to wander. Ripmo is longer which I could move my chainstays length to match and see if that helps or drop the fork to 130 but then I am moving away from the playfulness of it.

So what's the answer, well thats where the Canfield Nimble 9 comes in. With a 66 HT and 77 ST with a stack of 630 with a 140 fork I may find that holy grail from ripmo to hardtail. The Canfield is "know in my house" as the bike for my son. This may change after I get it in a couple weeks and put some time on it. One of these days I do want to also try the Honzo ESD though for what I ride I doubt I would want something as slack as a 63 HT but call me curious. Yes I still love my hardtails and quite honestly ride them typically 6 out of the 7 days a week.

View attachment 157972

Easy Rider ✌
DID YOU WIN THE LOTTO?

It's a wild world out there.

I dont plan my daily rides, only where I plan to start them. The days ride plan begins on the trail.
I do feel fortunate to live 10 mins to the 3 mooches. Stephens usually gets priority because I can throw endless routes and is probably the closest of the 3 for me.

Ripmo day again because I am just feeling one with this bike. I may stay on this until the Nimble9 cometh unless wet weather predicts otherwise. I started from end Waterloo valley road as I have been wanting to conquer that motherfing climb in one shot. Came close, much to do again with ripmo being a better climbing bike then my hardtail, go figure. One fist size loose rock in the singletrack said no way bro as I stared it down it got me. Didn't matter much as I was maxing out at that point. I like starting here because the finish down orange Crush is the best down in the park. Full on hard core natural rough. It does need a day of lose ruble removal as it can get a tad sketchy.

So the plan came to be climb misterburger and blast pots and pans to move up on the leader board on trail forks. This would of been an easy one as its flowing well and that segment stops at the white split. I don't get to caught in any segment challenges per say (why dirk diggler doesn't do strava anymore) but this is ripe for the taking.

On the climb up I could see a massive black bear up on the power lines sitting on his butt. Must of found a grub stash to snack on. He was too far to snap a pic. So I continued, as I got about 3/4 of the way up ollie my dog came bolting towards me whinging as a doe was hot on her tail. I stopped and the doe split off but did not go far. In fact came back towards us. I knew right away she dropped a baby up ahead. Sure enough as I turned the corner.
20210519_063052.jpg

Poor thing just laid right in the middle of the trail. It is amazing that they carry no scent as anyone that's ridden with me with my dog knows she literally runs with her nose to the ground and when I walked past this newborn my dog did not even notice it. Almost stepping on it. You can see how camouflaged it was.
20210519_063101.jpg

So we carried on up through golden trail and I hit the down section on the turn I noticed that my rear tire was folding into the turn. These Mazzas have been great tire except for the side wall tear early on but since I plugged that they have been holding up well. With a combination of needing stans and not having a pump I needed to change my plan it head straight back in a relative way. No pots and pans No haley toe No tally ho and orange Crush. Well a partial orange Crush but by the time I got to it I was about 10 psi. So I limped back and avoided the walk of shame. Tomorrow is another day!
20210519_065355.jpg

Back at the van
20210519_070857.jpg

Screenshot_20210519-073506_Trailforks.jpg

Who's gonna join me tomorrow 👀

what times are you starting and finishing up?? if lines up with school schedule, could meet one morning. otherwise, I'm around during summer.

what times are you starting and finishing up?? if lines up with school schedule, could meet one morning. otherwise, I'm around during summer.
I hope it lines up!

Right now first light is 5:15 and I need to finish 7-7:15. I have been trying to get @pedals out with me but hasn't worked yet 🙃

Always like company and it's a magical time to ride!

I hope it lines up!

Right now first light is 5:15 and I need to finish 7-7:15. I have been trying to get @pedals out with me but hasn't worked yet 🙃

Always like company and it's a magical time to ride!

I'll have to wait until school is over then - I need to be in school/Roxbury at 7 am. But only a month left until I'm free!

Let's call it enduro bro week

Capped off my week with some north side runs
Screenshot_20210521-183334_Trailforks.jpg

If you follow along you can see I out lined the downs in red, a few pedaly spots but really nothing that requires down shifting for the most part.

This has been a fun week with most time spent at the tally ho section.
Screenshot_20210521-182949_Trailforks.jpg

I actually have another 3 at the far south side I plan dial up next week. Having just a short time I am able to get my fitness with climbing 34# bike and some payoffs to boot. It's the best I can achieve for NJ and close to home. Yeah I'd prefer to climb for an hour and have a 5-7 mile payoff but beggars can't be choosers.

Have a great weekend✌

Holy pollen, anyone else noticing the thick air of pollen. My last 3 rides, my eyes were caked with pollen dust. A quick wash of my thick layered pollen coated truck only to see it coated again with a layer of pollen within an hour. I don't seem to be as affected other then congestion like the last few years.

Still climbing hills for fun runs, this weekend switched it up for North Saturday and Deer Park on Sunday. I worked this weekend so first light riding was still going down. I prefer this time of the day when things get hot and muggy. It's also pretty special time as I stated plenty but its really hard to find company as most people like sleep I suppose. Past 2 mornings I was up just before the alarm so body is adjusting. This morning was day 32 of consecutive days of pedaling. All the climbing has strengthen me but not like last year when I was specifically SSing but either I'm OK with that and my knee thanks me.

Just a product mention, I have 3 bikes and soon to be 4 all running microshift advent x drivetrain. I can not rave about this setup enough. Lighter then XO or XT 12spd and most definitely less finicky, quite honestly it's been set it forget it. I felt like I was always dicking with 12 spd and double shifting constantly. So less is more for me with a wide range 10 spd and $68 rear D replacement is easier to swallow.

Happy Trails✌

This morning started off with hit the snooze, then a off with the alarm, I'm skipping today. 10 minutes later I'm up and getting kitted up. Now that I am here typing maybe I should of went with my first intention 😅.

I wanted to put together the 3 most southern runs at stephens, for the folks that follow along who just want to do slow climbs for fun runs. As I was making my first climb jdog text me about that sweet V10 he got on a trade in. Sent him a text back that I'm on a climb thanks for the break 😁.
20210525_055016.jpg

It's probably a good thing I just purchased a new to me RV. Which saves me from spending for my future injuries. I still have a very capable DH bike even though I use the ripmo exclusively these days.
20210521_120742.jpg

Well the fun stopped half way down my first run, this is the shorter and more flowy side of the orange trail (though it seems the park changed this trail to red) I came into one of the many turns hot at full speed and then everything went into slow motion. Oh no front tire is slidddding out. Can not correct, I'm goooooing down, then Thudddd! Laid there for the moment to assess, ouch this hurts that hurts fuck everything hurts.
So the final tally stiff neck, sore shoulder, bruised ribs, swollen knuckle and pinky and dirt rash knee. It's competition between the rash and pinky on which hurt more.
20210525_071828.jpg
20210525_071855.jpg

Anyway I thought about pulling the plug but I went back up again and wanted to complete the 3 runs. Probably not the best idea as breathing hurt and my grip on the injured hand was not good so of course I limped down orange Crush ( my name not TF name) and called it a day.

Here is what I planned maybe by the end of the week I try again. Mind you the climb is long and some pavement is involved. I hope I that these rides can help some other like minded folks to find the fun runs in Stephen's.
Screenshot_20210525-071747_Trailforks.jpg

Keep Rubber side down 🤪

Morning Dew
20210527_060115.jpg

Well the streak has ended which happens when you have 3 rounds with Tyson and last 20 seconds or crash your bike a full pin on a DH run.
I surely don't bounce like I used to thats for sure.
So yes I woke up yesterday to ride and then came to my senses. Leg is fine, knuckle/pinky are ok but what I really am struggling with is what seems to be a pectoral strain, bruise or tear. Definitely not ribs, its deep tissue. Hard to lift the arm over shoulder height, cough or sneeze is like getting poked with a hot poker.

Anywho I got on the bike and did my typical wet trail ride which is not on wet trails but pretty easy as you go of dirt road, fire road and quad trails. I did just fine but any bounce or step down was just painful. Guess I will stay on this route until I can not feel this pain.

Ride on 👍

I will start this off addressing @JimN
If you want proper grammar and punctuation then I advise you to read @Norm blog. What you get here is a barely earned High School diploma from North Warren regional that could be argued qualifies less then a GED. I could present this like I like my books more pictures then words if you'd like 😀

I managed to squeeze a ride in this morning but did not make back to the van dry. In fact I cut it short due to the fact it's was getting super dark on me. What I did was start at the far south end to make that stupid climb, another fail. I have been getting 3/4 of the way which is where it is the most technical and also when I'm about gassed. Headed over to climb the burgers to golden then hit the pots and pans down. Thanks to whoever cleared that trail. Back up via Haley which I tipped over half way up on the downside of the hill. A couple of rolls later I was back on the bike. This was where sky's were getting dark was planning to go down the burgers back up Haley and over to orange Crush. Skipped that headed to OC and the skies opened just at the start of OC. Not an ideal situation so I managed my way down on the carefully but aggressively. Soaked but still satisfied that I got my ride on.
Screenshot_20210603-115329_Trailforks.jpg

Tonight I'm gonna start putting that sweet canfield together 🤘

So ok, fuck, grammar, in, here,,,,,,,,,,,;;;;;;;

We were riding there like 2 weeks ago and @capedoc just slow rolled himself over on Hally To in what was such an awesome thing to watch. You roadie pricks are fun to mountain bike with.

Order these from best to worst:

1. Pots & Pans
2. Burger Meister
3. Tally Ho

Back
Top Bottom